Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I do remember reading that the iphone has an fm receiver built in but not enabled. Has it been enabled?

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
...but if it's any consolation, there are numerous apps to listen to local radio stations (over the internet).

Local as in american or can they be used in other countries to pick up their respective local stations?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I heard a while back that Apple are developing an official FM radio app, however they are trying to incorporate the ability to tag a song and buy it via iTunes which is slowing things down. The phone itself does have FM ability built in and so did the 3GS I believe.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
To have an fm receiver you would need at least a quarter whip antenna...that would definitely make this antenna a bit bigger! :) so def no fm receiver

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
To have an fm receiver you would need at least a quarter whip antenna...that would definitely make this antenna a bit bigger! :) so def no fm receiver

What's a quarter whip antenna? I think the Zune had an FM radio built in and I don't remember there being an external antenna. Could be wrong as I've never owned a Zune.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Local as in american or can they be used in other countries to pick up their respective local stations?

Well, I only really have experience with iHeartRadio, and on that there are just a bunch of radio stations, organized by genre or location. I use mine by location so I can listen to the stations I listen to in the car (you can add favorite stations, just like the buttons on your car radio)...but there are some problems:

It doesn't have every station, so it's not really like a normal FM receiver

It's only a pool of a bunch of stations. It's not related to your geographic location at all.

I have no clue if it would work internationally, but I don't see why not.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I only really have experience with iHeartRadio, and on that there are just a bunch of radio stations, organized by genre or location. I use mine by location so I can listen to the stations I listen to in the car (you can add favorite stations, just like the buttons on your car radio)...but there are some problems:

It doesn't have every station, so it's not really like a normal FM receiver

It's only a pool of a bunch of stations. It's not related to your geographic location at all.

I have no clue if it would work internationally, but I don't see why not.

Ok thanks for the info. Will try out the app.

fhd4

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

According to ifixit there is an FM Receiver AND FM Transmitter in the iPhone ....

it is part of the Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG Chip.

PyIElNJPDwGKCiou.medium

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/3

iFixit mentioned the receiver only however the Broadcom site says that it is a combo FM (receiver and transmitter)

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM4329

The only missing part of the puzzle is the antenna ... whether it is available or not ... or can the wired headset act as an antenna like other phones ??

and of course you need the software .... :)

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
To me the software is no problem. Apple just has to enable the radio like it enabled bluetooth on my 2nd gen ipod touch. I'm confused about the antenna though. Does the iphone need an external antenna?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
To me the software is no problem. Apple just has to enable the radio like it enabled bluetooth on my 2nd gen ipod touch. I'm confused about the antenna though. Does the iphone need an external antenna?

As I pointed out above, what's wrong with the current antenna? Apple says there is nothing wrong with it.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
According to ifixit there is an FM Receiver AND FM Transmitter in the iPhone ....

it is part of the Broadcom BCM4329FKUBG Chip.

PyIElNJPDwGKCiou.medium

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/3

iFixit mentioned the receiver only however the Broadcom site says that it is a combo FM (receiver and transmitter)

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM4329

The only missing part of the puzzle is the antenna ... whether it is available or not ... or can the wired headset act as an antenna like other phones ??

and of course you need the software .... :)

You hit it on the head. For a fm receiver or transceiver you still need the antenna. What most small devices will do it just use the wired headphones as the antenna. The only thing is, it's a very poor antenna. The stations you would be able to receive haveto be pretty strong.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Most portable devices with built in FM radios (iPod nano, zune) use the plugged in headphones as the external antenna.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Slight derail: any way to increase the effectiveness of external antennas, eg. the nano?
Mine doesn't get that good of reception.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
As I pointed out above, what's wrong with the current antenna? Apple says there is nothing wrong with it.

I think you misinterpreted what we're talking about. Apple is not commenting on an FM antenna.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
We just don't know at this point if the chip is connected to the headphone socket so it can act as an antenna. We'll probably only find out if Apple releases an app.

Phazer

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008

Yes, buy Wunderradio and have access to radio stations throughout the world, neatly indexed.

Take note that Clear Channel doesn't allow any other iPhone app to list its radio stations. You'll have to buy iHeart Radio for those =(

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
To chime in, if you need a solid radio app, ooTunes is perfect. And the dev is VERY responsive to emails and requests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.