iPhone 4 Screen Goes (And Stays) Blank - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

iPhone 4 Screen Goes (And Stays) Blank

If it weren't for the fact that the exact, same thing started to happen a few days ago, when I still had my 3GS, I would be putting the blame on my new iPhone 4, which I just purchased yesterday.

I upgraded to iOS 4 on my 3GS and all worked great for the first 10 days, or so. All of a sudden, I noticed that upon ending a phone call my screen would just be blank. The sensors do detect the phone is now away from me and the display illuminates but it's all black/blank. I'm able to end the call by touching the "End" button (it doesn't display, I just know where it's situated on the screen). I'm also able to lock the phone and unlock it by swiping even though there's nothing on the display other than an all-black screen that's lit. -- This happens on 50% of my calls.

Additionally, on a few occasions my display has started to rapidly flicker (sort of like a strobe light) while I try to unlock my phone. It'll flick real fast for about 10 seconds and then it goes to blank/black (lit display, though).

iOS 4 worked perfectly for about the first 10 days on my 3GS. Now i have my iPhone 4 and it's doing the SAME thing. Could it be that one of the recently updated apps in my library have some sort of bug that's causing this? Perhaps something in my media (music, videos, photos?) is the root of the problem? If so, any way I can try to discern what app or song is doing this? Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Caliber26; Jul 4, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:46 PM   #2
blankscreen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post
If it weren't for the fact that the exact, same thing started to happen a few days ago, when I still had my 3GS, I would be putting the blame on my new iPhone 4, which I just purchased yesterday.

I upgraded to iOS 4 on my 3GS and all worked great for the first 10 days, or so. All of a sudden, I noticed that upon ending a phone call my screen would just be blank. The sensors do detect the phone is now away from me and the display illuminates but it's all black/blank. I'm able to end the call by touching the "End" button (it doesn't display, I just know where it's situated on the screen). I'm also able to lock the phone and unlock it by swiping even though there's nothing on the display other than an all-black screen that's lit. -- This happens on 50% of my calls.

Additionally, on a few occasions my display has started to rapidly flicker (sort of like a strobe light) while I try to unlock my phone. It'll flick real fast for about 10 seconds and then it goes to blank/black (lit display, though).

iOS 4 worked perfectly for about the first 10 days on my 3GS. Now i have my iPhone 4 and it's doing the SAME thing. Could it be that one of the recently updated apps in my library have some sort of bug that's causing this? Perhaps something in my media (music, videos, photos?) is the root of the problem? If so, any way I can try to discern what app or song is doing this? Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I am having the EXACT same problem with my iPhone 4. I took it to Apple and they replaced it with a brand new one...and the same thing is still happening. I started to think it may be Facebook-related, since I seemed to be noticing it when using the FB app, so I deleted the app. Problem went away for a few days so I re-installed FB, then the problem came back. Deleted the app again, but now even without it I'm still getting the flicker and black screen. Have you figured out any solution??
blankscreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankscreen View Post
I am having the EXACT same problem with my iPhone 4. I took it to Apple and they replaced it with a brand new one...and the same thing is still happening. I started to think it may be Facebook-related, since I seemed to be noticing it when using the FB app, so I deleted the app. Problem went away for a few days so I re-installed FB, then the problem came back. Deleted the app again, but now even without it I'm still getting the flicker and black screen. Have you figured out any solution??
Yes, I have! I read in another thread where someone having another type of problem on their 3GS somehow had carried over to their iPhone 4. They mentioned they had restored the phone back to factory settings but when you sync once again, you will have to elect ***NOT*** to restore your phone from the last back up. In other words, any data that might be saved in your apps, emails, text messages, contacts... all of that stuff will be lost/gone. Obviously, you can re-sync your music/apps/photos into your phone and then go back into your apps and customize stuff as you had it before. I use MobileMe, so that syncs my contacts nicely. Not sure how you go about storing/backing up contacts, but just know you'll have to restore those on your own.

I realize it's a bit of a hassle to go back and adjust all your phone's settings and what not, but it can't be as annoying as having the screen black out all the time! What's happening is that whatever bug or issue was on your last phone, you (most likely) restored into the new device via a back-up, am I correct? I think this should solve your problem, as it did for me. Definitely let me know if it works for you, I'm interested to know. Good luck!

Edit: Apparently this has also been discussed in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=#post10508823

Last edited by Caliber26; Jul 13, 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Edit: apparently this
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:31 PM   #4
DMcN
macrumors newbie

Black screen for no reason?

By reading one of the other threads on this issue (from as early as 2007), I found the answer. Hold down the Home and Power buttons for 45 seconds, wait a couple of minutes after the Apple Icon appears, and it's all sweet.
DMcN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:32 PM   #5
William Fleming
macrumors newbie

To DmcN,
I love you so much now! My iPhone 4 went blank so I tried your alternative and it worked! Thank you buddy
William Fleming is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #6
langeloro
macrumors newbie

Talking Adjusting black screen on an iphone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcN View Post
By reading one of the other threads on this issue (from as early as 2007), I found the answer. Hold down the Home and Power buttons for 45 seconds, wait a couple of minutes after the Apple Icon appears, and it's all sweet.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this AWESOME tip! I was just getting ready to make the 2.5 hr trek to the Apple Store in Seattle as my iPhone just went black. When I pressed the volume up button, it did display it, so, I knew it wasn't dead. I "googled" and found your answer. I just can't thank you enough! --Lynne.
langeloro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:55 AM   #7
jwarp
macrumors newbie

I've had the same issue with an iphone 4. On boot it gets to lock screen and goes blank except for status bar on top. If I hold down power button for 5 seconds the lock screen comes back. Also, I noticed if I turn off passcode lock the problem goes away, but that's not a great fix.

I've tried a restore and updates but issue comes back. I'm thinking about trying Caliber26's idea to do a restore but set up as new phone instead of transferring data from old phone.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that my previous phone was jailbroken and current phone isn't? Maybe when I transfer data from old phone its copying something over that it shouldn't?
jwarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Tigersrock24
macrumors newbie

Iphone blinked and screen went out

I tried all of these things and they do not work. I am being told by Verizon that Apple will keep the phone for 6-8 weeks and will charge $450 to fix a screen. Ridiculous. I am so frustrated by this it's not funny and I don't have that much money laying around to fix it or buy another phone where they are telling me I have to pay $600 or $900 a phone. Effing ridiculous
Tigersrock24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting