Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

da-vid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Flash seems to perform considerably better in Firefox than in other browsers. Originally, I thought this had to do with Safari being 64-bit, but after switching to Chrome, I found it to be equally slow, though my Activity Monitor does not list it as a 64-bit process. I also found, however, that switching to 32-bit mode on Safari fixed the problem.

So, now, I am theorizing that making Flash a separate process from the browser is the cause. Safari does this in 64-bit mode but not in 32-bit mode, Chrome does this by default, and Firefox does not.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? Is there a way to disable making Flash a separate process on Chrome? (I know the reason it's a separate process in the first place is to prevent the entire browser from crashing, but I can live with that for normal Flash performance, and wouldn't Chrome's ability to crash individual tabs rather than the whole browser prevent that from happening anyway?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.