Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Gallagher -- Homophobic, Racists Rants, Who Knew?

So I was never really a Gallagher fan back in his heyday, but like everyone around then I knew about his antics. But I don't recall this kind of stuff being part of his schtick back then, and it's really just too bad.
Quote:
You have your hat backward," Gallagher sneers at a twentysomething man in the front row. "Are you a homosexual? Because it seems you have a problem figuring out the front from the back.

Hey, President Obama," he spits out the name like a mouthful of burning hair. "You ain't black. I don't care what you say—you're a latte. You're half whole-milk. It could be goat milk—you could be a terrorist!" I am too busy losing my mind to catch the next joke, which is about Ted Kennedy's brain cancer. Aaaaand we're off.

Gallagher is upset about a lot of things. Young people with their sagging pants (in faintly coded racist terms, he explains that this is why the jails are overcrowded—because "their" baggy pants make it too hard for "them" to run from the cops). Tattoos: "That ink goes through to your soul—if you read your Bible, your body is a sacred temple, YOU DIPSHIT." People naming their girl-children Sam and Toni instead of acceptable names like Evelyn and Betty: "Just give her some little lesbian tendencies!" Guantánamo Bay: "We weren't even allowed to torture all the way. We had to half-torture—that's nothin' compared to what Saddam and his two sons OOFAY and GOOFAY did." Lesbians: "There's two types—the ugly ones and the pretty ones." (Um, like all people?) Obama again: "If Obama was really black, he'd act like a black guy and get a white wife." Michael Vick: "Poor Michael Vick." Women's lib: "These women told you they wanna be equal—they DON'T." Trans people: "People like Cher's daughter—figure that out. She wants a penis, but she has a big belly. If you can't see your dick, you don't get one." The Rice Krispies elves: "All three of those guys are gay. Look at 'em!" The Mexicans: "Look around—see any Mexicans? Nope. They'll be here later for the cleanup." The French: "They ruin our language with their faggy words."

Above all, everything is gay, gay, gay to Gallagher. He leans into it with the borderline- nonsensical, icked-out, ignorant glee of a boy—or the protest-too-much vigor of a GOP senator. Gallagher delivers your Bible verse for the day: "Without God, we are nothing but dust. What is butt dust? Is that what you get if your homosexual isn't properly lubricated?" He relates a story about spilling mouthwash onto his crotch during a show: "Lucky for me, there was no homosexuals in the area—'cause my balls was minty fresh." At other points during the show, Gallagher says, "Men and women can't live in the same house" and "There's no way men and women can have a relationship." He says he can't remember why he used to feel pleasure in looking at a woman. And, "There's only one kind of homosexual guy, and that's the pretty ones—why do homosexual men have to be so good-looking?"

Then Gallagher gets a tin pie plate. He opens a giant can of fruit cocktail and pours it in. He opens a can of some Asian vegetable—water chestnuts, maybe—and pours that in, too. "This is the China people and queers!!!" he screams and takes his sledgehammer to the thing with a fury that is no fun at all. Wet chunks of China people and queers fly everywhere.
I had no idea.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2
NT1440
macrumors G3

Wait, is this the watermelon guy?

Either way, what a douche.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Wait, is this the watermelon guy?

Either way, what a douche.
Yes, the watermelon guy -- although to be fair watermelons were only one of the things he used his trademark sledgehammer on.

And yes, what a douche.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

One line in the article stood out to me:

Quote:
My memories of watching Gallagher during my 1980s childhood (Comedy Central was my third parent) were pretty much apolitical
I grew up watching Gallagher on Showtime, and I don't remember him ever being apolitical - he was always picking on how he thought this politician or that political movement was "dumb." But he was far less abrasive about it back in those days.

And he's always told gay jokes, but for some reason it sticks in my mind that the general social climate was much different 25 years ago - comedians, TV shows, movies, or whatever, seemed to make much more fun of gays then, and get away with it more. Jokes that went over back then just about can't be told now.

