Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XciteMe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Is there ANYTHING that can be done for the apps that haven't updated their icons for hi-res on iPhone 4???

App icons like Shazam and Bejeweled 2 look ugly and blurry now on iPhone 4 home screen.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Is there ANYTHING that can be done for the apps that haven't updated their icons for hi-res on iPhone 4???

App icons like Shazam and Bejeweled 2 look ugly and blurry now on iPhone 4 home screen.

personally, i think that apple should have had a deadline in place for the devs to make them retina compatible. its a shame so many great apps arent getting updated... it only makes the phone itself look bad.

siri was updated yesterday (4.0 tested) yet it does NOT have any 4.0 features to my understanding and the pixelation is horrible. makes NO sense at all especially since apple has bought them out.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
While I don't disagree that apps icons should be updated - I do think it's ridiculous to get "upset" or annoyed by it. Who really cares. Does the app not function as well because the ICON isn't as hi-res?

And it's very possible that the apps in question are still being reviewed by Apple. Or - I don't know - perhaps the developers are waiting to submit their new icon WITH some update rather than just submit it for an icon.

Then there's also the possibility that some developers don't want to spend money on quick turnaround or graphic design work for just an icon but want to include it budget-wise as part of a bigger update.

In any event - my suggestion as crude as it sounds - get over it.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Let's name and shame them:

• My O2
  • SignalSuite
  • Shazam
  • Convert
  • First aid (St John's Ambulance)
  • Uno
  • Monopoly
  • Sonic 1 (?)
  • X-Plane Airliner
  • Spotify
  • Tuner
  • TomTom

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Meh. It honestly doesn't really bother me... since I'm doing a lot of showing off my iP4 these days, I've pretty much moved the lower res icons into folders. I'll keep the apps I use most often out still but that's it.

I don't expect smaller niche apps like Codec Calc will be updated anytime soon, though I'm using it on a daily basis and keep it on my homescreen... boy does it stand out next to Billings and Yelp.

It'd be cool if the App store showed the high-res icons wherever they were applicable - app creators should know that there's a lot of us more inclined to by retina native apps right now... I imagine that once the iPhone 4 really hits the masses, developers will start seeing the incentive to update their apps.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I find it humorous that even Apples new "Apple Store" app isnt even updated yet either.

The icon is... but none of the photos or art inside is updated. It's a great app though. I used it to reserve my iPhone 4 when the website went down and have used it since to order a couple bumpers.

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
It's weird because I've noticed that some apps have a high-res icon when being downloaded and installed, then switch to a low-res one when complete. Download the myWireless app from AT&T, or remove it and download it again to see what I'm talking about. Watch the resolution change as soon as the app is finished installing. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.