Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imetazoa

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
bfe
Overview: The TUCH for iPhone 4 is a thin, leather sleeve that is meant to carry 2-4 credit cards, as well as your phone. The benefits of this sleeve over others are that you can charge your phone while the phone is still in the sleeve as well as hear your phone ring, thanks to the well placed cutouts. It sells for $25 prior to shipping.

Construction:
The sleeve is constructed out of a single piece of sturdy, but thin (1mm), leather and does NOT use glue or stitching. Although there is not glue or stitching, never once have I felt the case would come apart. The outside texture is smooth and the inside is described as “suede.” It is not micro-suede, so it probably won’t clean your screen, but it is soft enough not to scratch it. All the edges of the leather have been very neatly singed to prevent fraying. There are also speaker holes at the bottom that have been laser-etched in a perfectly symmetrical and clean manner. As of right now, it feels like the leather is breaking in very nicely.

Functionality: I am a girl who carries a very large wallet around with her in a very large purse. Sometimes, when I’m going to grab coffee etc, I just want to bring my I.D., a credit card and my phone. This, very obviously, puts these items in a convenient little package for me to grab and go. The sleeve easily fits 2 credit cards. TuchMade expresses that overtime the leather will stretch and you can fit up to 4 credit cards comfortably. I have had the sleeve for 5 days now. I can easily put in 3 credit cards and a bill or two, but it is hard to remove the phone if I do so, w/out removing the third credit card first. Since I often only need 2 cards, this is not an issue for me.

The most unexpectedly useful function that I absolutely LOVE about this sleeve is that I can charge the phone w/out removing the phone. I do not have a dock (my guess is it wouldn’t fit in a dock) but instead use the generic cord. Often times I put my phone someplace that is potentially hazardous while it’s charging (i.e. the floor of my living room). Thanks to the TUCH sleeve I am now confident that during charging, my phone is safe from being scratched by our out-of-control, iPhone-loving cats.

Colors:
They offer two colors, Naked and Obsidian (black). The Naked will supposedly darken overtime and develop a nice patina. In the past they have featured special edition colors for their iPhone 3G sleeves. I imagine they will do the same in the future for their iPhone 4 cases.

Company:
The Company initially started selling its products on http://www.etsy.com (a craft website) and is based out of Spokane, Washington. They have recently launched their own website (http://www.tuchmade.com) where they sell other sleeves/cases for different mac products.

If people are interested in seeing a video review, let me know :)

lv082.jpg

lv074.jpg

lv075.jpg

lv077.jpg

lv081.jpg

lv080.jpg

lv079.jpg

lv083.jpg

Here are pictures of the black:

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Not a bad idea with the credit card holder.

And a nice looking pouch holder... If they only had black :p

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Nice review! Is the phone fit tight? From what I see it doesn't seem like it or maybe the opening is just larger. I would've gotten this but I ended up just getting a dedicated card-holder and a suede jacket cuz I was too impatient for a review of this product lol.

Also how thick is the whole getup (your iPhone + cards, etc.)? Could you measure it if it isn't too troublesome :) ?

imetazoa

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
bfe
Nice review! Is the phone fit tight? From what I see it doesn't seem like it or maybe the opening is just larger. I would've gotten this but I ended up just getting a dedicated card-holder and a suede jacket cuz I was too impatient for a review of this product lol.

Also how thick is the whole getup (your iPhone + cards, etc.)? Could you measure it if it isn't too troublesome :) ?

Thanks!

It's a perfectly snug fit (w/ two cards). If I hold the sides of the case upside down the phone does not fall out... even after some shaking. With two cards it measures 1.5 cm (~1 2/8 inches)

Hakushox

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Nice concept but that case is ugly to me. It does look like it's made out of a nice quality leather though.

reservedegotist

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
Thanks!

It's a perfectly snug fit (w/ two cards). If I hold the sides of the case upside down the phone does not fall out... even after some shaking. With two cards it measures 1.5 cm (~1 2/8 inches)

Only 2 cards? Thank goodness I got a card-holder then :D
But since you have a purse as well, I can see how this is super useful. And 15mm...not too bad, slightly less than twice the iPhone's thickness.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Soo getting that black one!

Forget the wallet when I'm buying coffee.... Just take the Starbucks prepaid card and my phone and I'm good to go!

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
I've been talking with the owner for quite some time now (after finding his little shop on Etsy a while back). He's a very nice guy and loves what he does. He said for the past year he's been making small iterations with the cases (half a millimeter changes with his laser cuts) to get things perfect. So there is this great mix of technology and art. I just ordered the obsidian case from him and can't wait to get it! I'll post some pictures when I finally receive it and tell you how it is for me.

imetazoa

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
bfe
will they be making one that supports the bumper?

well from how lilmitchmitch is describing the designer, it sounds like you might be able to contact him and make a request for such a thing.

@lilmitchmitch i would have to say that it is pretty amazing how well it fits the phone... so i'm not surprised it took a LOT of tweaking.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
I got kinda lucky being able to talk with him so much. He's been getting so much business after having his cases on uncrate.com and some other review sites. I know he's looking to make some more products, but I'm not sure he'll make one to fit the bumper. He originally looked at the Sena Ultraslim case before deciding to make his own. He liked the fact that he could have his iPhone "naked" while being able to protect it in his pocket, etc., but wanted something that incorporated a wallet.

I received mine today and I like it a lot. The phone fits very snug, but you have to have cards in it. The way the case is designed, the void that your credit cards/IDs fill make the case form tighter around the phone. Currently I have my CC, university ID, license and some cash - and the fit is awesome. The leather seems to be great quality and he said over time it only gets better. I'd encourage everyone to at least check it out - http://www.tuchmade.com

4795056552_29b924e47e_b.jpg
4794423449_5385fdc548_b.jpg
4794423149_ce1f18ae89_b.jpg
4794422909_e36728784b_b.jpg
4794422657_d3cea7877b_b.jpg

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
ask him if hes willing to do a half price sell for MR members.. i have so many of these type of cases for my 3gs but havent figure out which to get for my iphone 4

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
The pics of the black look so much better. I'm sold now. :). I might even get a matching one for my iPad.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
ask him if hes willing to do a half price sell for MR members.. i have so many of these type of cases for my 3gs but havent figure out which to get for my iphone 4

I kind of like black one. Is any promotion/discount out there?

He just started up this little business within the past month - he used to operate through Etsy.com. So, I don't think there are really any promotions going on, but you could always e-mail him sales@tuchmade.com or support@tuchmade.com.

The pics of the black look so much better. I'm sold now. :). I might even get a matching one for my iPad.

Nice! He's been working night and day with about 2 hours of sleep lately! The high level of interest/orders he's been getting is what has been giving him the energy to continue to make them.

the black looks beautiful. i kinda want to buy a black one too :) my naked one is already starting to patina a little... but i'm excited for when it will look like this: -snip-

Sweet! The satchel continues to grow on me and I'm getting closer and closer to buying one... but he said he's coming out with more of a backpack, so I'm going to wait to see what that looks like.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had to get one myself after thinking that I just need a card holder these days. So, why not get one with an iPhone case?

imetazoa

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
bfe
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had to get one myself after thinking that I just need a card holder these days. So, why not get one with an iPhone case?

did you order one? the guy who makes them has been backed up with orders.

mine is breaking in reeaally nicely. the only downfall to the naked color is that dark denim bleeds onto it. other than that, i still love mine!! i'll post pictures soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.