Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
With all the antenna issues (atleast discussed) in the iPhone 4, there have been a lot of people getting annoyed that they would have to get bluetooth headsets. Um guys, you're overlooking something!!! The iPhone 4 comes with earbuds with a built-in mic. I use it all the time when making calls! It works great!

Now i'm not the antenna isn't an issue, but most people i know who have an iPhone carry around earbuds with them in their pocket. So just use them! It's healthy for your brain too because you aren't frying it with the cell phone microwave radiation.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Shoving an ice pick in each ear would be more comfortable than using those atrocities Apple stuffs in the box with each iPhone. :p

But yeah, anyone with a headset w/ microphone is good to go without any additional spend in this regard. :)

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't think I have ever taken a phone call on my 3gs without using the headphones, I always have them plugged into my phone and coming up my shirt and hanging over the front.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
noice cancelling

Shoving an ice pick in each ear would be more comfortable than using those atrocities Apple stuffs in the box with each iPhone. :p

But yeah, anyone with a headset w/ microphone is good to go without any additional spend in this regard. :)

the bummer is, that the noise canceling mic built into the DEVICE doesn't work with any external mics, including the plug in ones apple provides. I'm not really sure why it doesn't work when using the plug in headset though.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
the bummer is, that the noise canceling mic built into the DEVICE doesn't work with any external mics, including the plug in ones apple provides. I'm not really sure why it doesn't work when using the plug in headset though.

Because the iPhone may be in a coat or pants pocket during the call (a place that Apple can't predict). Then when you try to cancel noise based on the input the phone microphone is getting you'd end up with unpredictable results. I.e. the input from the noise canceling mic is not the same as that of the main mic (minus actual voice).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.