Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMichaela

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Arizona
So I've been thinking about jailbreaking lately an had a couple of questions.

First off, what will apple do if I break it etc? I don't want to not be under warranty. Will they give me a comeplety new device (that would be nice)?

Can I use my apple apps with the third party apps? How much do the apps cost? I don't want to jailbreak then find out I can't buy any of them or
use my old apps.

And also tell me about what apps you can get that you can't with apple.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....

First off, what will apple do if I break it etc? I don't want to not be under warranty. Will they give me a comeplety new device (that would be nice)?

Can I use my apple apps with the third party apps? How much do the apps cost? I don't want to jailbreak then find out I can't buy any of them or
use my old apps.

you will be able to use all your apple apps, most of the third party apps are free, as for warranty i really don't know

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
apple won't do anything for you if you break your ipod by jailbreaking it.
or if it breaks while jailbroken and they find out.

jailbreaking isn't that big of a risk if you're smart about it,
and it's worth it for the most part.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr

use my old apps.

Jailbreaking is TOTALLY worth it.

As far as apps go with jailbreaking enabled, there are several amazing features.
-Multitasking alternatives to the new iOS4 one (i.e. Backgrounder, Kirikae, Multifl0w, ProSwitcher), which, when used properly, don't hog the battery life.

-SBSettings: Basically a method of shortcuts and doodads for enabling/disabling Wi-Fi, SSH, Processes, etc. One of the most commonly downloaded JB apps.

-NES Emulator(s)

-Customizable wallpapers, themes, and icons that go WAY beyond the iOS 4's capabililtes.

-Installous: An app that will download any App Store app for free. (redundant sentence is redundant) :D

This is just to name a few.... Jailbreaking is a great part of owning a iPod Touch/iPhone, and can be easily restored to original settings if you're not satisfied.

aceofhearts81

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Knoxville TN
Ipod is completely fine and now pretty easy as for the warranty you can always do a restore on itunes if it breaks and it should be good to send in to apple if you are under warranty. they dont know if you jailbreak or not. just be smart about it.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Jailbreaking is completely worth it for one thing: SBSettings. Once you use it you will wonder how you lived without it.

MattWylde

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Jailbreaking bricked my iPod Touch. Take my advice, DON'T jailbreak!

You're the first, if that is true. You can always restore to factory default by putting your phone into recovery mode. I've been following the jailbreak scene for a year and a half now, and I've yet to hear of a device actually being "bricked".

Jailbreaking is totally safe, and totally worthwhile. SBSettings, wi-fi sync, backgrounder, Music controls, and 5 icon dock are my favorites. bjett is right on the money when he says you'll wonder how you lived without SBSettings.

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2005
Jailbreaking is TOTALLY worth it.

As far as apps go with jailbreaking enabled, there are several amazing features.
-Multitasking alternatives to the new iOS4 one (i.e. Backgrounder, Kirikae, Multifl0w, ProSwitcher), which, when used properly, don't hog the battery life.

-SBSettings: Basically a method of shortcuts and doodads for enabling/disabling Wi-Fi, SSH, Processes, etc. One of the most commonly downloaded JB apps.

-NES Emulator(s)

-Customizable wallpapers, themes, and icons that go WAY beyond the iOS 4's capabililtes.

-Installous: An app that will download any App Store app for free. (redundant sentence is redundant) :D

This is just to name a few.... Jailbreaking is a great part of owning a iPod Touch/iPhone, and can be easily restored to original settings if you're not satisfied.

be careful here, think this might be against site rules

Meconio

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Well I did it and I just love it, sbsetting ftw specially since today update from Cydia I'm able to turn on and off the wifi just by holding down the home button.
Just not so happy with the multitasking made my iPod very slow and I have to keep closing apps cause I guess I run out of ram, battery is draining way faster, I'll deactivate the multitasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.