Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tufflaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
NY
Thinking of upgrading my iPhone 3g to the 4 - I've seen the 4 and love it - my only concern is that there may be a new version coming out soon due to some of the problems that exist and I'll get screwed on it. Is that likely, or unlikely? If there's only a small chance of new hardware within the next several months I'll get the 4 now, otherwise might wait a bit to see. Sent Steve Jobs an e-mail asking but no reply :)

Thanks!

bcackerman

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
I've got the same question...

I found this diagram tho, so based on their past there won't be a new phone till next year.
go-iphone4-r4.jpg

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
Honestly, I'd wait. I bought mine on launch day, and I'm waiting for my genius appointment tomorrow when I switch mine out for a new one. If the new one still has the same issues, then I'm returning it and waiting it out myself. It's gonna suck really freaking bad because I love this thing, but this issue really is inexcusable. I can't help but think that they will resolve this though...some how.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Honestly, I'd wait. I bought mine on launch day, and I'm waiting for my genius appointment tomorrow when I switch mine out for a new one. If the new one still has the same issues, then I'm returning it and waiting it out myself. It's gonna suck really freaking bad because I love this thing, but this issue really is inexcusable. I can't help but think that they will resolve this though...some how.

what issues are you having?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Did you see anytime where they changed the hardware after initial release? I don't think so. Remember that the sooner you buy iPhone 4 the sooner you "qualify" for iPhone 5 :)

I got 4 iPhone 4's at launch and not having any serious problems. I expect a new release of iOS 4 soon to solve a few issues. The good definitely out weights any of the small problems.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Remember that the sooner you buy iPhone 4 the sooner you "qualify" for iPhone 5 :)
Hehe, but that doesn't matter if you're on the 2-year upgrade plan (we upgrade every other year). :D

Seriously, for us, a 32GB iPhone costs us around $500/ea after accessories and CA taxes (and this assumes the lowest upgrade price). For us, it's a bit hard to justify spending $500+/phone each year. (Yeah, I know we could sell it, but we don't do that.)

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
Did you see anytime where they changed the hardware after initial release? I don't think so. Remember that the sooner you buy iPhone 4 the sooner you "qualify" for iPhone 5 :)

I got 4 iPhone 4's at launch and not having any serious problems. I expect a new release of iOS 4 soon to solve a few issues. The good definitely out weights any of the small problems.

You're probably right, but how long did the 4GB model last? What I was thinking was a problem being quietly corrected during assembly. It's probably a long shot, but you never know.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
what issues are you having?

I'm having a Bluetooth connection problem. It disconnects, reconnects, disconnects...then all of a sudden, no problems...then they return. Also, I'm having the reception issue, but to the point where I'm dropping calls left & right. I'm probably beat and going to have to kick it with the bumpers...(which I was going to use anyway, so screw it)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Hehe, but that doesn't matter if you're on the 2-year upgrade plan (we upgrade every other year). :D

Seriously, for us, a 32GB iPhone costs us around $500/ea after accessories and CA taxes (and this assumes the lowest upgrade price). For us, it's a bit hard to justify spending $500+/phone each year. (Yeah, I know we could sell it, but we don't do that.)
I think most can get new every 18 months based on money spent on expensive iPhone. I am in CA with almost 10% tax. I think it is about $299 + about $60 tax (based on full value) so your $500 each may be a little high. There is also a $18 activation fee. For me It is paid by the company so I can't remember actual cost. Oh, just re-read the accessories part of your $500. Maybe then you are closer. I did order some docks and cases after about 1 week of getting the new phones. Face Time is pretty cool :)

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina

Do you mean you choose to upgrade every two years? You're eligible every 12 months with AT&T. What accessories do you buy? With 7.75% tax I got the 32GB 3GS and 4 for $322.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure that they will NOT have a full hardware redesign within the next month.

Fixed it for you.

No charge.

:^)

To the OP, go for it, but I'd highly recommend getting the bumper case. The antenna issue is real, but is "fixed" with the case.

I'm quite happy with the phone at this point. Yes, there are also some network issues that AT&T needs to work through and some bugs that Apple needs to fix, but they'll likely be worked out fairly soon.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Wait for what...?
My iPhone is perfect. No reception issues. To me if you don't buy a new Apple product within a month you're kinda screwed.
I'm waiting for the iPhone 6.. in the meantime I'm loving the 4.

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Do you mean you choose to upgrade every two years? You're eligible every 12 months with AT&T. What accessories do you buy? With 7.75% tax I got the 32GB 3GS and 4 for $322.

You aren't eligible ever 12 months. if that were true, why would ATT do the "oh so nice" thing of letting anyone whos' contract ended in 2010 to upgrade?

Tufflaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
NY
You aren't eligible ever 12 months. if that were true, why would ATT do the "oh so nice" thing of letting anyone whos' contract ended in 2010 to upgrade?

That's right - I've had my iPhone for over 2 years so I get to upgrade for $199. But when I put my wife's phone number in at the apple store to determine eligiblity (she's had the 3gs for about a year) it says she can't get the 199 upgrade until next year. That's definitely another consideration - if I upgrade now I can get the iPhone 6 :) in two years at the upgrade price.

Another consideration - if this Verizon thing really happens, I wonder if they'll offer a better deal then AT&T making it worth waiting until January. The 3g is just so damn SLOOOOOW compared to other ones it's driving me nuts.

smash1031

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2009
I'm having a Bluetooth connection problem. It disconnects, reconnects, disconnects...then all of a sudden, no problems...then they return. Also, I'm having the reception issue, but to the point where I'm dropping calls left & right. I'm probably beat and going to have to kick it with the bumpers...(which I was going to use anyway, so screw it)

I'm having the same issues with the Bluetooth. And I'm already sporting a bumper. Please update this thread after your visit to the genius.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina

Because not everyone upgraded last June. I upgraded in September of last year. If AT$T hadn't offered the six month early promo, then I would have had to wait until this September. I instead upgraded three months early, nine months after my last upgrade. I have been with AT&T/Cingular for almost five years and have always been eligible for an upgrade every 12 months.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Yup. :D I've love to upgrade every year, but that's a bit pricey for us. And so, we choose to upgrade every other year. So far, the year-to-year improvements, while very nice, haven't been "must-haves". On the other hand, two years' worth of differences are worth it (besides, next year, we should have a 64GB iPhone :cool: ).

For us, it's $299 + CA tax + $18 upgrade + $100 case w/shipping (Vaja case) + Power Support screen protector. Add in a little more tax, and it's around $500.

Tufflaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
NY
Thanks for all the great advice - decided to jump one one and ordered an hour ago from the local AT&T store. 7-10 day wait, which was less than the Apple Store said, so go figure. Hope I can get most of what I paid back by ebaying the 3g.

Alonzo84

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
North Carolina
Yup. :D I've love to upgrade every year, but that's a bit pricey for us. And so, we choose to upgrade every other year. So far, the year-to-year improvements, while very nice, haven't been "must-haves". On the other hand, two years' worth of differences are worth it (besides, next year, we should have a 64GB iPhone :cool: ).

For us, it's $299 + CA tax + $18 upgrade + $100 case w/shipping (Vaja case) + Power Support screen protector. Add in a little more tax, and it's around $500.

That must be quite the case:D And I'm not too sure about 64GB, but who knows what they will come up with.

crhudy1985

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
Everyone should definitely check to see if they are eligible for the upgrade because I bought my 3GS in August 2009 and I am available for upgrade at the subsidized cost (+ $18.00 fee). Before the iPhone 4 came out, my account said I was upgrade eligible January 1st, 2011.

rquick

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

Honestly, I'd go for it. I got mine on the day before launch day and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. I love it. My only problem was the order that got canceled by a glitch in Apple's system and we are still waiting on the replacement. What a runaround. I really thought Apple had more class. Sucker.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
That must be quite the case:D And I'm not too sure about 64GB, but who knows what they will come up with.

Hehe, cases are like ice cream flavors: not everyone likes the same flavor. :D

I think a 64GB iPhone is likely by then, if not sooner. IIRC, the 64GB chips already exist; it's just that the yield is currently too low and the prices are (probably) too high.

rquick

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Everyone should definitely check to see if they are eligible for the upgrade because I bought my 3GS in August 2009 and I am available for upgrade at the subsidized cost (+ $18.00 fee). Before the iPhone 4 came out, my account said I was upgrade eligible January 1st, 2011.

We got my wife's 3GS on launch day last year - June 19 - and her line won't be eligible for full discount until February 20 of next year. She is eligible for a smaller discount though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.