Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hello Everyone-

I bought an iPhone 3GS 32GB on ebay after the iPhone 4 came out and prices went down.
I currently use an iPhone 3G with T-Mobile. (I got it in europe)
I was hoping to replace it with this 3GS.

The iphone is running iOS 4, has the newest baseband (to my knowlege) and is currently activated and at the home screen. As far as I know it has never been JB'ken or unlocked.

My question is, can I unlock the phone? Or should I give it to one of my freinds with AT&T? (I'm very sorry and I know this has probably been asked a billion times before...)

I've used PWNage Tool on my first iPhone, and that does not work for this one. After putting it in DFU mode the restore fails with error 1600...

I've tried looking for a guide or something to help me with this but so far as to no luck...

Also. What about sites like http://www.unlock-the-iphone.com/ ?
Are they genuine, or will I never see my money or an unlock again?

Thank you very much for your help. :)

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
3GS needs to be previously jailbroken for you to jailbrake iOS 4.0. U must need to wait until they release new tools.

How long do you think it will be. Is there anything impending, as in any news that anyone knows of, (I.e. it is getting close, almost here, far away, ect.)

Thanks!

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I think they are waiting on the Giant :)apple:) to release iOS4.01.

Not to be a butt, but have they actually said that or is that just community collective assumed knowledge? I would assume the same thing for many different reasons - but have they said that yet?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Not to be a butt, but have they actually said that or is that just community collective assumed knowledge? I would assume the same thing for many different reasons - but have they said that yet?

I have not read a single thing from @comex saying he is waiting for Apple to drop an update before he lets go of his userland jailbreak for 4.0.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I have not read a single thing from @comex saying he is waiting for Apple to drop an update before he lets go of his userland jailbreak for 4.0.

That's what I thought. So we actually really don't know when they would drop it since they haven't said what they would do. I find it funny that even though I agree w/ the assumption that they will drop it after 4.0.1 that we all assume that's actual fact.

Thanks for the reply,

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hmm. So in everyone's opionion, would it be better to resell the phone and keep using my 3G, or just hold out for the unlock?

Right now all I have is a very expensive iPod Touch.

chp1990

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
California
Use TinyUmbrella to check if any SHSH hashes are on file for any 3.x iOS version. If you're lucky, at least one will be on file. Then, restore that particular version, jailbreak, and then upgrade (if you want) back to iOS 4 pre-jailbroken.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Use TinyUmbrella to check if any SHSH hashes are on file for any 3.x iOS version. If you're lucky, at least one will be on file. Then, restore that particular version, jailbreak, and then upgrade (if you want) back to iOS 4 pre-jailbroken.

How would I check to see if any are on file? Attached is what I see when my 3GS is connected to Tiny Umbrella. From what I can guess, it does not look like I have any.

Would it be possible for anyone to email me the SHSH Hashes/Blobs, or does it only work on the phone it was saved on? I have the White 3GS 32GB with the 5.13.04 baseband if that helps in any way.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 3.29.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 3.29.20 PM.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 3.29.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-07 at 3.29.04 PM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 35

chp1990

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
California
How would I check to see if any are on file? Attached is what I see when my 3GS is connected to Tiny Umbrella. From what I can guess, it does not look like I have any.

Would it be possible for anyone to email me the SHSH Hashes/Blobs, or does it only work on the phone it was saved on? I have the White 3GS 32GB with the 5.13.04 baseband if that helps in any way.

Thanks!

You need to use the Advanced option and check each of the different iOS versions. (3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
If this helps...

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01
----

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.