Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Hi,

I have several colleagues sharing my address book (all 10.6) through 10.6 server.

What I would like to do is restrict their ability to read only so that they can only alter contacts, is that possible?

Thanks,

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
A little confused...you want to restrict them to read only, but allow them to alter contacts which would imply read and write? On SLS, once you enable the Address Book server the permissions are set through the actual Address Book app, so whatever delegation you can do there for read/write is about it.

designjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
A little confused...

Sorry - I somehow had not realised how poorly written my question was.

I want to share my address book with other users on my network, however I want them to have read only access.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Regardless, the only sharing permissions available are in Address Book itself, so open up Address Book, create a new CardDAV account to your server, then see what delegation options are available. I'm at work and don't have my Mac in front of me so I can't see for myself.

Don't be too surprised if it doesn't work well, Snow Leopard's implementation of Address Book is still very trivial because the CardDAV protocol is still in its infancy.

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Can't you just turn off [uncheck] "Allow Editing" under AddressBook>Preferences>Accounts>Sharing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.