Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosesaro

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
New York
I always wanted to write some apps for the iphone/ipad but i never knew what book or books should i start reading in order to learn about programming. I never programmed before and im not saying it easy but i just wanted to learn a new skill. Can anyone please help me start programming or tell me what books to get that will teach me about Objective C, and xCode. Thanks

j4me5

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
you should take a class, its hard to really understand even while reading books. Unless you really "learn" how to program you wont be able too successfully. You'll be going to forums for every question. The C language is considered among many to be of the relatively harder to learn first. You should consider learning Java.. first as the documentation is very well written aka the API. In java when a line of code is not working, the error will describe the exact line. On the other hand in C you will just result in a seg fault, which can mean various different things.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
you should take a class, its hard to really understand even while reading books. Unless you really "learn" how to program you wont be able too successfully.

I'd respectfully disagree. If you buy the right books they will teach you what you need to know. Unless you go to a class at a well respected comp sci uni its pot luck as to the quality of the teaching.

armyguy26

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I always wanted to write some apps for the iphone/ipad but i never knew what book or books should i start reading in order to learn about programming. I never programmed before and im not saying it easy but i just wanted to learn a new skill. Can anyone please help me start programming or tell me what books to get that will teach me about Objective C, and xCode. Thanks

Here are some books:

Programming in Objective-C 2.0
by Stephen G. Kochan

IPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide

Also you might want to check out the Stanford cs193p class on iTunes U.
Its very helpful and is very in depth and there are assignments for you to download on this link:http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p/cgi-bin/drupal/downloads-2010-winter

And here is the Stanford iTunes U, just look for cs193p:http://itunes.stanford.edu/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.