Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jul 3, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1
tomllama
macrumors regular

Clone bootcamp/move to new drive

I have XP on a 1 TB HDD (only about 80 GB is used) and I want to move it to a 120 GB partition on an SSD and boot from there.

This would be trivial in OSX - just use carbon copy. But, I can't get it done using Acronis True Image 2010 or any other utility I've tried while in XP. Everything wants to clone the entire 1 TB and not simply the 80ish GB of files.

What should I use to accomplish my goal (or what must I do different with Acronis)?
tomllama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2
balamw

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do you have the plus pack for Acronis? I think it is supposed to help it deal with hybrid GPT/MBR schemes like Boot Camp uses.

Also, have you tried Winclone?

B
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
tomllama
macrumors regular

Yes, I have the plus pack. It doesn't appear to be much help.

Yes, I tried WinClone, it only will clone to a disk of the same size - it wants to clone the whole TB and I can't see a way to simply clone the information.

I also tried HDClone.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:29 AM   #4
lucifiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomllama View Post
Yes, I have the plus pack. It doesn't appear to be much help.

Yes, I tried WinClone, it only will clone to a disk of the same size - it wants to clone the whole TB and I can't see a way to simply clone the information.

I also tried HDClone.
I think it just clones the size of the partition that you have put XP on doesn't it?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:36 AM   #5
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
what about use WinClone to copy to partition, then resize using Acronis? maybe :\
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:41 AM   #6
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomllama View Post
Did you read the instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winclone
If you want to decrease the size of your Windows partition, make sure that you set the preferences in Winclone to save the image as a uncompressed dmg. Create a clone of the Windows partition with Winclone, shrink the filesystem on the image by selecting Tools->Shrink Windows (NTFS) Filesystem..., remove the Windows partition with Boot Camp Assistant, create a smaller partition with Boot Camp Assistant, and then restore the image with Winclone.
B
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:22 PM   #7
tomllama
macrumors regular

Yes, I read the instructions and I never saw those. I'll try the steps provided and see how it works. Thanks for the response.

I gave up trying to move an XP clone to the SSD and simply ran the Win7 upgrade and it worked without issues. I should have tried it first but after reading about not having Windows on a different drive on the system when installing via boot camp I spent too much time trying to move XP. Win 7 (x64) is up and running fine now.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac