Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
jnguyen4
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
iPhone 4 external speaker problem

Ok I have been using my Navigon GPS occasionally and sometimes when the spoken directions are played though the speaker, it's so soft I can barely hear it. So I thought it was just the app. But now, I was just using my phone texting people and all of a sudden the sound became very faint. I can barely hear it. I then went to the iPod app to listen to some music through the speakers and I still can barely hear it. I reset the phone and now everything is working again. Is this normal? Is anyone else having this problem? Can a software update fix this?
__________________
Once you go MAC, you never go back.
jnguyen4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:59 PM   #2
draz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
If restoring the phone fixed the sound then yes a software update will fix it. Now hopefully Apple will release a software update for it.
draz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3
jnguyen4
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by draz View Post
If restoring the phone fixed the sound then yes a software update will fix it. Now hopefully Apple will release a software update for it.
I didn't restore the phone. Just resetted it.
__________________
Once you go MAC, you never go back.
jnguyen4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
draz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Sorry I read it wrong... but yes even resetting it does indicate that an update from Apple will fix this.
draz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:07 PM   #5
jnguyen4
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by draz View Post
Sorry I read it wrong... but yes even resetting it does indicate that an update from Apple will fix this.
Yeah I just want to know if anyone else is having this kind of problem.
__________________
Once you go MAC, you never go back.
jnguyen4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:32 PM   #6
dsapra
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
iphone4 Speaker problem

Even I had this problem, called apple care, they asked me to restore iphone. Even that didn't helped. I was then told, that I would need to replace my iphone, and as of now they do not have anything in stock. But then while plugging out the data cable, I realized the sound started coming. Seems the connector port in my iphone has some loose parts, which is causing speakers to not output sound. My iphone give sound through speakers when i plug out the cable in a certain way. In any case I will get my iphone replace when it is back in stock


Quote:
Originally Posted by jnguyen4 View Post
Ok I have been using my Navigon GPS occasionally and sometimes when the spoken directions are played though the speaker, it's so soft I can barely hear it. So I thought it was just the app. But now, I was just using my phone texting people and all of a sudden the sound became very faint. I can barely hear it. I then went to the iPod app to listen to some music through the speakers and I still can barely hear it. I reset the phone and now everything is working again. Is this normal? Is anyone else having this problem? Can a software update fix this?
dsapra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:50 PM   #7
madgick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
sorry for the bump, found this thread through google and its the closest i could find to my problem. The sound on my iPhone 4 just became strangely faint and I couldn't figure why. playing general sounds seemed much quieter than usual, so i played some music and that was very quiet too... turns out all the sound was coming from the speaker at the top for some reason, instead of the one at the base of the phone like usual. Anyway i just turned it off and on again and its fine now, but I was curious if anyone else has had the same problem or knows why it could even have happened? Very strange I thought
madgick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:48 PM   #8
eyecrispy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgick View Post
sorry for the bump, found this thread through google and its the closest i could find to my problem. The sound on my iPhone 4 just became strangely faint and I couldn't figure why. playing general sounds seemed much quieter than usual, so i played some music and that was very quiet too... turns out all the sound was coming from the speaker at the top for some reason, instead of the one at the base of the phone like usual. Anyway i just turned it off and on again and its fine now, but I was curious if anyone else has had the same problem or knows why it could even have happened? Very strange I thought
same thing happened to me. this is only my second day owning the iphone4. i went to teh gym this morning and was listening to music on the phone. and then unplugged the ear buds as usual. during the day, sounds were coming through fine. but then this evening, i noticed that a few txt messages came through and i didn't hear anything. and then when i played a game, the sound was faint. it was bc it was only coming through the earpiece. i had to reboot to fix. hope it doesn't keep happening.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD
iPhone 3GS, 32 GB, White
eyecrispy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Bettyv
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Sound coming out of phone speaker

I have had the same problem. Sound went very faint and I found the sound was coming out of the phone speaker (at the top of the phone). The Apple Store told me to restore the phone and that fixed it for a day but it happened again this evening. I found this thread so I shut the phone off and turned it back on. That fixed it. I have had the phone since day one and it just started happening yesterday. Does it gave to do with the recent software update?

Last edited by Bettyv; Aug 2, 2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Hadn't finished.
Bettyv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:33 PM   #10
tomjdavies
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I didn't have this problem until I restored my iPhone after jailbreaking today. Couldn't be arsed with the jailbreak. Been on os4 since day 1, same with 4.0.1.

This only came about after i restored it, i hope i don't have to restore again as i really can't be arsed putting all my music back on.

Oh, and I have a 3GS
tomjdavies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:23 AM   #11
rfomlover
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Send a message via AIM to rfomlover Send a message via Yahoo to rfomlover Send a message via Skype™ to rfomlover
I have the same problem on my iPhone 4. Restarting it fixes the problem when it happens.
rfomlover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 09:44 PM   #12
madgick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
This has been happening a lot more since my first post and its getting quite annoying. I've found it seems to happen after I've been on a long skype call and then remove the ear phones. Anyone else close to diagnosing whats causing this? Luckily like I said before a quick turn off and on again sorts it each time but its just frustrating
madgick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:18 AM   #13
bheidel18
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Iphone4 with external speaker problem

I am also having a problem with my apple compatable mini external speakers. When connected there is NO sound. I connected apple headphones and the sound was very faint. I then connected the mini's to my Ipad2, no sound. I then update my Ipad to the new software version and they worked perfect. So, I believe Apple needs to update the software running on iphone 4 to correct this problem. I am still having this problem with the Iphone! Can anyone help??
bheidel18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:56 AM   #14
Jacob1010
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I am having the same problem as everyone else, my iPhone 4 is playing really soft sounds all of a sudden, but I tried to restart it and reset it and nothing happened. I really need help because I am a teenager who uses this thing for music more than I text, so this is a big deal for me! Someone help!
Jacob1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone 5 Synchronization Problem With An External Speaker tanweerhasan iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jan 10, 2014 08:49 AM
iPhone 5 external speaker stopped working... adammusic iPhone 1 Nov 29, 2013 04:00 PM
iPhone 5 external speaker dead jnuuers iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Aug 22, 2013 06:39 AM
iPhone 4S Speaker problem Lampardispoo iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jan 22, 2013 04:28 PM
Only One External Speaker on iPhone 5 Working TaylorWright619 iPhone 10 Dec 4, 2012 11:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC