Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Hi, I purchased an iphone 3Gs less than a year ago (September 2009) and I noticed the cable I use to charge the phone is frayed and about to break. I was wondering if the cable is covered under the standard 1 year Apple warranty that is offered on the iPhone. I'm a little surprised that the cable broke considering I've been very careful with it and continue to wrap it up with the same creases/folds as it has had since day one. Below is a (fuzzy) picture of the cable in question. Thanks in advance.

15mfv6c.jpg

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
It's a known issue that's not technically covered after 90 days, but it depends on the Genius you get.

I've had mine replaced twice (once with the 3G, once with the 3GS), but it was because I was there for a different issue that definitely was covered, brought the cord in and asked nicely, telling them I knew it wasn't covered, but I'd appreciate a bit of help. ;) They appreciated the low pressure request and replaced it both times.

It can't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if they say no.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I luckily got mine replaced once. The genius asked the manager and he was a a$$ about it! Basically saying it was my fault. So it really does depend on who you get!

udance4ever

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
Good to see peeps have had success replacing their cables. I'll give it a shot.

I came here to see if frayed cords can cause the iPhone to reboot?

As soon as I noticed it, while it probably had been frayed at least 24 hrs, it rebooted maybe 30 min after fiddling around with it.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, you just have to be persistent in order to get it swapped out...

The USB + headphones are covered under the 1 year warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.