Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Hi there,

I recently began using both AirPort Express, and Vonage. Vonage sent me a Linksys router and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set this up.

At the moment, I only have a laptop which I use wirelessly with the AX. However, I was wondering what the best way would be to setup the IPs and all that. The default IP of the router is 192.168.15.1, while the AX begins with a 10 and distributes an IP beginning with a 10 to my iBook.

What is the best/easiest way to setup these IPs. Also, I occasionally use Azureus...so I need to be able to properly forward ports for use with Azureus.

I am new to networking and much of the terminology is daunting. Any assistance is welcome.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
stevietheb said:
Hi there,

I recently began using both AirPort Express, and Vonage. Vonage sent me a Linksys router and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set this up.

At the moment, I only have a laptop which I use wirelessly with the AX. However, I was wondering what the best way would be to setup the IPs and all that. The default IP of the router is 192.168.15.1, while the AX begins with a 10 and distributes an IP beginning with a 10 to my iBook.

What is the best/easiest way to setup these IPs. Also, I occasionally use Azureus...so I need to be able to properly forward ports for use with Azureus.

I am new to networking and much of the terminology is daunting. Any assistance is welcome.

check on Apple's website. They have support for Airport, and it shows different diagrams as to how you might set it up. Probably what you want to do is plug the vonage router into your cable modem/dsl, and then plug the ax into the router. the router will give the ax an IP address, and the AX will then distribute IP addresses to your notebook (and any others).

You'll set the router to DHCP, to receive one from your ISP, and then it can give out either DHCP addresses, or set your AX to a fixed IP. The configuration of the AX shouldn't have to change unless you set it to fixed IP.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
does anyone have any idea how to make bridging to a connection coming from a PC?

I have an old PC at home, which is always on, and it is connected with a USB ADSL modem.. I use a Surecom 802.11gp WiFi router, and want to bridge the connection to extend the coverage..

the connection program for PC just sucks, but there must be another way.. :confused:

EDIT: its my 500th post.. its fun to be with you guys, to be in a such a wonderful community.. love u all.. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.