Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
It's called color calibration. The "screen" isn't yellow, it's being sold with that color profile on it. (iOS supports color profiles now BTW).

The screen is beautiful.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Thats the retina display :rolleyes:

Here we go with the iMac fiasco all over again. This is why buying in store > ordering

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
It's called color calibration. The "screen" isn't yellow, it's being sold with that color profile on it. (iOS supports color profiles now BTW).

The screen is beautiful.

Really? Where do you access that. That's pretty cool if true.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
He's being sarcastic!

What? No I'm not. Check the bottom left:

500x_iphone40software64.jpg

Also, it's not something you change on the phone (yet...)

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I have noticed that compared against my old 3GS and iPad that there's is a difference in hue.

I feel like the it goes

3GS-Cold
iPad-Cool
iPhone 4-Warm.

After playing with the brightness on all of them for w while I feel like the iPhone 4 may be the most color correct. I'm not sure.

I remember my original iPod touch was different from my iPhone 3G.

I think that maybe the hue is a lot cooler on the older devices because it helps the black level.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I am a photographer and I use a color calibrated monitor and make my own printer profiles. I'm sensitive to color and notice color casts right away.

The iPhone 4 display is more color accurate than the iPhone 3GS display. The 3GS' display was cooler, tending toward a (color inaccurate) blue color cast. Compared to the 3GS, the iPhone 4 display is warmer, which makes it look more yellow in direct comparison. But, trust me, the iPhone 4 display is the more color accurate. I've already viewed calibration images on my iPhone 4 display and compared them to the color on my calibrated Cinema Display, and calibrated prints.

The iPhone 4 has the most color accurate display Apple has put in an iPhone so far. It's not absolutely spot on perfect, but it's very close.

Your "yellow cast" is my "Thank God, they got it right!".

Mark

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
I am a photographer and I use a color calibrated monitor and make my own printer profiles. I'm sensitive to color and notice color casts right away.

The iPhone 4 display is more color accurate than the iPhone 3GS display. The 3GS' display was cooler, tending toward a (color inaccurate) blue color cast. Compared to the 3GS, the iPhone 4 display is warmer, which makes it look more yellow in direct comparison. But, trust me, the iPhone 4 display is the more color accurate. I've already viewed calibration images on my iPhone 4 display and compared them to the color on my calibrated Cinema Display, and calibrated prints.

The iPhone 4 has the most color accurate display Apple has put in an iPhone so far. It's not absolutely spot on perfect, but it's very close.

Your "yellow cast" is my "Thank God, they got it right!".

Mark

Hmm very interesting.

I noticed the same thing.

iPhone 3G = bluish hue
iPad = whitish hue
iPhone 4 = yellowish warm hue

I'll admit that the yellowish hue makes colors "pop"

pugple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
The new iphones have the warmer tones which are consider more natural/neutral. Much better than the cool/cold ones from the older iphone 2g/3g/3gs/ and ipad. It's like the difference in light bulbs, you can get warmer tinted ones or cooler tinted ones. I don't think this is a problem. It makes the colors more realistic.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
The iPhone 4 is pretty close in color to my professionally calibrated Pioneer plasma monitor. The blacks are also deeper than my previous iPhone as well, resulting in an overall improvement in picture quality. From a color accuracy standpoint, where the end result is a picture so natural it's like looking through a window, the iPhone 4 is very very good.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
iPhone 4 yellow hue warm tint to screen

Stood in line and got mine on opening day. It did not have the yellow spots but....

I was looking at the screen on my iPhone 4 in comparison to my 3GS that I gave to my wife.

It looked a little more warm or sorta had more of a yellow hue to the screen.

Last night after having it for a couple weeks now, I did a comparison of hers to mine using the blue background in the TOMTOM app and boy what a difference.

The 3GS looks really blue but my iPhone 4 looks more of a turquoise color.

I dont have the yellow blotches but it does have a more yellow or warm tint to it.

I then was in the Apple store today and sure enough, the demo ones on the counter dont look anything like mine. They look more like the 3GS did with a more bluish tint.

I would use the brightness and settings pages as a reference and set it to the same brightness as the ones in the store. The ones in the store for sure have a more white/bluish tint to them then mine does, and I looked at 7-10 units on demo.

Ill probably be returning it and hope I can get a new one and not a refurb.

Anyone know if there is a way to tell if its a refubished one other than the black box? Serial number differences???

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Mine too has the more yellowish warm hue to it than my iphone 3gs. It was purchased on the 24th

I was in the apple store today though and every one of the 7-10 iphone 4 phones in the store had the more bluish white tint to them.

I wonder why ours would look different than the ones in the store if you guys are saying the warmer color is more accurate?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Some people have weighed in that the 4's screen is more accurately calibrated than the unnaturally blue tint on previous phones. However, if you're not happy try to get it swapped. I personally don't notice it anymore.

tuatha

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Mine too has the more yellowish warm hue to it than my iphone 3gs. It was purchased on the 24th

I was in the apple store today though and every one of the 7-10 iphone 4 phones in the store had the more bluish white tint to them.

I wonder why ours would look different than the ones in the store if you guys are saying the warmer color is more accurate?

If I had to guess I'd say it's because they're talking out of their arses.

If some have the yellow tint and others don't, then something is clearly not right.

Given the issues apple have had with yellow screens in the past, my money is on defective screens.

Btw, I've seen pics and videos of yellow and regular ones side by side and the yellow tint definitely doesn't look more natural. It just looks more yellow (or green in some cases).

Replace it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
My first gen iPhone had the cool tone. My first gen iPod touch has the warm tone. My iPhone 4 has the warm tone too.

I don't mind either. I do like the blue look, but pix taken in shadows shows up better in the yellow.

Where I have been spoiled lately with iPhone 4's screen is the Retina display. My eyes got used to looking at websites without really having to pinch to zoom. It didn't blow me right away, but I have a hard time going to back to the older resolution now.

SmackP

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010

Did you put your iPhone along side those in the shop without the yellow tint?

It might be that the the lightening conditions and brightness reduce the visibility of the yellowy screen.

I still highly doubt that shop one have a blue tint like the 3GS.

I think ALL iPhones have yellow screens.

SmackP

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010

It might be that the the lightening conditions and brightness reduce the visibility of the yellowy screen.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009

It is not true that all iPhones have yellow screens. I have compared my old iPhone 4 to my brother's and friends' and theirs was much cooler in color compared to mine. I returned it and my current iphone4 screen is awesome. The colors doesn't look washed out.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I got the iPhone 4 on launch day and a couple of days ago got a replacement from my carrier because of the antenna issue. The original phone was otherwise perfect and the color balance seemed perfect too. The replacement phone however had a yellow tint that was immediately very noticeable and I didn't like it in comparison to my original at all. It seemed way too yellow and dulled things down. I've got to say though, that I've barely noticed the yellow tint since. I must have adapted to the change, either that or it's disappeared, but I think the former.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.