Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ridiculous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I know this sounds odd but I literally woke up this morning and saw this:

http://gallery.me.com/ashley.warren#100011

I was using the phone last night and it was pristine, put it in my bedside table, woke up this morning, picked up the phone, saw the crack. It's had the bumper on it since day 1.

I already setup a swap at the Apple store but I just wanted to post here, this stuff is fragile! Be careful, glass is glass apparently, no matter what Apple says.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Most likely slid off the table or desk or whatever, or got knocked off while the OP was sleeping (sleepwalker? iPhone destroyer?), no idea.

Not the first report of such an instance: "I went to bed with the phone on the dresser/table/night stand next to my bed, woke up and found it on the floor" etc.

And I doubt it'll be the last, either. :(

ridiculous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
It's a black Apple bumper.

So your phone just cracked on it's own? That's hard to believe.

Yea it is, trust me, it's incredibly hard to believe but I assure you, true. The "start" of the crack looks like it pulled away from the back a touch. My guess is that the pressure of the metal band around the glass combined with it pulling away from the backing forced the crack. You can't feel anything when rubbing your finger over it, so it cracked from underneath.

ridiculous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Most likely slid off the table or desk or whatever, or got knocked off while the OP was sleeping (sleepwalker? iPhone destroyer?), no idea.

Not the first report of such an instance: "I went to bed with the phone on the dresser/table/night stand next to my bed, woke up and found it on the floor" etc.

And I doubt it'll be the last, either. :(

Nope, sits inside my bedside table, I went to bed put it in there, woke up got it out. No sleepwalking, nobody else touched it, I know it's hard to believe, but it's true, plus you can see from the images the phone was never dropped, there is not one scratch on the phone. Stop disbelieving, and just start protecting your phone, preferably NOT with an Apple bumper.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
just start protecting your phone, preferably NOT with an Apple bumper.

Indeed. Although this "Gorilla glass" is supposedly of the same type used in helicopters and high-speed trains, it's rather brittle. Cell phones potentially take a lot of abuse & so for one that is sandwiched between two pieces of crack-prone glass, it's essential to get a good case!

I'm waiting for the Defender from Otterbox. In the interim I'm using the Belkin Grip Vue which is only a slight improvement over Apple's 29$ rubber band.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
I'm still waiting for someone to do this with an iPhone 4:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/29/dell-streaks-gorilla-glass-screen-torture-tested-for-your-amus/

Any takers? :D

And make note: the 5" display on the Dell Streak - because of it's size - is more susceptible to breaking because of this type of demo since it has a far larger surface area. The smaller screen size of the iPhone 4 should be stronger... of course this is full on bashing to death of the display but, even so.

I honestly believe that if I whipped out a Bic pen and did this test on the iPhone 4 I've got sitting here it would shatter on the first impact... I honestly do believe that.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
It's interesting how everyone is calling the glass "Gorilla glass" when Apple never stated what type or who made it.

Has it been confirmed by anyone that the glass is actually "Gorilla glass" or are people just going to keep using that term because it sounds good? :confused:

Nahmeanz

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Your screen cracked with a bumper on it while sitting inside your bedside table? That's incredibly hard to believe, but Apple is being really easy with courtesy exchanges. My sister dropped her phone on the 4th from her lap onto an asphalt driveway and her screen got smashed, I brought it to the Apple Store and they replaced it no questions asked.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I can believe it. My Macbook Pro's glass did that a little over a year ago. Woke up one morning and had a crack similiar to that in the glass of my MBP.

ridiculous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Indeed. Although this "Gorilla glass" is supposedly of the same type used in helicopters and high-speed trains, it's rather brittle. Cell phones potentially take a lot of abuse & so for one that is sandwiched between two pieces of crack-prone glass, it's essential to get a good case!

I'm waiting for the Defender from Otterbox. In the interim I'm using the Belkin Grip Vue which is only a slight improvement over Apple's 29$ rubber band.

I'm waiting for the otterbox defender also, although the iPad cases aren't even out yet, who knows how many more cracked iPhones I have to go through before they finally release the defender for iPhone 4 ;)

rookie1082

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
It's interesting how everyone is calling the glass "Gorilla glass" when Apple never stated what type or who made it.

Has it been confirmed by anyone that the glass is actually "Gorilla glass" or are people just going to keep using that term because it sounds good? :confused:

People are just calling it that to give their units something positive in lieu of the negative press regarding the hardware build of the phone. Fact is, it's NOT gorilla glass -- otherwise Apple would have said it was. It's a cheap knockoff that breaks easily.

Apple could venture into the dessert business and sell a cannoli made out of poop, and people would say they reinvented it and made it better. Ah well, Just how most Apple consumers function.

Disgusting.

Gorilla glass - LOL!

ridiculous

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Your screen cracked with a bumper on it while sitting inside your bedside table? That's incredibly hard to believe, but Apple is being really easy with courtesy exchanges. My sister dropped her phone on the 4th from her lap onto an asphalt driveway and her screen got smashed, I brought it to the Apple Store and they replaced it no questions asked.

Yea I'm sure they won't give me any issues and honestly I would tell them if it dropped, I have Apple Care and with the bumper I still wouldn't think this would happen. So even if I dropped it I'm sure they would swap it. But again I didn't drop it, well I "set" it, so I guess it was "dropped" about 2cm to the bottom of my drawer :)

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
People are just calling it that to give their units something positive in lieu of the negative press regarding the hardware build of the phone. Fact is, it's NOT gorilla glass -- otherwise Apple would have said it was. It's a cheap knockoff that breaks easily.

Apple could venture into the dessert business and sell a cannoli made out of poop, and people would say they reinvented it and made it better. Ah well, Just how most Apple consumers function.

Disgusting.

Gorilla glass - LOL!

I know. It needs to stop as the glass is NOT "gorilla glass". Same with the "death grip" reception issue. There is nothing "death grip" about it. Whoever is coining these phrases needs to be fired.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
My biggest gripe about the glass is:

Why the hell did they even say "30x stronger than plastic"? Who cares about plastic? :)

Would have made some sense to say "it's 30% more resistant to scratching than the glass on the iPhone 3GS" or something of a similar manner, but plastic?

Who writes this stuff for Apple? :D

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
My biggest gripe about the glass is:

Why the hell did they even say "30x stronger than plastic"? Who cares about plastic? :)

Would have made some sense to say "it's 30% more resistant to scratching than the glass on the iPhone 3GS" or something of a similar manner, but plastic?

Who writes this stuff for Apple? :D

Marketing people write it to create awe and generate hype :eek:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know...Same with the "death grip" reception issue. There is nothing "death grip" about it. Whoever is coining these phrases needs to be fired.

Well, your signal does die. :D

Maybe it should be called grip of death, which sounds like a cool martial arts move. Or for us dorks, Vulcan nerve pinch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.