Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
First off, happy 4th of July folks. I have seen so many I lost count and to me, it's just another day but was grand when I was young and into safe and sane fireworks (if there is such a thing anymore).

I remember the 200th birthday for the USA and it was a pretty big event for this day which I don't think I will see for a long time. I remember all the special stamps and coins made for just that year. A great memory was seeing all the ships in New York harbor.

Let's keep this thread non-political and just memories of this day, good, bad, or indifferent. If you want to push America or diss it, then there's the PRSI section for that. :)

Attachments

• 180px-1976_Bicentennial_Quarter_Rev.png
    180px-1976_Bicentennial_Quarter_Rev.png
    49 KB · Views: 164

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going to see the LA Galaxy vs Seattle Sounders FC...... At the home depot center in Los Angeles, CA. After the game there will be a firework show:D

Great day for fireworks!:D:)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I remember the 200th birthday for the USA and it was a pretty big event for this day which I don't think I will see for a long time. I remember all the special stamps and coins made for just that year. A great memory was seeing all the ships in New York harbor.

I was a schoolchild during the Bicentennial. I remember the rebirth of interest in American history though. Gerald Ford. The upcoming Olympics in Montreal. Good times.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
A great memory was seeing all the ships in New York harbor.

I was a kid during Operation Sail in New York Harbor. We took the boat out and saw all the ships. We approached the Aircraft Carrier (JFK?) and one of the sailors ran down the stairs and grabbed a beer from us. The sailors were standing around the edge of the deck were all sceaming and clapping. Try doing that today, I think you would be just a hole in the water... We watched the ship pass under the Verazzano bridge, it didn't have much head room, as the antennas just made it under. It's just hard to imagine how big one of these things are until your next to one.

Seeing the Tall ships up close was pretty cool as well. The Tall ship from the Coast Guard (The Eagle?) and some smaller sail ships, I believe one was from Portugal, and a handful of other countries that came to participate.

I don't think I'll ever forget that.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Well the last time I was in the US for the 4th of July festivities was 2006 in the Florida Keys. Living in the UK now it was just another day but I still get a twinge of nostalgia.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Fireworks are totally legal here in our neighborhood, so we went out front in the cul-de-sac and lit 'em up, along with most of the neighborhood. Every year on the 4th it sounds like a warzone outside - and it's awesome. :)

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Fireworks are totally legal here in our neighborhood, so we went out front in the cul-de-sac and lit 'em up, along with most of the neighborhood. Every year on the 4th it sounds like a warzone outside - and it's awesome. :)

Same. We still have a smokey haze over our neighborhood. My neighbors spent $5,000 dollars on them yesterday :eek:... got his drunk a** to show me the receipt lol :D

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Never had fireworks as a kid--this was the unfortunate circumstances of being a kid whose pop was in special forces and came back from Vietnam and was kinda messed up in the head. He did show me how to take out a tuff shed with two M80's one 4th of July though and taught me a little Judo. LOL

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I remember when I was a kid you could *legally* buy real fireworks like Black Cats, M80's, Roman Candles, Buzz Bombs &c. Now all you can get are the wimpy ones.

When I lived in Sacramento my roommates and I would have a party every Independence Day and gather $400 to $600 from guests then go to the stands right before closing. We would normally walk out with a $1000+ worth as they were trying to clear the shelves. Then have a huge fireworks show for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.