Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Mr9758
macrumors member

Boot into Disk Utility without install CD

I need to boot into Disk Utility to repair my OS X partition but don't have my Snow Leopard install disc with me. I tried using a Leopard disc from my previous computer but got a gray screen when I tried it. Is there a way to create a new CD that will allow me to access Disk Utility from startup?
Mr9758 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
kilowattradio
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kilowattradio Send a message via Yahoo to kilowattradio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr9758 View Post
I need to boot into Disk Utility to repair my OS X partition but don't have my Snow Leopard install disc with me. I tried using a Leopard disc from my previous computer but got a gray screen when I tried it. Is there a way to create a new CD that will allow me to access Disk Utility from startup?
Get your model #, serial number and iPhone and call Apple. They will send you a replacement DVD in the mail very quickly for $16.00 or Free if you have apple care. I just received a install disk for a 2003 Power Mac with no problems a few days ago.

kilowattradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Mr9758
macrumors member

That's good to know. Is there any more immediate solution such as loading Disk Utility on a flash drive or something like that?
Mr9758 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr9758 View Post
That's good to know. Is there any more immediate solution such as loading Disk Utility on a flash drive or something like that?
Not entirely sure about this, but if you by some chance have the dmg, you might be able to install OS X on a flash drive if its big enough. Again, not sure, but I think I may have read somewhere that someone did it.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5
larkost
macrumors 6502a

You don't "boot into Disk Utility", but rather boot into an OS, then use Disk Utility. Any bootable MacOS X disc will do, as long as that disc can boot the computer (discs older then the computer will not work, newer will).

But honestly, the chances are small that Disk Utility is going to fix the problem. It can only fix a number of minor issues with the directory structure, not anything that is file-related. You are probably going to need the appropriate installer DVD.
larkost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:50 PM   #6
dashcs
macrumors regular

Im assuming you want to click repair disk form the install discs on your internal HD.

You can just boot into single user mode and run the repair command.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

/sbin/fsck -fy

There is ZERO difference between the repair disk command from the install discs and the one used in single user mode
dashcs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X