Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
UPDATE - 9/1/2010

The code "N900280" is STILL valid but N900 is out of stock from Nokia store. I still recommend signing up for the trade using the coupon as you have 30 days to purchase the phone from the trade-in sign up date. Check http://www.nokiausa.com daily for N900.

UPDATE - 8/30/2010

The Nokia N900 is now only $199 after a trade-in. Send your old phone back and get $280 + value of your old phone. If your old phone is not worth anything, they will plant a tree but you still get $280.

coupon - N900280 (use it on http://nokia.flipswap.com)

http://www.nokiausa.com/nokia-deals...-ilc-hm_toppromo-con-na-nokiacom-us-na-n8_001

Also, quite a few people had trouble ordering it online, so it's BEST to call them and order.

-------------------------
[ORIGINAL POST]

where do i begin ..

if you prefer not to be dictated by your service provider on what you can and can't do on YOUR phone, here's the perfect phone. Newegg and Amazon has it for $399. No contract!

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Un..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1278341034&sr=8-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...05178&cm_re=nokia_n900-_-75-205-178-_-Product

check out the amazon link for detailed feature list and pictures.

- FULL Flash support.
- runs a full linux operating systems, endless "apps" (open source, free)
- 32gb built in storage + memory card expansion
- dual cam
- 3G, gps, 5 MP camera, wifi, bluetooth,
- qwerty keyboard

Up to 32 GB internal storage
Total available application memory up to 1 GB (256 MB RAM, 768 MB virtual memory)
Supported protocols: Mail for Exchange, IMAP, POP3, SMTP
SMS and instant messages organized as conversations
Support for Nokia Messaging service
Instant messaging and Presence-enhanced contacts
Multiple number, e-mail and Instant Messaging details per contact, contacts with images
Integrated hands-free stereo speakers
Logging of dialed, received and missed calls
Speed dialing via contact widget
Ring tones: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma
Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) with WEP, WPA, WPA2 security; designed for continuous TCP/IP connectivity
Capability to serve as data modem via USB connection
Music playback file formats: .mp3, .wma, .aac, .m4a, .wav
Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263
Video streaming: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263 in .avi, .mp4, .wmv, .asf and .3gp containers
TV out (NTSC/PAL) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U, included)
FM radio (requires headset to be attached) and FM transmitter

Attachments

• nokia-n900-tall_closed.jpg
    nokia-n900-tall_closed.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 83
  • nokia-n900-wide_front.jpg
    nokia-n900-wide_front.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 74
  • nokia-n900-wide_keyboard.jpg
    nokia-n900-wide_keyboard.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 77
  • nokia-n900-wide_stand.jpg
    nokia-n900-wide_stand.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 91
  • nokia-n900-maemo.jpg
    nokia-n900-maemo.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 77

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
A few notes from a former owner.

-Screen is plastic and scratches too easily.
-Too small to be a good tablet
-Too big to be a good phone
-Skype integration is awesome
-Jerky Flash playback renders the Flash support useless
-Media management is shockingly bad
-Media support is amazingly good though

If you want an internet tablet that also does sms and voice, I'd suggest the Streak.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
A few notes from a former owner.

-Screen is plastic and scratches too easily.
-Too small to be a good tablet
-Too big to be a good phone
-Skype integration is awesome
-Jerky Flash playback renders the Flash support useless
-Media management is shockingly bad
-Media support is amazingly good though

If you want an internet tablet that also does sms and voice, I'd suggest the Streak.

phone screens are nearly all plastic. have you seen otherwise? scratches too easily? yes of course you can create some scratches if you use it with "keys'.

"too small to be a good tablet" - ? isn't the iphone too small to be a good ebook reader? isn't the ipad too big to be a good phone?

what is too big? the Nokia N900 is shorter in both height and width compared to iphone 3gs. N900 is only about 7MM more in depth. that's a quarter of an INCH. size comparison.

jerky flashback? there are tons of demo/test/user videos on youtube that show N900 handling flash quite well. so its not useless as you put it.

regarding media management, okay you may not like the way it organizes. but in what ways or compared to what its bad?

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Symbian, the Biggest Mobile OS No One Talks About

The Current State of Symbian Development

Good deal. You can ditch the crudy Symbian OS and put a fully working install of android on it.

- The N900 does not run Symbian. There are some tutorials I have seen for Android installation on N900.

Anyways, "symbian" is not a widely known word in the USA. but it remains the biggest mobile OS in the world.

symbian (Nokia) 44%
RIM (blackberry) 19%
Apple 15%
Android 10%
Windows mobile 7%
Linux 4%
other 1%
link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
phone screens are nearly all plastic. have you seen otherwise? scratches too easily? yes of course you can create some scratches if you use it with "keys'.

