Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Hi all,

I want to know where to find the icons that are shown in my menubar for the non-generic icons. So for instance, i know the pre-installed menu bar icons are located in System/Library/CoreServices/MenuExtras -- > then they are the .pdf files inside each of the individual .menu files.

For the other apps I install that show up in the menubar such as growl, evernote, dropbox, istat nano...etc they do NOT show up in that directory though. Do they have their own .menu files or do they just have an icon for the menubar. If so, which one, and where are these files located.

If you have any questions about clarifying, please ask!!

Thanks,

Alex

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
Find the application (or in the case of stuff like Growl, which is a preference pane, the .prefrencepane file at ~/Library/PreferencePanes, or /Library/PreferencePanes) right click, choose “Show Package Contents” then go to Contents -> Resources. There’s a chance they’re in there. At the very least, they are for Dropbox...hope that helps.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Almost there...

so for some applications like drop box and divvy, they are in the application --> show package contents --> resources folder but not for many.

Some examples of those apps that don't have the menu bar icon in the resources folder are:

Evernote
isolator
growl (nor can i find it in the preference pane)
istat

If they aren't in the resources or preference pane file though I can't imagine where they would be.

Anybody else have a suggestion/know?

Thanks again,

Alex

fivepixels

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2019
9 years down, any luck yet?

been a long time, anybody know a solution yet?

Anybody coming across this thread looking for DEFAULT macOS menu bar icons:

I managed to find some of the menu bar icons held within /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/. View the Package Contents of a Specific related framework and look for an Assets.car file - you can open it with ThemeEngine.

I was able to find all of the WiFi icons in /⁨System⁩/⁨Library/⁨PrivateFrameworks⁩/⁨CoreWLANKit.framework/Resources*/

*it's an alias, I know.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.