Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Rojo
macrumors 65816

HELP! All new photos deleted during update!

So my boyfriend and I were on vacation, and we both took a ton of photos with our iPhone 3Gs. We then bought new iPhone 4s and continued to take a bunch of photos with the new iPhone's better cameras.

We just got home, and my boyfriend first synced his old 3G phone to get all of the photos from there. Then he synced the new phone...but accidentally made the mistake of restoring from backup -- thinking it would work like syncing a bunch of Macs together and would just combine all the data. But it basically deleted ALL the new photos he took with the new iPhone 4 and replaced them with what was on the 3G.

We know it's HIGHLY unlikely...but is there ANY chance there's a way to get back these photos? Some possibility that they are still temporarily there somehow? That there's some kind of software that could extract them? There were some really special memories in those photos, and some really amazing shots that will never be duplicated -- and it's just devastating us the thought that they may be lost forever. Surely we can't be the only people who've bought new iPhones and wanted to use them right away before syncing them? And it's surprising that there ares not MORE popup warnings that will say all the current data will be wiped out and replaced.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks
Rojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Oompaloompas
Banned

im sorry .... i love taking pics with my iphone much of my memories are made with it... but im sorry they are gone
Oompaloompas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 02:15 AM   #3
reservedegotist
macrumors regular

I'm a bit confused how did you use the i4 without activation? In any case when you connected the iPhone 4 aren't the pictures synced into the computer in iPhoto?

Sorry for the distress
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Rojo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompaloompas View Post
im sorry .... i love taking pics with my iphone much of my memories are made with it... but im sorry they are gone
That's what we feared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reservedegotist View Post
I'm a bit confused how did you use the i4 without activation? In any case when you connected the iPhone 4 aren't the pictures synced into the computer in iPhoto?

Sorry for the distress
The phones were activated at the Apple Store, we just weren't going to be home for a while to sync them -- which meant a long time using them without all the apps, music, etc. from our previous phones.

Also - when we connected the phone to the computer, iPhoto WAS activated at first. However...no pictures were showing up, which my boyfriend thought was odd. He figured he needed to sync it first or something. But the sync replaced all the new photos taken -- so no photos actually made it to iPhoto.

Oh well...hard lesson learned.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:38 AM   #5
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
That's what we feared.

The phones were activated at the Apple Store, we just weren't going to be home for a while to sync them -- which meant a long time using them without all the apps, music, etc. from our previous phones.

Also - when we connected the phone to the computer, iPhoto WAS activated at first. However...no pictures were showing up, which my boyfriend thought was odd. He figured he needed to sync it first or something. But the sync replaced all the new photos taken -- so no photos actually made it to iPhoto.

Oh well...hard lesson learned.
If it backed up before the sync (which it should have), you can restore from that backup and get the pics back.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
headcheese
macrumors regular

Quote:
If it backed up before the sync (which it should have), you can restore from that backup and get the pics back.
ding ding ding
headcheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
If that dosen't work, you can jailbreak it and run file recovery programs, though as the data may have been overwritten already, I have no idea if it'll work or not.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Rojo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
My boyfriend just went to do a restore from backup -- unfortunately there wasn't one there for the new iPhone 4. Just the older stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
If that dosen't work, you can jailbreak it and run file recovery programs, though as the data may have been overwritten already, I have no idea if it'll work or not.
Yeah...no thanks. We've never jailbroken any phone, and are not going to start now...especially if there's no guarantee it would work.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:55 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
My boyfriend just went to do a restore from backup -- unfortunately there wasn't one there for the new iPhone 4. Just the older stuff.

Yeah...no thanks. We've never jailbroken any phone, and are not going to start now...especially if there's no guarantee it would work.
Yes, jailbreaking and then trying to get the data would be a waste of time.

You might tell your boyfriend that the first things I always do when I hook up a new iPhone that has data on it that I'm going to sync is make a backup and transfer purchases. It might save some grief in the future.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:03 PM   #10
SingBlueSilver
macrumors member

Not sure if it would work on the iphone, but you can try some sort of photo recovery software. You can find some free ones that work pretty good.
SingBlueSilver is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone