Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
I have XP on a 1 TB HDD (only about 80 GB is used) and I want to move it to a 120 GB partition on an SSD and boot from there.

This would be trivial in OSX - just use carbon copy. But, I can't get it done using Acronis True Image 2010 or any other utility I've tried while in XP. Everything wants to clone the entire 1 TB and not simply the 80ish GB of files.

What should I use to accomplish my goal (or what must I do different with Acronis)?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do you have the plus pack for Acronis? I think it is supposed to help it deal with hybrid GPT/MBR schemes like Boot Camp uses.

Also, have you tried Winclone?

B

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Yes, I have the plus pack. It doesn't appear to be much help.

Yes, I tried WinClone, it only will clone to a disk of the same size - it wants to clone the whole TB and I can't see a way to simply clone the information.

I also tried HDClone.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Yes, I have the plus pack. It doesn't appear to be much help.

Yes, I tried WinClone, it only will clone to a disk of the same size - it wants to clone the whole TB and I can't see a way to simply clone the information.

I also tried HDClone.

I think it just clones the size of the partition that you have put XP on doesn't it?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Did you read the instructions?

Winclone said:
If you want to decrease the size of your Windows partition, make sure that you set the preferences in Winclone to save the image as a uncompressed dmg. Create a clone of the Windows partition with Winclone, shrink the filesystem on the image by selecting Tools->Shrink Windows (NTFS) Filesystem..., remove the Windows partition with Boot Camp Assistant, create a smaller partition with Boot Camp Assistant, and then restore the image with Winclone.

B

tomllama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Yes, I read the instructions and I never saw those. I'll try the steps provided and see how it works. Thanks for the response.

I gave up trying to move an XP clone to the SSD and simply ran the Win7 upgrade and it worked without issues. I should have tried it first but after reading about not having Windows on a different drive on the system when installing via boot camp I spent too much time trying to move XP. Win 7 (x64) is up and running fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.