Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:32 PM   #1
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Moving Files between users...

i did a quick search but didnt find it.....

but how do you move files between users on one computer? they both have admin access, but obviously they each have their own home folder, how do i transfer files between the two??
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:41 PM   #2
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
i did a quick search but didnt find it.....

but how do you move files between users on one computer? they both have admin access, but obviously they each have their own home folder, how do i transfer files between the two??
I know i have a crappy answer, but cant you just transfer by drag-n-drop? I thought you could, what are you planning on transferring?
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:41 PM   #3
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....you could just use each user's "drop box" (public folder)....oh yeah!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:54 PM   #4
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says....you could just use each user's "drop box" (public folder)....oh yeah!
whenever i try to access another user's drop box it tells me that i dont have suffiecent access privleges
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:01 AM   #5
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
whenever i try to access another user's drop box it tells me that i dont have suffiecent access privleges
Duff-Man says...are you sure that is the message you are getting? It should tell you that you "can't see the results of this action" or something like that but it does copy the file....oh yeah!
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:15 AM   #6
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Duff-Man says...are you sure that is the message you are getting? It should tell you that you "can't see the results of this action" or something like that but it does copy the file....oh yeah!
yep thats what im getting, im supposed to access it from harddrive>users>name>public>dropbox right?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Quote:
yep thats what im getting, im supposed to access it from harddrive>users>name>public>dropbox right?
Duff-Man says...yes, that is right, the drop box folder. I tried it on my desktop (I have another account on it I use for testing) and it worked just fine - the "can't see results..." message will appear, but when I log in as the other user the file is defintely there. If this does not work for you, perhaps try running a repair permissions in Disk Utility....oh yeah!
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:33 PM   #8
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Duff-Man says...yes, that is right, the drop box folder. I tried it on my desktop (I have another account on it I use for testing) and it worked just fine - the "can't see results..." message will appear, but when I log in as the other user the file is defintely there. If this does not work for you, perhaps try running a repair permissions in Disk Utility....oh yeah!
alright, well at least i know im doing it right, ill see what i can do with it, thanks
Old Nov 3, 2004, 01:13 PM   #9
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Note that you can't open another user's dropbox - you just open their Public folder, and drag the file onto their dropbox folder.

The other option is to put the file in your own Public folder, and tell the other user he/she can retrieve it from there.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 05:43 PM   #10
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

well after repairing permissions again it works, so maybe who knows, but thanks for the help guys! im just glad its working now

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion