Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I think the sound is marginally richer. The speakerphone is a bit louder and clearer.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
By the way a large batch was released with only one working speaker. Be sure you aren't stuck with one of those.......

j/k

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've swapped my phone a couple times and noticed that some speakers were clearer and louder than others. My current one sounds great.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I mentioned this in another thread, but I find the speaker is louder when the phone is laying on a flat surface than my previous phone.

I think the flat back transfers vibration better. This may not be true if you use a case, though.

Test it and see what you think.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In my experience, the iPhone 4 speaker (compared to the iPhone 3GS) has less bass, clearer treble, sounds less distorted, and is slightly quieter.

Trust me, I'm a sound engineer :)

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
In my experience, the iPhone 4 speaker (compared to the iPhone 3GS) has less bass, clearer treble, sounds less distorted, and is slightly quieter.

Trust me, I'm a sound engineer :)

I wish you could hear my iPhone 4. It has the worst hiss. I mean very loud. We're discussing this on another board -- several of us have noticed this and posted. If we use the earbuds, it's gone.

If we record video or make a voice memo and play back on the iPhone, the hiss is there. If we use the earphones or send it to the computer, the hiss is gone.

My 3GS had a much better speaker. Now the question is, is this just some of the 4s? The other thread seemed to think it was all of them. It's easiest to find if you record a voice memo or record video in a quiet room first.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
The sound is a bit clearer and doesn't distort as easily as the previous speaker.

Also, they reversed the position of the speaker and mic - now the mic is on the left and speaker is on the right.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Very small increase in sound. The only reason I heard it is cause I played the same song at the same time on both 3GS and 4

Malig

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ok here's the real question: how is it compared to the original iphone? Because I'm still using it waiting for an iphone 4.. all I know is it sounds terrible due to distortions.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Ok here's the real question: how is it compared to the original iphone? Because I'm still using it waiting for an iphone 4.. all I know is it sounds terrible due to distortions.

The original iPhone had a quiet crappy speaker.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
1 is mic and the other one is speaker. Take a better look at the manual guide and tech spec plz

No, the iPhone 4 has 2 mics (1 noise canceling) and 2 speakers (1 speakerphone and 1 earpiece).:D Maybe you should take a better look at the manual and tech spec (or just look/listen to your iPhone).:eek:

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
iPhone 4 sound vs 3GS sound difference

My iPhone 4 sound is a bit different from the 3GS, especially when ringing or even more when I lock/unlock it. The sound is more metallic and it is like there a kind of echo or more treble...Not that it bothers me but I would be interested to hear other forumers if they noticed that difference with their iPhone 4 which would mean it is nothing abnormal but maybe speakers on the iP4 are coming from a different supplier/source or different specs...???

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
has anyone noticed that when you place a call via speaker phone the first initial ring is MUCH louder than the others? why cant the phone keep that volume level when turned up full blast?

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
has anyone noticed that when you place a call via speaker phone the first initial ring is MUCH louder than the others? why cant the phone keep that volume level when turned up full blast?

Did not notice - My initial ringtone volume is identical to the next one when i place a call via speakers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.