Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilonkapav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Hi! I have iMac Mac OS X 10.5.8 Recently have ordered wireless router from my internet provider (Virgin media). But could not set up the router because my computer failed to log into routers homepage (this kind of address 192.168.1.1) I had to borrow my friend's Windows laptop to set up the network. On the Windows i've done it within seconds. Now, when everything is set up and I can connect to the internet wirelessly from my iMac, I still can not access my router's homepage. Safari says - Safari can’t open the page “http://www.192.168.1.1/” because Safari can’t find the server “http://www.192.168.1.1”
Anyone knows where the problem is?

Thanks!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Are you using a slightly older version of Safari? There was an issue where Safari couldn't log in to certain routers, which has since been fixed. You could test this by trying it in Firefox or Chrome, or updating your Safari to the latest version.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you tried connecting to the router via wire or via air?

Maybe try the opposite of what you have done. Via wire has been working for me most of the time, when I tried to connect to my router.

ilonkapav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Are you using a slightly older version of Safari? There was an issue where Safari couldn't log in to certain routers, which has since been fixed. You could test this by trying it in Firefox or Chrome, or updating your Safari to the latest version.

I had safari Version 5.0 (5533.16) pre-installed with my iMac, and regularly updating it (automatically computer does it for me). Will try to find the latest version. Thanks!!!

Have you tried connecting to the router via wire or via air?

Maybe try the opposite of what you have done. Via wire has been working for me most of the time, when I tried to connect to my router.

yes, i have tried to connect via ethernet wire, still the same.... the computer will see the router, but will not log into it's homepage

How about trying http://192.168.1.1 and leave off the 'www' part?

this is what i did, but computer will automatically add www. in the front

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I believe Safari will add a www. if it can't find an address, but I wouldn't expect it to do that with an IP address under any circumstances, and I've never had it do that to me. (Indeed, I just checked, and it doesn't.)

Just to confirm something, try opening up System Preferences -> Network and selecting whichever connection you are connected via.

What do the "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" entries say? (If the IP address doesn't start with 192.168, you needn't post the last two sets of numbers on it if you're worried about security for any reason.)

You already have the latest version of Safari, but you also hadn't said if you'd tried downloading Firefox or Camino and trying one of those--it'd only take a moment, and that would narrow it down considerably if something other than Safari works.

ilonkapav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
but you also hadn't said if you'd tried downloading Firefox or Camino and trying one of those--it'd only take a moment, and that would narrow it down considerably if something other than Safari works.

no mate, i have not tried any other browsers than Safari.... it is good idea to try, i agree. will try to find something free to download. thanks!

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
What model is the router? VM supply a few different ones and they don't all use the same IP address for the admin page. eg the dlink ones use 192.168.0.1 by default

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Doesn't matter. Addresses that begin with 192.168.*.* are private addresses, not public.
That's why I said it wasn't necessary to post more than the first two blocks if it wasn't in the private space, since it wouldn't matter anyway at that point, while if it is in the private space it's not a security concern and necessary to see the other half to determine if it's in the same subnet. Maybe my double-negative wasn't clear.

You probably figured this out, but I'm trying to determine if the router is either giving the OP an IP address in a block other than expected (and different from the address in question), or if it's in bridge mode or otherwise passing an external address, which would of course explain why an internal address wouldn't respond.

I just spent an annoying amount of time configuring a bridged range extender due to an issue like this--when operating properly, the computer on its network would get an external IP address, but if it didn't work the default address of the device was on a different subnet.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
That's why I said it wasn't necessary to post more than the first two blocks if it wasn't in the private space, since it wouldn't matter anyway at that point, while if it is in the private space it's not a security concern and necessary to see the other half to determine if it's in the same subnet. Maybe my double-negative wasn't clear.

Oh, yeah sorry- I totally read that wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.