Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I bought a MBP 13 for school next semester a few days ago. I'm very seriously considering taking it back to the Apple Store, because the weight is just a little over the edge of what I can comfortably carry.

To give a little perspective, I live in Boston. Parking in my neighborhood is crazy, at least $200 a month. That's more than some people's car payments. For this reason, I share a car with my husband. I bought a motorcycle earlier this year, a 2009 Honda CBR 600rr - a fast, sexy sports bike. I always thought they were badass - but they're also cheap to drive, and can be parked behind my apartment for free.

The down side to this is it means all my gear must really be carried with me - either on the T, by walking, or by motorcycling. I jumped on the T and went to U Mass last night. Carrying 4.5 pounds of computer in a 1.4 pound MacCase Flight Jacket got old very quickly. I have the lighter nylon version on the Flight Jacket on the way, just 15 oz, but I really have to question if it will help.

I'm really wondering if I made a mistake selling my Air. I like the speed of this machine, I like the improved display, I LOVE the phenomenal battery life, but I'm not sure I can adjust to the weight of it. Maybe I should have just traded that standard model for one with an SSD.

Advice is appreciated.
Bri

peterb69

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
For the price point, and expandability, yes you made the right choice. Also, depending on what subjects your class is, you made the right choice.

That said, following your posts and others recently about your MBA experience swayed me to buy a used MBA w/ 128 SDD off e-bay (wanted new or refurb but not at that price). As it will not be my primary computer, and stuck in my backpack style camera case, I did not want to add the extra weight to my already heavy camera/lens. For what I need it for, I'm glad I got the MBA.

If only a new one with more Ram and maybe a bit better battery all in the present body would come out. I doubt that would require much production change for Apple.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
i just want to say, girls who ride pocket rockets (cbr 600rr's awesome, btw) are hawt. what was the problem with your mbp again?? ;)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I want an air too :D It'll be for programming so I don't need a ton of power. I think the MBA would be the perfect college notebook.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
i just want to say, girls who ride pocket rockets (cbr 600rr's awesome, btw) are hawt. what was the problem with your mbp again?? ;)

They're called Crotch Rockets. not pocket rockets.

A motorcycle does not fit in your pocket after all.

This is a pocket rocket
216S1EC56NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
I bought a MBP 13 for school next semester a few days ago. I'm very seriously considering taking it back to the Apple Store, because the weight is just a little over the edge of what I can comfortably carry.

To give a little perspective, I live in Boston. Parking in my neighborhood is crazy, at least $200 a month. That's more than some people's car payments. For this reason, I share a car with my husband. I bought a motorcycle earlier this year, a 2009 Honda CBR 600rr - a fast, sexy sports bike. I always thought they were badass - but they're also cheap to drive, and can be parked behind my apartment for free.

The down side to this is it means all my gear must really be carried with me - either on the T, by walking, or by motorcycling. I jumped on the T and went to U Mass last night. Carrying 4.5 pounds of computer in a 1.4 pound MacCase Flight Jacket got old very quickly. I have the lighter nylon version on the Flight Jacket on the way, just 15 oz, but I really have to question if it will help.

I'm really wondering if I made a mistake selling my Air. I like the speed of this machine, I like the improved display, I LOVE the phenomenal battery life, but I'm not sure I can adjust to the weight of it. Maybe I should have just traded that standard model for one with an SSD.

Advice is appreciated.
Bri

I also have a 600RR.;-))

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You know what's in my bag that I carry around almost every day?

MBP 17"
Charger
Extension cord
iPad
and many many more things.

Maybe going to the gym would help?

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I also have a 600RR.;-))

Oh? Which one do you have? They are so much fun to drive! It's my first bike, and I totally love it.

Consultant, I run 50 miles a week, that's 2600 miles a year. How thousands of miles a year do you run? Why don't you go attempt it and come back to the board and tell me to go to the gym.

The difference in hauling around 1.5 pounds of computer is a more drastic compromise than I though it would be when you're on foot all day. If you live in one of the square states or whatever, where you can drive all the time - it's probably no big deal.

Bri

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
You know what? I have a MBP 13 and I agree with you. The Air is amazing. When researching the MBP, I noted that it was lighter than almost all of its direct competitors. But as a practical matter it feels just about as heavy. If the MBA met your needs you should consider going back.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
MBP13" is just 2KG, considering what you got is quite light. I use ti for works and it is perfect.

ct95

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I lug around a 13" MBP on travel and it's fine for me, although I'm a guy. One thing that helps me is to use a backpack style laptop bag. It seems much preferable to any shoulder type bag.

Gakboi

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010

Advice is appreciated.
Bri

Seriously? Time for a gym subscription.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Wait about a week, you should get used to the new weight than. The MB Air would feel heavy if you stopped carrying it everyday in your bag and then went back to it.