"too small to be a good tablet" - ? isn't the iphone too small to be a good ebook reader? isn't the ipad too big to be a good phone?

what is too big? the Nokia N900 is shorter in both height and width compared to iphone 3gs. N900 is only about 7MM more in depth. that's a quarter of an INCH. size comparison.

jerky flashback? there are tons of demo/test/user videos on youtube that show N900 handling flash quite well. so its not useless as you put it.

regarding media management, okay you may not like the way it organizes. but in what ways or compared to what its bad?

I'm just putting in my observations from several months using it. The iPhone screen, and any which uses glass does feel much more resilient. I used it with the Nokia leather holster and still managed to get a few hairline scratches. In the two years I had my iPhone 2G, the only scratches it had accrued were on the back.

It feels too thick. yes, on paper it may only be 7mm thicker, but it feels too chunky without feeling reassuringly heavy. It is also difficult (not impossible) to type one handed on it. Physical keyboards can be nice, but my thumbs do feel much less cramped on the iPhone.

The iPad is too big to be a phone, yes. However, it is just right as a tablet.

Maybe they have released another update to maemo, but at 1.2, the performance wasn't too awesome. Even overclocking the CPU to 1GHz and the DSP to 500MHz didn't do too much to help the playback.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal per se, in fact, it's a really good price, but if I were to get a Nokia, I would go for the N900's successor to ensure I get true support from Nokia with MeeGo when it comes into general release.

and Symbian was best when it wasn't called Symbian...

My views on Media management.

I shall compare with the iPod app on iOS.

1) spotty album art recognition
2) shuffle isn't particularly clever
3) playback can be jerky
4) for a long time, the media player widget didn't work
5) doesn't handle podcasts nicely (sees them the same as songs)
6) ugly controls
7) no eq presets
8) no genius shuffle (which is nice)

DLNA support, whilst not always functional and only works on the same subnet, is a nice idea though.

Another thing. The headphone port is poorly placed, as it is in a weird position when typing with the phone. nokia should've put the port in the top right corner rather than bottom right corner, that was as poor design as the iPhone antenna thing

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
A friend of mine refused to get an iPhone cause he 'hated' Apples prices. His g/f knew this and got him an N900 for his bday. When asked how much it cost, he said ".. the same as an iphone" When asked what he thinks of it, he picks up the phone, turns it on, tinkered with it for a few seconds, puts it down and goes ".. its ****.. the iphone is better... but no i refuse to buy the iphone."

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008

Attachments

• N900_trade_landingpage.jpg
    N900_trade_landingpage.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 79

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
chagla, do you work for Nokia?

There is a reason this phone is so cheap.

Hi David, informing the community of a savings coupon does not imply I work for Nokia.

I'm not sure what's your definition of "cheap". Gadgets always get cheaper with time. When N900 was introduced, it was well over $650+. Now that Nokia is introducing newer phones, they are trying to get rid of the inventory.

As an Apple fan, you must also know that Iphone 4 is also $199. It must be for the same "reason" as to why N900 is cheap. No? please enlighten us...

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks OP

I'm really considering this phone. Paying a $100 plus monthly for the iP4 to drop calls daily isn't right (maybe its AT&T). All I know is Tmo served me better at half the cost with unlocked iP3G, and it turns out this phone is completely compatible with Tmo's 3G (too bad the iphones aren't, still my first choice).

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
this post reeks of spam...

Yes "bo co mo", thank you very much for sharing your highly illuminating thoughts with us. We are forever indebted for your contribution.

epictempo, you're welcome. Please give it a try and you won't regret it. :)

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Symbian, the Biggest Mobile OS No One Talks About

The Current State of Symbian Development

- The N900 does not run Symbian. There are some tutorials I have seen for Android installation on N900.

Anyways, "symbian" is not a widely known word in the USA. but it remains the biggest mobile OS in the world.

symbian (Nokia) 44%
RIM (blackberry) 19%
Apple 15%
Android 10%
Windows mobile 7%
Linux 4%
other 1%
link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
Cool, but the N900 runs a GNU/Linux distribution called Maemo 5, which was now merged with Intel's GNU/Linux distribution, Moblin, to what is called MeeGo.

The N900 has the same hardware that the iPhone 3G has. I'm waiting for the N9, the successor. I hope it'll give me a nice time until the iPhone 4GS/5 hits the scene in June.
10x08108h3434tf.jpg

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
You seem surprised at the bias towards iPhone and the dislike towards the phone you present.

On a forum titled MACRumors.

Where most people are admitted MAC junkies.

... I believe a simple /facepalm would cover it.

EDIT:
Also, word on the street is that the UI is EXTREMELY unintuitive and anything but user friendly.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if i would buy a so called SMART phone , just in case my old nokia 6300 and my business e90 are dying and i cant get a normal phone any more where you can make calls with and eventually write a text on ,as on a PHONE i find all the other features are for children who like to play , i would choose the nokia over the iphone as it still has some sort of keyboard on it , small but a keyboard and separate screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.