Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacWorld UK reports that neither Jaguar nor new Macs will include an OS 9.2 CD:

According to staff at the UK Apple Store Apple will not include a Mac OS 9.2 install CD with Mac OS X 10.2. Of more significance, neither will an OS 9.2 disc be included with new Macs. Instead, Classic will reside on a Restore CD.

There are scattered reports of people receiving their new machines, but no confirmation on OS 9 Install CDs exclusion.

Persistent rumors have indicated that future machines will be unable to boot OS 9.

Martin Dove

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2002
Crazy. I love OS X and manage to avoid using classic most of the time, BUT, still have to boot into 9.2 for scanning (there are no drivers for my umax scanner, and no scanners are on the market that have bundled OCR software). I think that there are other critical software packages that are not yet on OS X (quark Xpress for example).

KramRM

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
California
OS 9 is there

Apple's Tech Specs page lists OS 10.2 and 9.2 as the included operating system. I didn't see if it says that both are preloaded, or if it is just included on a disc. It appeared to me like they are both loaded.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

I don't care if OS 9 is included on my system. I never really cared for Macs, but OSX sold me and my TiBook has just about become a desktop replacement.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: OS 9 is there

Originally posted by KramRM
Apple's Tech Specs page lists OS 10.2 and 9.2 as the included operating system. I didn't see if it says that both are preloaded, or if it is just included on a disc. It appeared to me like they are both loaded.

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

I don't care if OS 9 is included on my system. I never really cared for Macs, but OSX sold me and my TiBook has just about become a desktop replacement.

Still could be just the Classic environment, however... an no boot/install CD of OS 9.2 alone. The MacWorld UK articles does indicate that OS 9.2 is included in the Classic Environment.

arn

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
solution

If there is no OS 9 boot CD, just make one. Toast will let you do this.

Or buy Norton Utilities (when it is updated to boot on a new G4). Boot that into OS 9.

Or go to the Apple Store and buy a boxed copy of OS 9.

Or use your old disk.

Besides, if you are a new Mac user, you don't need OS 9, because all the stuff you buy will be new and work in OS X anyway. If you really want to run a 3 year old OS, you can find a way to do it.

P.S. Is there a codename for the new G4's? Yikes!, Sawtooth, QuickSilver, and XXXXXX?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple Discussion http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@115.ciryaapDeku.15@.3bb92d6a/0

Yes, you can startup to Mac OS 9.2.2 with the new Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors). While there is no Mac OS 9 startup CD-ROM disc, Mac OS 9 can be restored from the restore CD-ROM discs.

Todd
Apple Discussions

But hopefully it shouldn't take a new owner long to report back whether they can boot to OS 9 and confirm a lowly Apple Discussion moderator's answer.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
its gettin hot in here

Originally posted by edvniow
I don't know, but the new Powermacs are called Mirrored Drive Doors. :p

Maybe they're called Damn! It's Hot in Here!:D

man it would be cool as hell if for the commercial they had the announcer guy...say "Damn! It's Hot in Here!" then all of a sudden you start hearing "Its getting hot in here! So take off all your clothes!" and the case opens to show the dual 1.25 ghz 2GB DDR SDRAM 120GB hardrive:D...and then the 'crowd' goes silent..and is in awe/silent revere.....classic...maybe its just too late and my mind is just a little too fast for myself...

peace out

adel

chetwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I just bought a Dual 1Ghz DDR Power Mac and it did NOT include an OS 9 install CD. If you do a reinstall, you have to install OS X. Then, you can reinstall OS 9 from the software restore CDs. You can still boot OS 9 though if you install it this way. The only limitation is that you can't install OS 9 straight up, you have to install OS X.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
Also, my dealer (Unitek) when I bought my DDR GHz Tuesday, told me the machine would boot up in 9.2. I was very firm with him that if it didn't boot up in 9 the machine would be back on his desk instantly. So I believe it's true.