-A guy who has rucked around with a 50 pound sack before.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Well, no one other than you can decide if you made the right choice or not. It's a matter of deciding which factors are more important to you, performance & display vs weight.

There are some things you could consider: Perhaps try a different bag/case/strap? A laptop might be too heavy (say) strung over your shoulder, but in a rucksack type bag might feel far more comfortable. Maybe try a few and see what works best for you. I've found even having the length of the strap too short/long can make a weight more uncomfortable.

If you bring accessories (such as a power adaptor) with it - do you have a locker at school where you could leave a spare power adaptor, mouse etc. so you don't have to carry those back and forth too?

(I have to carry a USB cooling pad with my MBP, as otherwise it overheats with any heavy usage. That, and the MBP, and power supply, and cables... at least it saves me a gym subscription!)

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Seriously? Time for a gym subscription.

I have a gym subscription. I work out like I'm part of the cast of Jersey Shore. I'm sitting at the computer with my job 9 hours a day, and it's my favorite part of my day. I'm just a very skinny girl - 5.9 pounds is heavy for me to comfortably lug around all day.

Wait about a week, you should get used to the new weight than. The MB Air would feel heavy if you stopped carrying it everyday in your bag and then went back to it.

-A guy who has rucked around with a 50 pound sack before.

Haha. Fair enough. Does that mean Army? I guess 6 pounds seems kind of whiny. But, if you were used to the weight of the Air you'd know what I mean.

Well, no one other than you can decide if you made the right choice or not. It's a matter of deciding which factors are more important to you, performance & display vs weight.

There are some things you could consider: Perhaps try a different bag/case/strap? A laptop might be too heavy (say) strung over your shoulder, but in a rucksack type bag might feel far more comfortable. Maybe try a few and see what works best for you. I've found even having the length of the strap too short/long can make a weight more uncomfortable.

If you bring accessories (such as a power adaptor) with it - do you have a locker at school where you could leave a spare power adaptor, mouse etc. so you don't have to carry those back and forth too?

(I have to carry a USB cooling pad with my MBP, as otherwise it overheats with any heavy usage. That, and the MBP, and power supply, and cables... at least it saves me a gym subscription!)

It's a new school, so I'm not sure if I can keep a locker at the gym yet. That will make a major difference for me. But thanks for recognizing that it's something only I can decide.

I am going to keep carrying it around all day every day this week. If I can't get used to it then, I'm sending it back.

Bri

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Wow 4.5lbs weigh soooooooo much, doesn't sound like your ready for a kid (if your a female).

Like the consultant said, how about going to the gym? I mean let's get real here people, you buy groceries, you carry laundry, if your in school you CARRY books, you need some type of muscle to maneuver a bike.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Wow 4.5lbs weigh soooooooo much, doesn't sound like your ready for a kid (if your a female).

Yet another reason to not join the Mommy Mafia. I mean, except for the gorgeous floral stretch pants.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

Like the consultant said, how about going to the gym? I mean let's get real here people, you buy groceries, you carry laundry, if your in school you CARRY books, you need some type of muscle to maneuver a bike.

She did say she goes to the gym? Read the thread...

Anyway, it's not about whether spacekatgal is physically capable of carrying around a 13" MBP. It's just more than she wants to carry around. I mean, the 21.5" iMac only weighs 20.5 pounds. Why don't more people carry those on their back. Or get a 10 lb Dell. It's not that heavy for a college kid who already carries 15-20 lbs of books around. :mad:

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
this is really a personal opinion question.

I think the weight of a MBP is trivial... I'm also 230 lbs and do a lot of work on my house with 50 lbs bags of various stuff (sand, cement, stucco, etc.). I'm not mr. muscles or anything, but 4.5 lbs is trivial compared to my 1.5 year old daughter. So for me, I think it would be silly to trade off the power for a lighter machine.

For you, it sounds like the extra weight is enough of a factor to where that trade off is worth while.

Oh, and running doesn't really build muscle. What consultant said is spot on and didn't require your "get back to me when you run as much as I do" comment... hit the gym if you want to be strong enough to carry more weight. Or at least do something with your arms... unless you plan to strap the thing to your legs, then maybe the running will work.

You should try getting a different bag that holds the laptop in a more ergonomic position perhaps so the weight is more evenly distributed. Reading your post though, it seems like you've made up your mind on wanting a lighter computer but just want confirmation that that is the "right decision" - but again, that's really a personal choice given your situation and requirements.

edit: Given that you have a gym membership and work out like you're at the jersey shore (you said it, not me!) you just might not be able to carry the weight considering your size and may have to settle for the air. I'd personally keep the laptop and allow your body to adjust to the weight over time.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
this is really a personal opinion question.

