Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
marcmarcdv said:
How do I put DVDs onto my iPad ?

HandBrake is a great program for ripping and encoding DVDs. Either their Apple TV or their Apple Universal settings preset will produce an iTunes friendly ".m4v" file which will look good on the iPad.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
HandBrake + VLC. You need VLC to break the encryption or something on the DVD. Make sure if you go 32-bit, both apps are 32-bit. And vice versa for 64-bit. I recommend 64-bit for a boost in speed.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
The problem with AppleTV setting is you can't sync to iPhone. You will have to do two files if you want to sync between iPhone & iPad.

I just use the iPhone settings. Looks fine on iPad.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
DjAmTraX said:
The problem with AppleTV setting is you can't sync to iPhone. You will have to do two files if you want to sync between iPhone & iPad.

I just use the iPhone settings. Looks fine on iPad.

I think the Apple Universal preset will give you better quality than the iPhone setting, but will be compatible with all three devices.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Screen shot of iPad video ripped to iPhone settings with Handbrake. It looks better playing than paused for screen shot.

AppleTV setting now playable on iPhone and iPad?

Attachments

• photo-1.png
    photo-1.png
    599.4 KB · Views: 177

magiclaffs

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Handbrake crash

For some reason Handbrake crashes every time I try to use it after install. Likely there is some conflict in the system?

So...I use PQDVD. It is very easy though a bit expensive at 30.00 or so.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
For some reason Handbrake crashes every time I try to use it after install. Likely there is some conflict in the system?

So...I use PQDVD. It is very easy though a bit expensive at 30.00 or so.

Are you on Windows XP with Norton installed? That was my brother's problem. Uninstall Norton.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Just a tip if you are a windows user and going to use handbrake. I encoded a video 4 times and could not get the sound to work no matter what I did. The problem was just windows media player. It played fine in quicktime and iTunes and on my iPad. I spent a day encoding this movie over and over thinking I was doing something wrong...so just warning you to check the video in iTunes before assuming something is wrong.

magiclaffs

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Who else?

Are you on Windows XP with Norton installed? That was my brother's problem. Uninstall Norton.

Yeah, you guessed it. Norton and XP. Comcast shifted over from providing free McAfee (which I liked) to free Norton. Norton is just a pain in the rear. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Used 64bit Handbrake & 64bit VLC on my MacPro to convert a Korean SciFi film and it works great! Complete with subtitles, which I didn't expect. Playback is perfect on iPad.

Downside... 2Gb video file causes the iPad backup to take FOREVER... so a quick sync before leaving the house in the morning = fail.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Used 64bit Handbrake & 64bit VLC on my MacPro to convert a Korean SciFi film and it works great! Complete with subtitles, which I didn't expect. Playback is perfect on iPad.

Downside... 2Gb video file causes the iPad backup to take FOREVER... so a quick sync before leaving the house in the morning = fail.

Out of interest why did you choose such a large file?...couldn't you have specified 750mb?...my rips rarely go over 800mb and still look good on a 46" TV.

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
I use DVDFab to rip the DVD and then use Handbrake to convert into an .mp4. I use the Apple TV option for conversion.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Out of interest why did you choose such a large file?...couldn't you have specified 750mb?...my rips rarely go over 800mb and still look good on a 46" TV.

Was my fist attempt to encode, I will go back and try with different settings. 2Gb IS overly large, I realise that :) I'd not normally expect a movie to be over 750mb.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If I'm using Mac the ripper to rip the disks and handbrake to encode them.... Is there a way to decrease the quality a little for my son's cartoons? Right now my typical size video for myself is about 1GB.

jecastejon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
If I'm using Mac the ripper to rip the disks and handbrake to encode them.... Is there a way to decrease the quality a little for my son's cartoons? Right now my typical size video for myself is about 1GB.

On Handbrake first set the target encoder you use, Apple TV, iPhone & iPod Touch, etc, then you have the Ratio check option "Target size (MB):" under the "Video" tab, check this and set the size you want. Keep the H.264 (x264) option and also "Framerate (FPS) Same as Source". You could always go down on quality and the iDevices should read them fine as they support a maximum bitrate not a minimum.

chris650

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I also recommend Handbrake + VLC

but a slightly different idea - once you've ripped your DVDs using Handbrake/VLC and saved them on your Mac or PC hard drive, you can stream them wirelessly to your iPhone or iPad using the Air Video app (no need to sync/store them locally on your iPhone/iPad)

will play other video formats too, e.g. AVI

http://lifehacker.com/5516405/air-v...ipad-is-the-best-3-ive-spent-in-the-app-store

This is exactly what I am looking for!

One question, I have all my DVD ripped to ISO already. Could you tell me what the next step for Handbrake. I want to maintain as high resolution as possible, for iPad, and future higher resolution devices.

Thank you.

Woomy123

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
This is exactly what I am looking for!

One question, I have all my DVD ripped to ISO already. Could you tell me what the next step for Handbrake. I want to maintain as high resolution as possible, for iPad, and future higher resolution devices.

Thank you.

Just use the apple tv preset in handbrake, then air video it to ur iPad works wonders for me, and looks beautiful

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.