Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I'm contemplating bringing my phone back to the Apple store for an exchange but I'm worried that I'm going to get another phone with the same (reception) issues.

Just curious how many people here had phones with reception issues and exchanged them for phones with no (or minimal) issues....i.e. phones that don't suffer as much from the "grip of death".

Seems that there are a lot of people here claiming to have no issues so that leads me to believe that some phones are better than others when it comes to reception and the grip of death.

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I'm going back today after work at 6:40pm for my yellow photo issue and proximity issue thats driving me crazy. Just today I was in the middle of a call and it disconnected and dialed my voicemail. I went last week for the NO SIM issue and had it replaced so I hope the same thing happens. I was in Vegas and they seemed a lot friendlier than the one here in Dallas (Northpark and Southlake BLEH).

I really don't care anymore though as I'm truly tired of switching this thing out and will make it my last time if this next one has issues :(. I love this phone but my Jailbroke 3GS is still kicking and I can live without the facetime and new camera.

EDIT: I'll let you know how things go later tonight after I test out the phone or return it if they give me crap.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've swapped my phone 3 times already. All still have the same reception issue. However, after I purchased a case for mine (not a bumper). My reception issue went away and I'm at full bars 95% of the time. An issue I'm having is the construction quality of the phones. All 3 that I've had have had either dust, extra glue between the seems of the metal band or loose/wobbly buttons. All of course are cosmetic. I'm tired of swapping and will just keep my phone since it works perfectly.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I've swapped my phone 3 times already. All still have the same reception issue. However, after I purchased a case for mine (not a bumper). My reception issue went away and I'm at full bars 95% of the time. An issue I'm having is the construction quality of the phones. All 3 that I've had have had either dust, extra glue between the seems of the metal band or loose/wobbly buttons. All of course are cosmetic. I'm tired of swapping and will just keep my phone since it works perfectly.

Dust under the glass??

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Well, I cancelled my Genius appointment...hopefully later batches of the phone will be better.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Returned one that had _all_ the problems.

The bumper made a 10% improvement at best.

Given a new one in sealed retail box.
(not black box)

New one is perfect, without bumper.

How interesting? Very telling!

It gets even more interesting. Originally I bought three for the family. Each one had all the faults.

All three replacements are perfect... Bizarre

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008

(not black box)

It gets even more interesting. Originally I bought three for the family. Each one had all the faults.

Can you elaborate what are the faults? so we can check if we have the same faults. As far as mine, I have the reception issue. I doubt the replaced ones are any different so soon though

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

(not black box)

Could you tell us what weeks are your new phones were made? And do you remember what weeks your previous ones were?

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Just got back from genius bar...

I had my iP4 warranty exchanged for the yellow blotch problem. I really didn't want to do exchange and was hoping they'd tell me to give it a couple more weeks but they actually encouraged me to do the exchange because if it wasn't gone by now there might be some other issue with the screen. They did remind me that if I did the exchange I likely wouldn't be able to do a return. I did the exchange and my new iP4 is flawless! I LOVE it!!!! They did check it closely though as they seemed to be rather picky about doing the exchanges. There was a guy in front of me that was trying to get an exchange and was denied. Apparently the antenna issue doesn't qualify for an exchange where I went.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I had my iP4 warranty exchanged for the yellow blotch problem. I really didn't want to do exchange and was hoping they'd tell me to give it a couple more weeks but they actually encouraged me to do the exchange because if it wasn't gone by now there might be some other issue with the screen. They did remind me that if I did the exchange I likely wouldn't be able to do a return. I did the exchange and my new iP4 is flawless! I LOVE it!!!! They did check it closely though as they seemed to be rather picky about doing the exchanges. There was a guy in front of me that was trying to get an exchange and was denied. Apparently the antenna issue doesn't qualify for an exchange where I went.

I dont get it? If the phone you purchased on day 1 was flawed, and you get a second that is also flawed, why would this prevent someone from saying "the hell with it" and get their money back?

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Yes, I had dead pixels, signal issues, and a crappy white balance to my camera. Got a mystery black box replacement and it's perfect in every way. Couldn't be happier. :cool:

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Yes, I had dead pixels, signal issues, and a crappy white balance to my camera. Got a mystery black box replacement and it's perfect in every way. Couldn't be happier. :cool:

I hope that's gonna be the case for the one I'm getting, they had to order one but they said it's going to be there in a few days. I really want a perfect phone

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Misinformation is so rampant in threads like this. The reception issue is built into the design of the phone. Anyone who denies this doesn't know what they are talking about.

All of these exchanges are pointless unless your phone is actually exhibiting a physical manufacturing flaw. Such as dust under the screen.

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I returned my phone for a weird reddish discoloration in pics, something I haven't seen anyone else have a problem with. They exchanged the phone for me right away no problems - the tech could see the discoloration before he even took a test pic. I also had the no SIM problem but didn't bother mentioning because I knew the discoloration itself would be enough for an exchange.

My new phone is perfect *knock on wood*. No SIM issues, and the camera is amazing. I must have had a really crappy camera in the first one, cos this camera is so clear and crisp, no discoloration - I love it.

No reception issues with either phone.

Daddy Mac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I have the proximity sensor issue. Would I still be able to exchange after my first 30 days? Or does it have to be before the 30 days are up?

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I didn't say the second one was flawed.

I dont get it? If the phone you purchased on day 1 was flawed, and you get a second that is also flawed, why would this prevent someone from saying "the hell with it" and get their money back?

I said in my post that the second one was flawless. And as far as the antenna thing, thats a non-issue for me as I was planning to keep a case on it anyway so as it currently stands, I'm getting a much better signal reception than I did with my 3GS. Used to be that my signal would drop out completely in the garage but now, I'm actually able to hold a conversation without a drop, that, to me, is an improvement! If you don't like the antenna issue, just return the phone for a refund. No sense trying to do an exchange for another phone built the exact same way. As far as the exchange messing up your chance to do a return, I have no idea why that is an issue. As I don't plan to do a return I didn't question him about it.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I said in my post that the second one was flawless. And as far as the antenna thing, thats a non-issue for me as I was planning to keep a case on it anyway so as it currently stands, I'm getting a much better signal reception than I did with my 3GS. Used to be that my signal would drop out completely in the garage but now, I'm actually able to hold a conversation without a drop, that, to me, is an improvement! If you don't like the antenna issue, just return the phone for a refund. No sense trying to do an exchange for another phone built the exact same way. As far as the exchange messing up your chance to do a return, I have no idea why that is an issue. As I don't plan to do a return I didn't question him about it.

I was speaking hypothetically

EngenZerO

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Denver, CO
my first iphone had a cluster of dead pixels in the upper left corner... went to the apple store and they gave me a retail exchange due to if i wanted to return phone in 30 days...

second iphone had a dead pixel, dust under screen, and loose home button... went to the apple store once again and they gave me another retail exchange due to if i wanted to return the phone in 30 days...

third iphone is so far g2g.... knock on wood...

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I actually ended up with two i4's on launch day, due to the website issues. I kept one and returned the other to the AT&T store with my friend in tow, who turned around and bought it. His has been problem free since opening it. My original one had an issue with the microphone during movie recording and Facetime calls....it would barely register any sounds at all. So I took that one back to the Apple store the Saturday after launch day and they exchanged it for a new one. At that time, they had no refurbs, just unused units to use as replacements.

Thus far, this replacement has been problem-free. No reception issues that are impacting my QOS, screen is flawless, sound is great, no proximity sensor issues I've yet encountered (although I usually use mine with a headset), etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.