I think the weight of a MBP is trivial... I'm also 230 lbs and do a lot of work on my house with 50 lbs bags of various stuff (sand, cement, stucco, etc.). I'm not mr. muscles or anything, but 4.5 lbs is trivial compared to my 1.5 year old daughter. So for me, I think it would be silly to trade off the power for a lighter machine.

For you, it sounds like the extra weight is enough of a factor to where that trade off is worth while.

Oh, and running doesn't really build muscle. What consultant said is spot on and didn't require your "get back to me when you run as much as I do" comment... hit the gym if you want to be strong enough to carry more weight. Or at least do something with your arms... unless you plan to strap the thing to your legs, then maybe the running will work.

You should try getting a different bag that holds the laptop in a more ergonomic position perhaps so the weight is more evenly distributed. Reading your post though, it seems like you've made up your mind on wanting a lighter computer but just want confirmation that that is the "right decision" - but again, that's really a personal choice given your situation and requirements.

edit: Given that you have a gym membership and work out like you're at the jersey shore (you said it, not me!) you just might not be able to carry the weight considering your size and may have to settle for the air. I'd personally keep the laptop and allow your body to adjust to the weight over time.

I think this is really a really fair assessment.

Running doesn't build up muscles in your upper body specifically, but have you ever seen a dedicated female runner? You get strong, muscular legs, strong obliques for stability, and almost no body fat. It puts you in a certain kind of shape that can't be gotten in any other way. Your overall fitness is superior to weight lifters - but it's also not the way to develop strength specifically.

I may just get a backpack. I'll need it to carry books as well.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
She did say she goes to the gym? Read the thread...

People are pretty harsh here considering it's a forum about student deciding which of two incredibly well-designed laptops they are buying.... There are plenty of 90lb college students and the 1.5lb difference between a MBA and MBP is the difference between carrying 3% & 5% of bodyweight - not trivial.

I would advise most people to put up with the MBP's extra weight though because the MBA's battery life would be a pain for a student that might face multiple classes with no outlets in a day. Also with the MBA you would have to carry around the power adapter, which might not be necessary with the MBP. Or one could certainly buy a 21" iMac for home/dorm and a netbook for taking notes in class. Cost would be about the same as a MBA.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
I think this is really a really fair assessment.

Running doesn't build up muscles in your upper body specifically, but have you ever seen a dedicated female runner? You get strong, muscular legs, strong obliques for stability, and almost no body fat. It puts you in a certain kind of shape that can't be gotten in any other way. Your overall fitness is superior to weight lifters - but it's also not the way to develop strength specifically.

I may just get a backpack. I'll need it t carry books as well.

Running is great, no doubt. I wish I were as dedicated a runner as you are to be perfectly honest - it's an amazing way to get in shape and when combined with strength training (not weight lifting necessarily) you'll be in top physical condition! Women also aren't designed to build ridiculous amounts of muscle... that's just nature and there's nothing you can do about it (except go to unnecessary extremes to force your body to build unnatural muscle).

I think your best option is going to be a comfortable bag that you can use for all of your goodies. If you get one and fit it properly on your body, I guarantee it will distribute the weight so well you'll hardly notice it.

You might also investigate some type of a rolling book bag/cart type of a setup. Maybe a bag that you can wear on the bike and when you get off to walk, it has a handle and wheels so you can cart it behind you. This was very popular with girls back in the day (those text books are no joke).

People are pretty harsh here considering it's a forum about student deciding which of two incredibly well-designed laptops they are buying.... There are plenty of 90lb college students and the 1.5lb difference between a MBA and MBP is the difference between carrying 3% & 5% of bodyweight - not trivial.
I think for many of us, myself included, it is difficult to imagine what it would be like to be 90 lbs so it is much easier for us to think "1.5 lbs? are you joking? that's nothing!" when in fact, it really is a substantial percentage for the particular individual. I agree with your points though that you gain so much from that 1.5 lbs it is worth it, especially if this is an all purpose machine (i.e. you don't have a dedicated home machine and a portable).

Gakboi

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
I have a gym subscription. I work out like I'm part of the cast of Jersey Shore. I'm sitting at the computer with my job 9 hours a day, and it's my favorite part of my day. I'm just a very skinny girl - 5.9 pounds is heavy for me to comfortably lug around all day.

Haha ok... I agree I'm in the same boat with the 9 hours sitting... try yoga it's really great for the strength you need.

Running will get you cardio fit but not necessarily strong. I used to suffer from many weakness injuries. I can run with the best amateurs both sprints and long but i always lacked core strength which led to many niggling injuries. Yoga sorted it right out. IMO this is the best long term solution to your complaint. After a few months of yoga you won't even realise you're carrying anything.

Nice bike btw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.