Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Mikums1112
macrumors newbie

My Macbook is slow how can I fix it?

I have Mac o.x 10.6.4 , I just bought this macbook in March and it is acting slow. When I go to website like facebook and login it is very slow and takes forever. It does this often when I go to websites, Is there a disk clean up or something I can do to speed it up again?

THanks in advanced
Mikums1112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
0dev
macrumors 68040

First thing to try is repairing the permissions.

What's the spec on it, BTW?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus

Is it only concerning web browsing? What browser do you use? Have you tried others? How much free space do you have on your hard drive?
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:51 AM   #4
uptherighttree
macrumors member

my MBP has recently slowed right down. Using Safari is a total ball-ache and firefox is not much better.

I did the repair permissions and had a cache clearout but still having issues.

Tempted to do a fresh install but bit scared of doing something that drastic.

I've done a time machine and a carbon copy cloner of my drive. Is there anything else I should do before wiping it?

(sorry to hijack this thread but I was going to post something like this very soon)
uptherighttree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:53 AM   #5
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptherighttree View Post
my MBP has recently slowed right down. Using Safari is a total ball-ache and firefox is not much better.

I did the repair permissions and had a cache clearout but still having issues.

Tempted to do a fresh install but bit scared of doing something that drastic.

I've done a time machine and a carbon copy cloner of my drive. Is there anything else I should do before wiping it?

(sorry to hijack this thread but I was going to post something like this very soon)
Have you checked the SMART status of your hard drive? It might be going if it's slowing down noticeably and those measures haven't fixed it.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Mikums1112
macrumors newbie

0 dev I have no idea how to repair the permissions , ergdegdeg I am using Safari and I am not using any other browser, I have 230.30 left on my hard drive
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:48 AM   #7
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikums1112 View Post
0 dev I have no idea how to repair the permissions , ergdegdeg I am using Safari and I am not using any other browser, I have 230.30 left on my hard drive
Open Disk Utility, so it looks like this:

Then click "Repair disk permissions"
Old Jul 5, 2010, 04:38 PM   #8
embalmess
macrumors member

Talking Thanks 0dev...

Thanks 0dev! (I was going to post a thread like this and saw someone else had) Especially for posting the graphic (and instructions), it seemed to work for me, I was ready to go in and pay some guy to clean it up :

Is this something I should be doing every few months or so? Or just when my computer gets slow? Thanks again!!

Last edited by embalmess; Jul 5, 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: update
embalmess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Mikums1112
macrumors newbie

I tried the permissions thing and it is still slow, either it is slow or the page will not load like on you tube some things will load on the page and some will not
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:46 PM   #10
l.a.rossmann
macrumors 6502a

Applejack and Onyx are free awesome programs that always do the job for me
l.a.rossmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:15 PM   #11
embalmess
macrumors member

Later...... Mik, my computer is slow again too The repair seemed to work for a bit... I'm so tired of seeing that wheel spinning (in Safari) forever and ever, argh!!! What should we do???
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:53 AM   #12
0dev
macrumors 68040

Clear cookies, clear your cache, empty the Trash, reboot.

Open up Activity Monitor, click the thing at the top of the list of processes that says "%CPU" and tell me if there's anything that comes to the top which is using too much. Screenshot it if you don't know. Then click "Real mem" and do the same.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:15 AM   #13
Angra-mainju
macrumors regular

After updating to 10.6.4 and to safari 5, I have the same problems. my MBP 13'' (mid-2009) model has slowed down
Angra-mainju is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:35 AM   #14
Mikums1112
macrumors newbie

I tried everything, I go to websites like, youtube and facebook and it is so slow! I cleared everythng, did the disk permission but it is still slow (on websites) I thought when this first happened to me (it was the 4th of July) my friend said probably cause eveyone is tring to get on.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:10 PM   #15
LXguy
macrumors newbie

What type of internet connection do you have?
LXguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:56 PM   #16
esadb
macrumors 65816

You know i have the same issues with safari (blackbook 06).. I find that firefox runs much better..

I think its something with safari itself, as my internet connection is 7mbps and i know my net speed is actually good because of downloads.

Try seeing your history in safari if its maybe set to keep it forever, i changed mine to like a day and it actually helped quite a bit.

Just there is something with safari that i notice i gotta hit enter when i type the sites address like twice or three times before it actually loads it right up. It seems to get stuck at times loading for some odd reason.. and i do repair my permissions constantly
esadb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Mikums1112
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by esadb View Post
You know i have the same issues with safari (blackbook 06).. I find that firefox runs much better..

I think its something with safari itself, as my internet connection is 7mbps and i know my net speed is actually good because of downloads.

Try seeing your history in safari if its maybe set to keep it forever, i changed mine to like a day and it actually helped quite a bit.

Just there is something with safari that i notice i gotta hit enter when i type the sites address like twice or three times before it actually loads it right up. It seems to get stuck at times loading for some odd reason.. and i do repair my permissions constantly
YES! that is exactly what happens I have to click enter in the address bar like 3 times until a website loads, which is very slow. I am using Road Runner
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:43 PM   #18
esadb
macrumors 65816

Yah i dont think this is due to our macs lol, especially since you have a newer one makes me feel a lot better as i started doubting myself and saying yah its the mac.

There is something wrong with safari.. perhaps a reinstall of it would help. the history stuff deff helps but im gonna try running some cleaners and see when i get a chance.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:59 PM   #19
johnnyham
macrumors regular

Empty your cache. If you're running 10.6.4, I'm assuming you have Safari 5.0, but if not upgrade. I find that it's a dozen times faster than 4.0. Also, check your Activity Monitor. You might have some runaway apps that are sucking up CPU power. If so (and you don't need them) quit or force quit them. SnowLeopard Cache Cleaner is also great for giving your Macbook a nice speed boost.

And of course, you can always upgrade your RAM. But nobody likes spending more money when you've already paid $1000 for your computer.

Also, in my opinion, Firefox is the worst browser I've ever used on OS X. It sucks my CPU down, hogs all the memory, and runs slow. I use Chrome as an alternate browser if need be.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Sc24evr
macrumors member

why dont you go to speedtest.net to make sure it isn't an isp issue.
Sc24evr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:26 PM   #21
esadb
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyham View Post
Empty your cache. If you're running 10.6.4, I'm assuming you have Safari 5.0, but if not upgrade. I find that it's a dozen times faster than 4.0. Also, check your Activity Monitor. You might have some runaway apps that are sucking up CPU power. If so (and you don't need them) quit or force quit them. SnowLeopard Cache Cleaner is also great for giving your Macbook a nice speed boost.

And of course, you can always upgrade your RAM. But nobody likes spending more money when you've already paid $1000 for your computer.

Also, in my opinion, Firefox is the worst browser I've ever used on OS X. It sucks my CPU down, hogs all the memory, and runs slow. I use Chrome as an alternate browser if need be.
Got the max amout of ram tho already installed, 2GB. Iam going to give that Cache cleaner a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc24evr View Post
why dont you go to speedtest.net to make sure it isn't an isp issue.
dont think its an isp issuee... According to speedtest.net

Download: 6.55 Mb/s
Upload: 0.52 Mb/s
Ping: 30ms

Pretty sure thats more than sufficient to browse pages, minus the upload speed of course :P
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:25 AM   #22
jsf8x
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikums1112 View Post
I tried the permissions thing and it is still slow, either it is slow or the page will not load like on you tube some things will load on the page and some will not
Maybe you have poor wifi connection? I know it seems like a simple answer but you never know.
jsf8x is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook