Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Apple-NoEscape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
iTunes hacked- Your account may be compromised.

Tried searching the site but for some reason my iPhone isn't letting me type in the search bar.
Anyway I just got sent this link
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/...-store-hacked/
apparently the app store has been hacked? Just putting this put there so people know they may need to change their password etc.
It seems to only be effecting the US accounts.

I have no idea how reliable 'the next web' is. Maybe someone can confirm them for me.
__________________
iPhone 3Gs 32gb (black)

Last edited by Apple-NoEscape; Jul 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Apple-NoEscape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2
lawrence32
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple-NoEscape View Post
Tried searching the site but for some reason my iPhone isn't letting me type in the search bar.
Anyway I just got sent this link
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/...-store-hacked/
apparently the app store has been hacked? Just putting this put there so people know they may need to change their password etc.
It seems to only be effecting the US accounts.

I have no idea how reliable 'the next web' is. Maybe someone can confirm them for me.
my account was hacked a few months ago, they spent 200 dollars on some ****, I'm not sure what they bought. Wish I could check but the account was shut down by apple after the purchases.
lawrence32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:08 AM   #3
ozzyman500
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence32 View Post
my account was hacked a few months ago, they spent 200 dollars on some ****, I'm not sure what they bought. Wish I could check but the account was shut down by apple after the purchases.
Not a good idea to keep your credit card on file.
ozzyman500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
lawrence32
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyman500 View Post
Not a good idea to keep your credit card on file.
Thanks
lawrence32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
ArmyMirage
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
This happened to me a few months ago as well but it has been going on for much longer then most people realize. My particular case was $600 worth of iPad and iPhone apps. I do not even own an iPad so that was kinda strange. It took about two weeks but apple refunded everything and reenabled my account after wiping out any permissions tied to the account. It's an issue from their side obviously but I still changed all my info just to be safe.
ArmyMirage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:48 PM   #6
rwd hero
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you so much for posting this. I just changed my password and deleted my debit card info off of iTunes.
__________________
-Mid 2009 13" Aluminium unibody MBP, 2.53GHz C2D, 9400m, 8GB DDR3, 500GB 5400 Fujitsu Hard Drive
- 16GB iPhone 4
rwd hero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7
TurdFerguson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: O'side!
Send a message via AIM to TurdFerguson
I get my app store reciepts e-mailed to me so I'm not worried about it.
__________________

Until the color of man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
TurdFerguson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Jazzandmetal?
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Mine was hacked 3 days ago. Disputing charges with amex now.
Jazzandmetal? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Apple-NoEscape
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd hero View Post
Thank you so much for posting this. I just changed my password and deleted my debit card info off of iTunes.
No problem

You'd think Apple would lock down any security holes in something as widely used as iTunes, especially considering how they boast the most hack proof/virus free operation system. I know they are two completely different things but one being 'bad' reflects on the other.

This seems to be on the front page now.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960064

apparently it has been ongoing for sometime (although it may possible be getting worse) so I'm guesing the only thing you can do is have a strong password.
__________________
iPhone 3Gs 32gb (black)
Apple-NoEscape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 02:44 PM   #10
ArmyMirage
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I get my app store reciepts e-mailed to me so I'm not worried about it.
This is how I caught my account compromization so quickly. Receiving 9 emails from apple at 3 in the morning kind of tipped me off. Luckily my bank caught the charges too and voided the card right away. It all worked out well in the end but anything involving identity theft or account compromises are big headaches.
ArmyMirage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:53 PM   #11
Jazzandmetal?
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMirage View Post
This is how I caught my account compromization so quickly. Receiving 9 emails from apple at 3 in the morning kind of tipped me off. Luckily my bank caught the charges too and voided the card right away. It all worked out well in the end but anything involving identity theft or account compromises are big headaches.
I only got one email, but had 2 transactions on my online statement and one pending in iTunes because I had all charges from apple haulted.
Jazzandmetal? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:15 AM   #12
hiitsmikee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
This happend to me also, but i caught it early and was only charged 20 bucks on ipad apps. I dont even own an ipad lol. My friend on the other hand got charged 300 lol.
hiitsmikee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:38 PM   #13
IT365247
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Apple Has A Security Problem

My account got hacked 6/25. My password was 11 characters, alphanumeric, no English words and only used for iTunes. Just 4 months old, never written and only entered when purchasing from the iPhone, itself. APPLE HAS A SECURITY PROBLEM. Bad guys charged $1.05, $34.99 and $69.98 before I noticed, all in one day. No email confirmation from iTunes. They used a hotmail address added to my account. Apple support? Non existent. Form letter responses only, stating the obvious... change your password and notify the bank.
IT365247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Question:

The rest of you who were hacked, (thanks, IT365247) are your passwords just real words? (Like, "Daisy" and not "gU2d&3AS")

Just a yes/no would be helpful, thanks.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 05:43 AM   #15
ArmyMirage
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Question:

The rest of you who were hacked, (thanks, IT365247) are your passwords just real words? (Like, "Daisy" and not "gU2d&3AS")

Just a yes/no would be helpful, thanks.
At the time my password was 10 characters long and a mix of numbers and letters. Not something anyone would guess either, no words or obvious number combos (ie. social, birthday, phone, address, zip, etc).
ArmyMirage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 05:48 AM   #16
gixxerfool
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
This is why I only use iTunes gift cards. It's a PITA refilling the account but well worth the peace of mind.
__________________
Mac Mini 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo120G iPod Classic16G iPhone 3GS Jailbroken 4.3.3 (now an "iPod touch")64G iPhone 5 Verizon in whiteApple TV (3rd Gen)
gixxerfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adobe Hacked, 2.9 Million Customer Accounts Compromised MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 80 Jan 22, 2014 12:21 PM
Compromised email account Samtb iPhone 0 Mar 1, 2013 08:48 AM
My iTunes account was hacked and now I suppose I lost it for good Michael.ross217 Mac Basics and Help 4 Nov 27, 2012 08:31 AM
My iTunes store account hacked Kuwait iCloud and Apple Services 5 Sep 6, 2012 10:03 AM
Phone been hacked or compromised? FortWorthMac iPhone 3 Aug 7, 2012 09:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC