Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

euphrus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Other threads have confirmed this, but why does the fact that the skin on the back of the phone cause a blue tint on the photo. I checked my Phantomskinz and it is not touching or overlapping the flash on the back or the camera and i still got a messed up photo. Some photos that i take get the tint while others do not. It seems that the close shots arn't tinted as much. I just don't get why it does this, can anyone explain?

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 201

kyleb822

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Mine does that exact same thing. I also have a screen protector on both back and front. It really bugs me but it doesn't happen all the time. I think it might be the shield on the back but I have no idea why it would do that

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Is the shield covering the lense? If so..... Duh, if not?

Edit: ok re-read what you wrote.... Not sure why having a skin on the back would cause this issue unless it was improperly applied.

TheFatCityChamp

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Your skin must be covering the flash.

I have the SGP Ultra whatever and they shipped them without a hole cut out for the flash. All pictures taken with the flash since I've installed it look exactly like that.

All pictures taken before I installed the skin were fine.

Pictures taken without the flash are fine. Same exact set of facts exist for my wife's phone. So that's two phones with the flash covered by skin that take pictures with the same blue tint in the same place as yours. Two phones that took fine flash pictures with no tint before the skin was installed.

Check your skin again. A bit of it has to be covering the flash.

TheFatCityChamp

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Mine does that exact same thing. I also have a screen protector on both back and front. It really bugs me but it doesn't happen all the time. I think it might be the shield on the back but I have no idea why it would do that

It only happens when the flash goes off, right?

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I get the same problem without case. Mine is from my hand. If I am holding the phone in landscape is easy for your hand/fingers to get too close to the flash and reflect a lot of light near the sensor.

Does the problem still happen when you take pics in portrait?

euphrus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
I get the same problem without case. Mine is from my hand. If I am holding the phone in landscape is easy for your hand/fingers to get too close to the flash and reflect a lot of light near the sensor.

Does the problem still happen when you take pics in portrait?

Yes it does...but then again it is sporadic

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 176

kyleb822

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
When I take a picture with my flash it has that blue tint only sometimes. My skin on the back isn't covering up the led flash, but one edge is a tad close. What should I do to get rid of this? I don't wanna have to buy another skin and reapply it

hyeluri

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
iphone blue pictures

I solved the blue picture mystery. My pictures were blue along the edges or sometimes tinted blue. It was especially noticeable when the flash was used in darker lightening.
My phone was taking pictures just fine, until I dropped it and had to have the back plate replaced.

I took the back plate off, which is super easy, look on youtube. Just unscrew the bottom two screws and slide up, there are no wires attached to back plate.

I guess the Apple "genius" was not much of a "genius". He left the plastic cover on the camera and flash..from the INSIDE! Not on the back! Just peeled it off and put back plate back on and everything if perfect again.

Whole process took less than 3 minutes.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I've read quite a bit of complaints about the blue cast. In my case, the phone takes great pictures and video. Nothing blue at all.

marion2a

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Hi, I had the same problem as you and went to the Apple store, they simply change the back of my iPhone. Photos will flash on are perfect now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.