Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Since apple is coming out in a few weeks with a fix for the reception issues.....does that mean a few more weeks until JB now? Do the devs have to wait until this firmware is released so they could JB? Would they release a JB knowing there is another update due in a few weeks?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
There's no point in waiting, the fix is only goin to change the way the signal bars are displayed, nothing major.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
There's no point in waiting, the fix is only goin to change the way the signal bars are displayed, nothing major.

Well, it is worth waiting if it means that Apple won't be able to patch the jailbreak hole.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
only if the reception fix also patches some know to the scene and apple but unknown to us exploit.

cobaltrich27

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
D/FW TX
Well, it is worth waiting if it means that Apple won't be able to patch the jailbreak hole.

Yes I agree was hoping a FW Update would come fast so we can hold off on jailbreak untill after the newer firmware is released.

Im sure there will also be other minor bug fixes not mentioned that will be included with this update.

Like my wife's iPhone 4 vibrating for about 20minutes non stop right after we first got it. I called hers with mine and that stopped it from vibrating LOL hasnt done it since. I think this is good news IMO :D

The Highlander

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
Did this happen with 3.0?

I mean.. we were able to jail break.. 3.0-3.1.2 w/o a single issue...

no one bothered with 3.1.3 as there was nothing that good anyways...

an update to 4.0 snowbreeze was possible...

So why wait? it has been this same way anyways... They patched things with a new bootrom later on in the game... Not at the begining. It still takes them a whole while deal with their software stages. It's not like they can go back after the software is almost Gold Master and repatch everything. They would have to wait a huge cylce internally...

I'd say they should release it anyways and not because I want it, but because I believe it's the same thing anyways.

I am sure they will release something this week and I am SURE they will not hold the release of 4.0.1 or 4.1 just because the jailbreak is out.

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008

That might be all that apple is telling you their doing, doesnt mean they will put something else in the update that might fix the real problem.

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
That might be all that apple is telling you their doing, doesnt mean they will put something else in the update that might fix the real problem.

Im not saying you're wrong here but why would they do that? Surely it would be better to say that they're putting a fix for the reception problem if that's what they're doing than to say they're just putting in a cosmetic change after what they said in their official statement.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I think they are waiting for apple to release the update first. No need to put out a jailbreak and then all the hard work is patched by apple within a few days.

Just like they waited for 4.0 instead of releasing 3.1.3

alex1089

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
I think they'll actually begin packaging the jailbreak as soon as they have an unlock for iPhone 4. And then release both. But that's after the antenna update comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.