I don't know how much of this has to do with Gallagher becoming more conservative, and how much of it has to do with him getting old and hanging on to a lot of the humor that people liked back then; but again, times have changed quite a bit.

Here's a non-Gallagher example of what I'm talking about - back in the 80's Genesis made a song called "Illegal Alien." Phil Collins sang it with a phony accent, and the whole song parodies an illegal immigrant's trying to sneak into the U.S. The video was hilarious. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell a band would be able to get away with something like that today; the entertainment-buying public isn't as tolerant of political incorrectness as we once were.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
So I was never really a Gallagher fan back in his heyday, but like everyone around then I knew about his antics. But I don't recall this kind of stuff being part of his schtick back then, and it's really just too bad.

I had no idea.
Funny you should post this I was just thinking about a Gallagher show I saw a few years back I was probably 12-13 and I don't have particularly clear memories of it.

But I do remember several confrontations during the show a college student was called up on stage for bad mouthing the guy and it looked like there was about to be a honest to god fight. After that the guy seemed to just lose it.

I live in a very liberal town so I wouldn't be surprised if thats what the confrontation was about, though I personally can't remember it. I don't even think I understood what was going on at the time.

edit: Just gave my dad a call and indeed without any prompting he recalled the confrontation as having something to do with gay rights, so apparently he's been off the tracks for a while now. I don't even think he smashed much fruit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
the entertainment-buying public isn't as tolerant of political incorrectness as we once were.
I'm very tolerant of political incorrectness but the word for this guy is just washed up loon, I remember the evening being un-comfortable not funny at all.

If this guy was ever funny he isn't anymore.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jul 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Merging, please use EDIT to add to a post...
AP_piano295 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:04 PM   #6
JediZenMaster
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JediZenMaster
What a friggin ass hat!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Ttownbeast
macrumors 65816

You sure it wasn't his brother Ron? as I recall Gallagher sold his twin brother the whole act over a decade and a half ago and retired.

Last edited by Ttownbeast; Jul 5, 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: used the wrong first name~sorry a little hungover today
Ttownbeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:57 PM   #8
yojitani
macrumors 68000

If you're like me and have no idea who Gallagher is, let me save you the google (or wikipedia) search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallagher_%28comedian%29

I thought this was about one of those two louts who front Oasis...
yojitani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Ttownbeast
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediZenMaster View Post
What a friggin ass hat!
I am sure he's probably got one of those somewhere in his prop warehouse LOL
Ttownbeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:10 PM   #10
That-Is-Bull
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to That-Is-Bull
This guy is indeed a douche, and a bigot (which I doubt even Full of Shivetya would deny), but not because of the jokes. Telling a bigoted joke doesn't make one a bigot. This line obviously does:

Quote:
"This is the China people and queers!!!" he screams and takes his sledgehammer to the thing with a fury that is no fun at all.
But other than that, I don't see a problem. If someone told a blonde joke, would you call them a bigot too?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Thomas Veil
macrumors 68020

Like Tomorrow, I remember Gallagher from his Showtime specials years and years ago. To my surprise, most of them were pretty good. His routine reminded me a lot of George Carlin talking about the foibles of life. I can still recall some of his funnier lines:

Quote:
When you're stuck in traffic and you see one of those guys on a motorcycle come white-linin' it down the highway...I think broomsticks should be legal.
Quote:
(Riffing on vagaries of the English language) L-a-u-g-h-t-e-r..."laffter". D-a-u-g-h-t-e-r..."dafter"?
I saw, I think, three specials of his that I liked. Then came the fourth one, and I was horrified. A lot of misogynistic jokes, a whole new anti-woman attitude. I remember my wife and I looking at each other and going, "What the hell happened to this guy??"

