Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
So I bought my MBP 13" at Christmas 2009, and have used it regularly (read: daily, like most people here). Today I closed the lid for about 30 minutes, and when I opened it again, I got my authentication screen, but no response after entering my password. I waited a few minutes, hit the power button, then powered it on again. Now, I get the blank grey screen without the Apple logo showing that it's booting. I've tried booting from the DVD, but it doesn't respond to C, Option or even Cmd+V for Verbose mode. I can hear the HDD whirling away for a while, then stops.

Have I been hit by the Blank Screen of Death? My iBook needed a new logic board, so I bought a MacBook. That MacBook had its logic board replaced for a bad FW port under AppleCare. Now I have a nice MBP and it does this? Not cool.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you power down, wait a few seconds, and then power up while holding COMMAND+OPTION+P+R until you've heard the reboot chime three times, does that do anything?

wesg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
So far, nothing. Just blasted it, still just blank screen. HDD still spins, as far as I can tell.

wesg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm a little nervous, now. I pulled the drive, put it in another enclosure, then connected that to another MacBook in the house. I can clearly hear the drive beep now, which means the drive has got to be bad. I have a backup from a few weeks ago, but that won't do.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I'm a little nervous, now. I pulled the drive, put it in another enclosure, then connected that to another MacBook in the house. I can clearly hear the drive beep now, which means the drive has got to be bad. I have a backup from a few weeks ago, but that won't do.

whoa you got to be kidding me right? You bought your mac a year ago and the Hard-drive already gone bad?

Man and I thought Macs were sold because of Quality.

ktbpylon

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Huh?

whoa you got to be kidding me right? You bought your mac a year ago and the Hard-drive already gone bad?

Man and I thought Macs were sold because of Quality.

You do realize that Apple doesn't actually manufacture the hard drives in the Macbook Pro's, right? Whether it was a Seagate, a WD, a Samsung or a Maxtor, the hard drive going bad is not a reflection of Apple quality.

Maybe do a little research before you make snide comments?

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
You do realize that Apple doesn't actually manufacture the hard drives in the Macbook Pro's, right? Whether it was a Seagate, a WD, a Samsung or a Maxtor, the hard drive going bad is not a reflection of Apple quality.

Maybe do a little research before you make snide comments?

regardless if Apple doesn't manufacture the hard-drives, guess who the consumers are going to blame if their macbook pro dies because of an hard-drive failure... thats right Apple because it is their line of computers.

Apple should start investing more for better hard-drive quality if they are going to sell computers up to 1k+

ktbpylon

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Wow...

regardless if Apple doesn't manufacture the hard-drives, guess who the consumers are going to blame if their macbook pro dies because of an hard-drive failure... thats right Apple because it is their line of computers.

Apple should start investing more for better hard-drive quality if they are going to sell computers up to 1k+

That doesn't even make any sense! It doesn't matter who the consumer blames - it doesn't change the fact that Apple doesn't make the hard drives. Consumers can yell until they're blue in the face, but all Apple can do is shrug and honour the warranty. You can blame Apple all you want, it still won't alter reality.

What the heck to you mean, Apple should invest more for better hard drive quality? The only way Apple could do that is by manufacturing their own hard drives. And why would they do that if the existing companies already do it well? Good lord...

It isn't as if Apple uses no-name brand hard drives. While the original poster is unfortunate, his hard drive failure isn't exactly an everyday occurrence.

By your logic, if an Alienware hard drive fails, can I call the company a piece of crap and complain about them charging too much for laptops?

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
That doesn't even make any sense! It doesn't matter who the consumer blames - it doesn't change the fact that Apple doesn't make the hard drives. Consumers can yell until they're blue in the face, but all Apple can do is shrug and honour the warranty. You can blame Apple all you want, it still won't alter reality.

What the heck to you mean, Apple should invest more for better hard drive quality? The only way Apple could do that is by manufacturing their own hard drives. And why would they do that if the existing companies already do it well? Good lord...

It isn't as if Apple uses no-name brand hard drives. While the original poster is unfortunate, his hard drive failure isn't exactly an everyday occurrence.

By your logic, if an Alienware hard drive fails, can I call the company a piece of crap and complain about them charging too much for laptops?

I wouldn't call the company a piece of crap because of one product(Or maybe I would), just their line of computer are piece of crap. By my logic, I call a company a piece crap if a product fails on me. I don't care if its components not related to Apple. As you see, hard-drive failure are one of the top killers in computers. I don't see why Apple can't INVEST MORE to get BETTER HARD DRIVES from seagate or whatever.

And what do you mean it doesn't make any sense. I am pretty sure most Consumers would blame Apple if their MBP fails. They probably don't care if its hard-drive or whatever and blames it on Apple anyway. I just jump the bandwagon because I feel it is Apple's duty to inspect and make sure they are putting in QUALITY hardware into their computers like they are suppose to.

I am sorry if I am bias, but any MBP failing in under one year just gets me off. But hey atleast OP still have warranty so he can take some cash off of job's wallet to get his MBP fix.

wesg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, ON
whoa you got to be kidding me right?

Yeah, I probably should have stated that the drive in use was actually in my previous MacBook, probably for a year or more. Still not a long time, but definitely not the 6 months since I bought the machine.

EDIT: It's a Seagate 250GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.