I use Pro Tools/Logic Audio and we're still stuck in 9 as coding Pro Tools for X is a massive re-write but now finally rumored to appear soon...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what about the fact that these versions of os 9, since the newest powerbooks i believe, are not full versions...

at least that is what i heard.

i didn't care, until i ran into a problem

i had done a clean install on my computer and used my bro's powerbook software cd... ie, 9.2.2 to install.

then a week or so later i went to install fcp in 9 (to run some os 9 only plugs) and it couldn't find a system file...

well, i reinstalled from my powermac os 9 cds and installed fcp without a problem..

anyone else know what i'mm talking about?

as of now, there are still plenty of reasons to boot into 9 for me. it's rare, but it happens. and usually not with something that is really reliable in classic. that said, it's getting to the point where it's good if apple says to the software folks "hey, make it os x or suck it up" and then they finally get their act together. why did it take quark so long to be ported? i don't use it, but knowing that a huge % of the design industry does and most of them use macs.... well doesn't it make sense to get it over there to os x asap?

anyhoo.. just my thoughts.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Quark is taking ofrever because Avid is pissed about FCP, at least, that's the going theory on some of the Editing spots. Personally, I love quark, but I haven't done design with it in a while (six months or so) and I was using 9 a lot more at that time.

I loke Classic, but I don't need it except for my MAcromedia Design Studio. Frustratingly, it shipped with only freehand in X, and the upgrade path is six hundred bucks, so that'll be awhile. I'll probably wait untill I start with a graduate program next month, then I get teh whole Studio full version for half the cost of the upgrade.:D

Right now, though, I need Dreamweaver 4 and Flash 5, once I get MX, bye bye 9.

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: QUARK! QUARK!

Originally posted by primalman
QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! QUARK! :mad:
Quark’s OS X support is very slow

January 2002 releases Quark Xpress 5, still only OS 9

•July 18, 2001 - Quark Inc. today announced that QuarkXPress, the industry-leading page layout software, will be built natively for Mac OS X. Quark executives previewed the carbonized version of QuarkXPress, dubbed version 5.x, as part of Apple's keynote address today at Macworld Expo in the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York.

December 1999 releases Quark Xpress 4.1, still only OS 9

•September 1, 1998 - In a continued effort to develop software for all the most popular operating systems, Quark Inc. today announced that it will include support for Apple's upcoming operating system, Mac OS X (ten), in its next release of QuarkXPress.

•November 10, 1997 - Quark Inc. last week began releasing the much anticipated QuarkXPress 4.0 for Macintosh OS and Windows-based systems to distribution channels worldwide.

With this speed of upgrades, we can expect an OS X native version sometime in 2004.

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
as for new computers not booting OS 9...

Try to boot anything lower than 9.2 on a 2002 Quicksilver. I bet you can't.

OS 9 is dead. Software and hardware developers need to grasp this concept. By not allowing newer systems to boot OS 9, they may get the hint.

And if you absolutely need to run OS 9 keep your old system. It's as simple as that.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by tjwett
that sucks. there are alot of apps that do ont support Classic at all.

I have a few that don't support 9.x or 8.x or...well, you get the picture.

Rome wasn't built waiting for its chickens to hatch.

Figure that one out. :D

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Some of us depend on 9

I think Mac techies, those who are likely to be found posting here, are not in touch with the majority of Mac users. Same with music techies, who rarely actually make music with their technology. Most people in the music industry don't give a rat's ass about new technology as much as they care about being able to make music with their technology (new or old). Whatever you think of Pro Tools, it is still the standard in the industry and it still relies on OS 9. Many of us who use Pro Tools are in need of a new Powermac.

Yes, Digidesign needs to get it together and make an X-compatible Pro Tools version. Meanwhile, how many musicians can afford the time to learn new software and the money to buy new sound hardware in addition to a new Powermac? We live to make music, not to get involved in the politics of an OS switch. We have long been an industry that has avidly supported the Mac platform. Guess what - the industry is getting more and more disenchanted with Apple products.

Apple's tendency is to make their new hardware incompatible with older versions of system software. That's why you can boot a Quicksilver G4 and install the OS from an older OS 9 CD. How will we (those who still need OS 9) custom install OS 9? Is selectively dragging from a software restore CD reasonable for most users?

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Re: its gettin hot in here

Originally posted by sinbushar

man it would be cool as hell if for the commercial they had the announcer guy...say "Damn! It's Hot in Here!" then all of a sudden you start hearing "Its getting hot in here! So take off all your clothes!" and the case opens to show the dual 1.25 ghz 2GB DDR SDRAM 120GB hardrive:D...and then the 'crowd' goes silent..and is in awe/silent revere.....classic...maybe its just too late and my mind is just a little too fast for myself...

peace out

adel

yup...it's official....that song has now reached the "irritating" level

Back to the REAL subject....I would still prefer that I can boot into 9. I'm still waiting for drivers from canon so I can use my <1yr old scanner on it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.