Now comedians, Gallagher included, have always made jokes about the opposite sex...but for the first time his humor had taken a mean turn. I can't even recall, two decades or so later, specifically what it was that he said, I just remember it was a big turn-off. I caught part of one of his next specials, and he did it again, and I gave up on the guy.
Thomas Veil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:19 PM   #12
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Is-Bull View Post
This guy is indeed a douche, and a bigot (which I doubt even Full of Shivetya would deny), but not because of the jokes. Telling a bigoted joke doesn't make one a bigot. This line obviously does:

But other than that, I don't see a problem. If someone told a blonde joke, would you call them a bigot too?
It depends heavily on delivery, if you tell a joke in a way that is not intended to be derogatory then you can slide.

There is a line it's a bit of a blurry line and its measured differently by different people. Gallagher's rants make it abundantly clear that he HATES gay people, he really DISLIKES black people.

Observational comics might make a point about society that is indeed "racist" or homophobic or whatever. But in that delivery they are not revealing hatred or anger towards that group.

A good example is South Park they ruthlessly belittle everyone and everything but they generally aren't criticized to heavily. Because in their delivery it is clear that they generally don't hold much ill will towards those groups.

(And when they do cross the line into actual anger they hate on groups who nobody likes like Scientologists .)
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:32 PM   #13
awmazz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Because it seems you have a problem figuring out the front from the back.

~

Gallagher is upset about a lot of things. Young people with their sagging pants (in faintly coded racist terms, he explains that this is why the jails are overcrowded—because "their" baggy pants make it too hard for "them" to run from the cops).
He's got it backwards. The sagging pants fashion derives from *after* being arrested and imprisoned, where they take the belts (and shoelaces) away. Everybody knows that.
awmazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:34 PM   #14
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Who would have thought a comedian could be abrasive?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:10 PM   #15
AP_piano295
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
Who would have thought a comedian could be abrasive?
Abrasive is a wholly different thing this is more on par with Crammer shouting "n***r" during a performance.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:25 AM   #16
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_piano295 View Post
Abrasive is a wholly different thing this is more on par with Crammer shouting "n***r" during a performance.
This is beyond comedy. It's sick.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:43 AM   #17
Queso
macrumors 603

When I saw this thread title I thought there's no way nice Mr. Noel could be saying things so dreadful.

So I'm glad to discover it's just another ignorant idiot from across the Pond
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:46 AM   #18
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queso View Post
When I saw this thread title I thought there's no way nice Mr. Noel could be saying things so dreadful.

So I'm glad to discover it's just another ignorant idiot from across the Pond
Unfortunately, we have way more than our share of idiots.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:22 PM   #19
VideoFreek
macrumors Demi-God

He's just a washed-up, bitter old man well past his 15 minutes. Regarding his intense homophobia, does anyone else get the impression he protests a bit too much? A closet case for sure, I think.
VideoFreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:14 PM   #20
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

This is just like the Dice Man's bits. They're supposed to be funny, because they shock you. That doesn't mean he believes the things he says. He's an entertainer for god's sake, and a washed up one at that.

Either way I've never been a fan of abrasive or angry comedy, and I've never found Gallagher to be funny.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:48 PM   #21
StruckANerve
macrumors 6502

You guys can't see this is an act to sell tickets? I believe comedians have the right to say whatever the hell they want about anything. If you don't like it don't go to their show.
StruckANerve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:49 PM   #22
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrrjw66 View Post
You guys can't see this is an act to sell tickets? I believe comedians have the right to say whatever the hell they want about anything. If you don't like it don't go to their show.
That's what I'm saying, dawg!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:56 PM   #23
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Of course he can say what he wants. But we have the right to call him an a**hole.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:18 PM   #24
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Who said anything about censoring the guy? Do I think he's a douche still? You betcha
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:20 PM   #25
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Who said anything about censoring the guy? Do I think he's a douche still? You betcha
Uhhh yes. Who said anything about censoring? Certainly not the person you quoted.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues