Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 7, 2010, 01:54 PM   #1
ilonkapav
macrumors newbie

can not log into my routers homepage from iMac

Hi! I have iMac Mac OS X 10.5.8 Recently have ordered wireless router from my internet provider (Virgin media). But could not set up the router because my computer failed to log into routers homepage (this kind of address 192.168.1.1) I had to borrow my friend's Windows laptop to set up the network. On the Windows i've done it within seconds. Now, when everything is set up and I can connect to the internet wirelessly from my iMac, I still can not access my router's homepage. Safari says - Safari can’t open the page “http://www.192.168.1.1/” because Safari can’t find the server “www.192.168.1.1”
Anyone knows where the problem is?

Thanks!
ilonkapav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
decksnap
macrumors 68030

Are you using a slightly older version of Safari? There was an issue where Safari couldn't log in to certain routers, which has since been fixed. You could test this by trying it in Firefox or Chrome, or updating your Safari to the latest version.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
spinnerlys

Have you tried connecting to the router via wire or via air?

Maybe try the opposite of what you have done. Via wire has been working for me most of the time, when I tried to connect to my router.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Roric
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilonkapav View Post
Safari says - Safari can’t open the page “http://www.192.168.1.1/” because Safari can’t find the server “www.192.168.1.1”
How about trying http://192.168.1.1 and leave off the 'www' part?
Roric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:10 PM   #5
ilonkapav
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by decksnap View Post
Are you using a slightly older version of Safari? There was an issue where Safari couldn't log in to certain routers, which has since been fixed. You could test this by trying it in Firefox or Chrome, or updating your Safari to the latest version.
I had safari Version 5.0 (5533.16) pre-installed with my iMac, and regularly updating it (automatically computer does it for me). Will try to find the latest version. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
Have you tried connecting to the router via wire or via air?

Maybe try the opposite of what you have done. Via wire has been working for me most of the time, when I tried to connect to my router.
yes, i have tried to connect via ethernet wire, still the same.... the computer will see the router, but will not log into it's homepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roric View Post
How about trying http://192.168.1.1 and leave off the 'www' part?
this is what i did, but computer will automatically add www. in the front

Last edited by ergdegdeg; Jul 8, 2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: please avoid consecutive posts by using "edit" or "multiquote"
Old Jul 7, 2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Makosuke
macrumors 603

I believe Safari will add a www. if it can't find an address, but I wouldn't expect it to do that with an IP address under any circumstances, and I've never had it do that to me. (Indeed, I just checked, and it doesn't.)

Just to confirm something, try opening up System Preferences -> Network and selecting whichever connection you are connected via.

What do the "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" entries say? (If the IP address doesn't start with 192.168, you needn't post the last two sets of numbers on it if you're worried about security for any reason.)

You already have the latest version of Safari, but you also hadn't said if you'd tried downloading Firefox or Camino and trying one of those--it'd only take a moment, and that would narrow it down considerably if something other than Safari works.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:40 AM   #7
ilonkapav
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makosuke View Post
but you also hadn't said if you'd tried downloading Firefox or Camino and trying one of those--it'd only take a moment, and that would narrow it down considerably if something other than Safari works.
no mate, i have not tried any other browsers than Safari.... it is good idea to try, i agree. will try to find something free to download. thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 06:44 AM   #8
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
(If the IP address doesn't start with 192.168, you needn't post the last two sets of numbers on it if you're worried about security for any reason.)
Doesn't matter. Addresses that begin with 192.168.*.* are private addresses, not public.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:37 AM   #9
psxguru
macrumors 6502a

What model is the router? VM supply a few different ones and they don't all use the same IP address for the admin page. eg the dlink ones use 192.168.0.1 by default
psxguru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:52 AM   #10
theITGuy
macrumors 6502a

Have u tried downloading Firefox and using that?

-J.-
theITGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Doesn't matter. Addresses that begin with 192.168.*.* are private addresses, not public.
That's why I said it wasn't necessary to post more than the first two blocks if it wasn't in the private space, since it wouldn't matter anyway at that point, while if it is in the private space it's not a security concern and necessary to see the other half to determine if it's in the same subnet. Maybe my double-negative wasn't clear.

You probably figured this out, but I'm trying to determine if the router is either giving the OP an IP address in a block other than expected (and different from the address in question), or if it's in bridge mode or otherwise passing an external address, which would of course explain why an internal address wouldn't respond.

I just spent an annoying amount of time configuring a bridged range extender due to an issue like this--when operating properly, the computer on its network would get an external IP address, but if it didn't work the default address of the device was on a different subnet.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
That's why I said it wasn't necessary to post more than the first two blocks if it wasn't in the private space, since it wouldn't matter anyway at that point, while if it is in the private space it's not a security concern and necessary to see the other half to determine if it's in the same subnet. Maybe my double-negative wasn't clear.
Oh, yeah sorry- I totally read that wrong.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help