Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:02 AM   #1
drewdle
macrumors regular

YouTube on Elderly Macs

I noticed this subject comes up a lot, from people complaining about the speed/performance of YouTube and Flash to people switching to newer hardware just because of issues with embedded Flash. I thought I'd offer a few tricks as I'm not sure if everyone know them.

First trick: http://www.m.youtube.com/

This is the mobile YouTube website. It's used primarily by mobile devices with QuickTime support, largely iPhone/iPod Touch users although I wouldn't be surprised if there are other uses for it. Anyways, it's become my primary method for accessing the site. All the videos are QT format, and most are available in Standard and High quality, although even High is only about 320x240 resolution. If you don't have any third party programs set up, the videos will launch QT Player and stream through there. For reference, my iBook can play back the High Quality setting, so just about anything that runs OS X should be able to handle this. It's also a good option for anyone without modern browser support (so if you're running Panther or earlier).

Second Trick: http://clicktoflash.com/

This little plugin only works in Safari 3 and 4, but it prevents all rogue Flash portals from loading. So this includes everything, including primary website content, but also includes ads, which are increasingly relying on Flash, slowing down the browsing experience significantly on older machines. If you need to use the Flash that the plugin is blocking, just click the place-marker, and it will load the applet.

Using both of these tricks, my iBook is a capable internet browser, if not all that quick. Also worth a mention because I didn't think about it until today, if you use the Zoom function in reverse, you can fit more on screen on resolution challenged Macs like the iBook. By zooming out one level below Normal, I get the same amount of content on screen as I would if I were using a 1024x768 screen (the Clamshell gets by with an 800x600).

Just thought I'd share! Sorry if this is old news.
iBook SE 466Mhz Graphite/576Mb RAM/160Gb/10.4.11
drewdle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 03:35 AM   #2
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

clicktoflash works in safari 5 too ,best program ever to get rid of this nuisance flashplayer

and there is the html5 site from youtube
http://www.youtube.com/ht

and for all who use tiger on old g3 Mac's : Dashboard is using vital ram and vram so disable it and free up some ram

http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/disable-dashboard/

or for the people no confident in using terminal just in case they are worried to mess something up thers also a programm called
dashboardkiller
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...ashboardkiller

also spotlight can use a lot of your systems performance you can disable that as well in tiger and leopard
http://www.technipages.com/os-x-leop...spotlight.html

Last edited by MacHamster68; Jul 7, 2010 at 04:03 AM.
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 05:45 AM   #3
bizzle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdle View Post
Second Trick: http://clicktoflash.com/

This little plugin only works in Safari 3 and 4, but it prevents all rogue Flash portals from loading. So this includes everything, including primary website content, but also includes ads, which are increasingly relying on Flash, slowing down the browsing experience significantly on older machines. If you need to use the Flash that the plugin is blocking, just click the place-marker, and it will load the applet.
Works fine with Safari 5 for me.
Thumb resize.

Last edited by Nermal; Jul 8, 2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: thumbnail
bizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:35 AM   #4
drewdle
macrumors regular

Thanks for the other tips, guys. I wouldn't think of disabling Spotlight, as I use it as a little command prompt for launching programs, essentially. Dashboard, on the other hand... I could disable it, as all I use is the weather widget and iStat Pro, but I think I'd prefer that to Activity Monitor. The system itself seems to perform well enough, it's just crippled by the speed of HD access.

Indeed, Safari 5 does work with ClickToFlash. HTML under Safari 5 is a recommendation for anyone running Leopard, as it was the only way I got the iMac to run YouTube videos without dropping frames, but the HTML5 rendering is much slower in 4, and that aside, I don't think any G3 has the chutzpah for the full YouTube, HTML5 or not.
iBook SE 466Mhz Graphite/576Mb RAM/160Gb/10.4.11
drewdle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:57 AM   #5
MacinDan
macrumors regular

You can add "&fmt=5" or "&fmt=34" (without quotes) to the end of the Youtube video's page url to vary the quality settings. &fmt=5 for instance gives you a fairly pixelated picture, but it gives you stutter free playback on pretty low end hardware.

Also, MacTubes works well. It's an application that lets you set Quicktime for playback and also has playlist and download features.
MacinDan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:08 AM   #6
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

What i don't understand, is if Mac OS 10 is sooooo advanced, then why does flash run so terribly? Windows 7, Vista, and XP never had a problem. Im not bashing Mac, as i love my Mac OS Tiger im, compared to my w7 on my PC (Which i have to say is the best release of windows yet).
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:12 AM   #7
slpdLoad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywayne3295 View Post
What i don't understand, is if Mac OS 10 is sooooo advanced, then why does flash run so terribly? Windows 7, Vista, and XP never had a problem. Im not bashing Mac, as i love my Mac OS Tiger im, compared to my w7 on my PC (Which i have to say is the best release of windows yet).
Largely has to do with graphics card hardware acceleration, Adobe and Apple have both put out statements about their relationships and pointing fingers about who is to blame. 10.1 was a decent jump in performance for some configurations.

Regarding YouTube, what about using the HTML 5 version?
slpdLoad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:25 AM   #8
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

True, it must be the GPU. But then again my PC with a GMA G3100 and my Laptop with a GMA 915 streams video playback from youtube excelent, and if i recall, apple use to use them and now use nVidia which should be even better? Anyhow HTML5 on my eMac is close to flawless, however it drops frames here and there consistantly. Also i notice some days flash 10 works great in firefox then stops, same with safari. BTW the poster above is genius, i tried the MacTubes and set it to use Quick time and its Flawless no skips what so ever, system remains fast, able to do serious multitasking and full screen is a breeze! anyone with a PPC should get MacTubes, its as if your mac is as good as new one!

You know, another thing, why dont they just use Quicktime? its availible for windows and Linux, cleaner, nicer, why not just use it?

Last edited by 76ShovelHead; Jul 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
76ShovelHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:14 AM   #9
brassguy98
macrumors newbie

I have a couple of older G4 powerbooks, an 867 12 inch and an 800 Titanium 15 inch. I use them mostly to play solitaire and chess, occasionally iTunes or for working outside on the porch. I downloaded a newer browser called Camino. It's built on Mozilla and made specifically for the Mac. http://caminobrowser.org/ There is a setting in it's preferences to disable all Flash video. When you load a page with flash, it will show the flash icon, and then turn to a play button as you mouse over it if you choose to watch it. It's a great trick.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
12"PowerBook G4(867Mhz), 15" Titanium Powerbook G4(800Mhz), PowerMac G4-Dual 1.42, MacBook 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, MacBook Pro 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo
brassguy98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs