Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
What features are most important to you guys in purchasing a case or sleeve for your MacBook Pro's?

We are currently in the design, development and prototyping stages or creating sleeves specifically for the MacBook Pro line and what to know what exactly it is that you guys, as consumers are looking for.

One thing we're looking to do, is NOT utilize a zipper - or metal of any type. As users ourselves, we've experience scratched cases first hand, not traveling that route.

We're looking to launch, using some fantastic full-grain leathers that we've been fortunate enough to source given our vast experience in the footwear & apparel materials industry. I think you'd find the quality to equal that of some "designer" hand bag companies - with the added costs.

So.......lets have it.....what do you guys like.....and just as important - what do you not like?

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
The plush material on the inside of the incase sleeve is very nice. Its actually what made me pay the extra $$$ for the incase.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
For a sleeve:

1. Soft inside to prevent the inside from scratching laptop
2. Thick enough padding to prevent denting
3. Zipper protector to prevent zipper from scratching laptop

#3 is especially important. I know InCase has that Neoprene sleeve that has the zipper protector.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
The plush material on the inside of the incase sleeve is very nice. Its actually what made me pay the extra $$$ for the incase.

Absolutely, I think you'll be pleased with the choice of lining for these. We're putting as much though into the inside, as we are the outside. Apple takes great strides to make these MacBooks look like pieces of art, we'd like them to stay in that way :)

For a sleeve:

1. Soft inside to prevent the inside from scratching laptop
2. Thick enough padding to prevent denting
3. Zipper protector to prevent zipper from scratching laptop

#3 is especially important. I know InCase has that Neoprene sleeve that has the zipper protector.

We've never had solid results with zippers, for many reasons - possible scratching (regardless of protective barrier). The lack of available options that are zipperless is actually one of the reasons we've ventured into this.

Any objections into an open ended sleeve? Something in which you can quickly slide your MacBook in and out of?

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
Absolutely, I think you'll be pleased with the choice of lining for these. We're putting as much though into the inside, as we are the outside. Apple takes great strides to make these MacBooks look like pieces of art, we'd like them to stay in that way :)

We've never had solid results with zippers, for many reasons - possible scratching (regardless of protective barrier). The lack of available options that are zipperless is actually one of the reasons we've ventured into this.

Any objections into an open ended sleeve? Something in which you can quickly slide your MacBook in and out of?
Id love to see the finished product.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Id love to see the finished product.

We're working on it......still trying to decide if we're going to leave it an open ended sleeve or have a flap closure with velcro shut......

There are pros and cons to each.....We like the idea of the open ended sleeve for a couple of reasons. We feel that a vast majority of users slide their MacBooks into a backpack of sorts - we haven't found any circumstances to where anything would ever be packed on top of an open exposed end. We also like having one end exposed for the simple reason that is still leave access to the ports - be it is you need to charge overnight, have a USB or external display hooked up on a desktop......this type of thing.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA

We're working on it......still trying to decide if we're going to leave it an open ended sleeve or have a flap closure with velcro shut......

There are pros and cons to each.....We like the idea of the open ended sleeve for a couple of reasons. We feel that a vast majority of users slide their MacBooks into a backpack of sorts - we haven't found any circumstances to where anything would ever be packed on top of an open exposed end. We also like having one end exposed for the simple reason that is still leave access to the ports - be it is you need to charge overnight, have a USB or external display hooked up on a desktop......this type of thing.
I would put some sort of velcro flap to keep dust out.

Claerion

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2009
I think some sort of flap would be nice I can't think of the name of the iPad case that uses just a flap to close it but there is one out there. I don't think an open end would be the best option because I know that I use my sleeve inside my backpack and if i take it out of my bag the wrong way the last thing I want is my MBP to slip out of the sleeve. :(

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I get to test the beta version, right?

might have to send ya a sample of the first production run for a nice "user review"

we're not trying to reinvent the wheel, just tweak it a bit and give people a) what they want and b) something not currently in their local Best Buy, but maybe should be :)

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
i really appreciate the time incase takes to put into the nylon bag they offer for $60, i agree with everyone else here that that needs to be a major point in this new offering.

i do believe a "memory foam" type material with a thicker density would be smart, as far as i know there is no main stream bag that offers this. it makes for GREAT shock protection. i like magnets or even a snap button.

i do have a macbook pro 13" with a speck case and also a wrapsol, so id be happy to test whatever you produce and give a full run down on the product as i carry my macbook with me EVERYWHERE.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I don't mind the sleeves that go up about 80% over the laptop and have a hood that stretches over the remaining area, they look nice and tend to offer protection enough for my liking.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
as of now, we're looking at manufacturing in leather - to start. While I hesitate in speak in regards to any specific company's product - I do hear a lot about incase. I'll be perfectly honest, they make a great product - the one thing we're trying to avoid is a soft neoprene outer shell. From my personal experience it's penetrable and this is something we're looking to avoid. Leather may not offer shock absorption - however I do believe it offers more protection than a neoprene or fabric surface.

We're approaching this from a 'less is more' perspective, however we don't want to skimp on usability.

Here's what were trying to source for the iPad case lining, given it's bare screen....it may make it's way into the MacBook and iPhone sleeves as well.

Polartec® ThermalPro® Monkey Phur

I'm sure you can google it and see what product it's currently used for. We've been fortunate to have some time with it and it's lush.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
if you harm any monkeys during the process of your making of cases i will hunt you down and skin you alive

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
any fresh ideas today? going to meet with our guy that's stitching up a prototype soon......

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I have a STM Turtle case that I really like. It's a hard external shell with a soft(ish) inside surface. No zippers, just a formed opening that snaps shut after the laptop is inserted. The two metal pins and the bungees could be re-thought to instead be velcro or some other fastener. My only suggestion for improvement would be to have something to attach an optional shoulder strap or hand loops to.

Something similar in a rich leather would be a no brainer for me. I'd buy it in a second, as long as the price was reasonable. Plan on charging Tumi prices, and you can count me out.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I have a STM Turtle case that I really like. It's a hard external shell with a soft(ish) inside surface. No zippers, just a formed opening that snaps shut after the laptop is inserted. The two metal pins and the bungees could be re-thought to instead be velcro or some other fastener. My only suggestion for improvement would be to have something to attach an optional shoulder strap or hand loops to.

Something similar in a rich leather would be a no brainer for me. I'd buy it in a second, as long as the price was reasonable. Plan on charging Tumi prices, and you can count me out.

Great idea....in fact, that's possibly a great idea for a spin off product - same concept, just expanded. Only issue is that the cases are MacBook size specific - so it's tough to justify a manufacturing quantity in, say, the 17" - it may be 13" only - given the numbers.

What about closing it with magnets put inside the covering material?

exploring this, although, velcro is the easiest at this juncture.....

As far as price - we're unsure right now. Keep in mind, we're working professionals - this isn't our bread and butter. We're looking at producing, what we feel to be a quality product. Obviously we need to make margins to cover our investments and costs - but we're not under the pressure to produce margins to keep the roof over our heads. We'll try our absolute hardest to stay competitive.

grassfeeder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
should have a demo in hand mid week or so. we're opting for full French stitching so it should not only looks much cleaner, but that seem won't budge.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
liquid resistance
Velcro FTW! (I have a waterfield casesleeve)
Drop protection from at least a foot or more
Pocket for charger
Optional flap like waterfield casesleeve
Genuine Leather (with a water resistant coating) would be very nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.