Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eat me

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
London
Just pulled the trigger on 27" i5. Took the refurb option, so it came out just £1 more expensive than the base 27" C2D, and 15% cheaper (£255) than the new i5.

I figured, even if the updates will come, I will probably be safeguarded in the knowing that I god i5 for the base price anyway. Sure, it's not in a shiny box, but I'm ok with that. Will get my iPhone 4 in a shiny box, once the white version will hit the floor. The only regret will probably be the graphics card, and that's a big one for any user like me (moving from a PC, no more gaming *sigh*), but I managed to persuade myself that it's good for me - more time to do some work.

Hopefully will arrive with no problems. :rolleyes:

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I just sold my Core 2 Duo 27" iMac and I'm most likely going to buy the refurb i7....just waiting to see the new update (which might bring the refurb price down a bit)

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Just pulled the trigger on 27" i5. Took the refurb option, so it came out just £1 more expensive than the base 27" C2D, and 15% cheaper (£255) than the new i5.

I figured, even if the updates will come, I will probably be safeguarded in the knowing that I god i5 for the base price anyway. Sure, it's not in a shiny box, but I'm ok with that. Will get my iPhone 4 in a shiny box, once the white version will hit the floor. The only regret will probably be the graphics card, and that's a big one for any user like me (moving from a PC, no more gaming *sigh*), but I managed to persuade myself that it's good for me - more time to do some work.

Hopefully will arrive with no problems. :rolleyes:

hehe--- yeah I'm right there with ya. Waiting can be brutal for anything in life I did the same this morning! :)

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Don't despair. You could probably still run all your favorite and new games. Maybe not at amazing resolutions or framerates but they can still be playable and enjoyable.

Many games are now natively on Mac and you can always partition away 100 or 200 gigs for bootcamp to get the full Windows gaming experience for the rest.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
I just sold my Core 2 Duo 27" iMac and I'm most likely going to buy the refurb i7....just waiting to see the new update (which might bring the refurb price down a bit)

refurb prices usually don't drop until the current models start showing up as refurbs. Might be a long wait

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
NOOOO! Why Why! :'(

hah-- well I've been waiting since Mid-April and it's nearing the release of StarCraft 2 (July 27th) and if a new model does come out due to "demand" I may not get it in time so it was sort of a "need" to order now and it will still meet my expectations just won't have as good of a resale value. Technically though I could have waited an additional week.

I won't have any huge regrets with it but now I'm locked in for 2 years with this model so hopefully it ages well! :)

Fallenman

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
I'm so jealous. I've committed myself to the wait and it's killing me.
But I'm also going to keep checking to see if you post how much you love it.

Why do I do this to myself?

eat me

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
London
Don't despair. You could probably still run all your favorite and new games. Maybe not at amazing resolutions or framerates but they can still be playable and enjoyable.

Many games are now natively on Mac and you can always partition away 100 or 200 gigs for bootcamp to get the full Windows gaming experience for the rest.

You think? I kind of figured with 2560x1440 resolution that poor old little ATI that's stuck in there will choke. I hope I'm wrong.

eat me

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
London
I'm so jealous. I've committed myself to the wait and it's killing me.
But I'm also going to keep checking to see if you post how much you love it.

Why do I do this to myself?

I'll try to report back as soon as I'll finish my transfer.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
refurb prices usually don't drop until the current models start showing up as refurbs. Might be a long wait

It's all good, I might just pull the trigger on a new high end iMac when they get updated (if they do it before the end of the free iPod promotion)

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
You think? I kind of figured with 2560x1440 resolution that poor old little ATI that's stuck in there will choke. I hope I'm wrong.

If you tone it down to 1080p as someone said or 1280x720 or something, it will still look alright and playable (even if not as gorgeous as it otherwise would).

Just because the native resolution of the display, where it looks best, is 2560x1440 does not mean you have to play all your games at that resolution.

Also, you can always tone down any extra graphics options for special effects to improve the frame rate even at the high resolutions.

Like I said, all games will still look okay and be perfectly playable, you just may not be able to max out their settings or beauty. As long as you accept that you'll be good.

No worries and you certainly do not have to "give up" gaming if you really enjoy it.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
hah-- well I've been waiting since Mid-April and it's nearing the release of StarCraft 2 (July 27th) and if a new model does come out due to "demand" I may not get it in time so it was sort of a "need" to order now and it will still meet my expectations just won't have as good of a resale value. Technically though I could have waited an additional week.

I won't have any huge regrets with it but now I'm locked in for 2 years with this model so hopefully it ages well! :)

You could of waited just one more week, but I hope you have fun with your new iMac, don't forget that unboxing video :). As for me I'm saving my virginity for the new iMac unless it doesn't get updated this year.

Kallel00

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Seriously, the 27 Imac is awesome because of its screen, and the i5/i7 processor can easily handle anything an hobbyist/prosumer will want to use (mainstream applications, photo applications, video applications).

For gaming you can either do bootcamp Windows 7, or even better, buy a moderm PC with top-end graphics card & use Imac for its screen while you're gaming.

Personally, I find myself switching between Mac & PC back and forth often, so Im toying with the idea of purchasing an affordable gaming PC.

No need to wait for a refresh really. Im glad I bought mine 4 months ago ;)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I really really REALLY can never understand this

If iMacs and OSX are so great. why would anyone ever wish to switch into Windows Mode?

Why would Apple even allow it?

If Windows mode offers Mac users something the Mac (OSX) can't offer, then would it not be the natural thing to change/enhance OSX so it can offer the same?

It's like Admitting your product is not as good or can't do things your competitor can do.

Can't understand it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If iMacs and OSX are so great. why would anyone ever wish to switch into Windows Mode?
There are applications that some people need that don't have Mac versions. It's really not that hard to understand.
It's like Admitting your product is not as good or can't do things your competitor can do.
No, it's not. If there's no Mac version of an app that you need, running in Windows is the only option.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
There are applications that some people need that don't have Mac versions. It's really not that hard to understand.

No, it's not. If there's no Mac version of an app that you need, running in Windows is the only option.

I assume we are talking about small apps as the BIG MAJOR apps come in both versions.

To be honest, if Apple are worth Millions/Billions then why not pay the developer to create a mac version that runs under OSX so users don't have to load up windows?

tonyGriggs

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
I assume we are talking about small apps as the BIG MAJOR apps come in both versions.

I wouldn't call the Unreal Development Kit a small app.

And, unfortunately, there are several high-end 3D packages that, while they run on the Mac, can be more stable in Windows. In these cases it feels as though the developer ported the package as an afterthought.

--
tG

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

To be honest, if Apple are worth Millions/Billions then why not pay the developer to create a mac version that runs under OSX so users don't have to load up windows?

Not just "small apps", but significant industry apps such as AutoCAD still have no Mac equivalent. There are many examples of industry-specific apps that only run on Windows.

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009

Windows 7 seem quite decent, not too much complains. So maybe it is not such a disaster to run MS OS as it used to be?

Tom B.

I really really REALLY can never understand this

Why would Apple even allow it?

If Windows mode offers Mac users something the Mac (OSX) can't offer, then would it not be the natural thing to change/enhance OSX so it can offer the same?

Can't understand it.

quite simple really for peope that want to go mac but work alot on windows its gives them the best of both worlds, also encourages switchers who can use the machine for both and easily make the transition. also why use two machines to do the work of two when one mac can do both :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.