Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adiofm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
So if you're carrying around a naked IP4, you might want to flip it over and take a look at all the light scratches on your camera lens housing. You may have noticed that the lens is not recessed. Well, everytime you set it down on it's back, you expose the glass housing to whatever you set it on.

Don't believe me? Shine some light on the back camera lens and tilt the iPhone at an angle. You'll see the light scratches. There are LOTS of them.

My guess is that the glass on the camera is not this "gorilla glass" they've been talking about.

My question is, how long before this starts affecting pictures taken with the camera? Hmm.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
there is a small scratch with a case on. always had a case on 24/7. i dont think you can prevent it and it doesnt mess up any pictures. honestly, i would have never ever noticed this if not for this thread.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
My question is, how long before this starts affecting pictures taken with the camera? Hmm.

Never, if its a fine scratch you'll never see an issue. Unless you have the eyes of a hawk and eagle combined

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
I'd be curious to see how prevelant this issue is and whether it does impact photo quality.

It is amazing how many flaws people are finding with this new iPhone 4.

Are people picky or is this iPhone a real failure? :confused:

The problems keep coming. WTF?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'd be curious to see how prevelant this issue is and whether it does impact photo quality.

I think people are just too anal with their iphones.
Its just a cellphone that you most likelly will replace in a year or 2. Its not a house and you're not getting married to it. :D
People return iphones like 10+ times untill the get the "perfect" iphone for various OCD reasons.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Have a naked iPhone 4? I bet your camera housing is scratched

So what did you bet and where can I collect it?

lens.jpg

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I just noticed about six scratches on the back of my phone today. I thought this glass was supposed to be super strong. My phone has dropped a couple of times, but we're talking from a three-foot-high desk to a carpeted floor. That's not what would cause something akin to this, let alone the one I would call a borderline crack.

Alas, it's all cosmetic. None of it is over the camera. The front seems to be scratch-free.

If this stuff is the same as the glass used in helicopter windshields and is supposed to be "the most scratch-resistant ever," they might want to check their supplier. It's kinda crap for this to happen within a month, especially when you can't find a damn case for this phone yet.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
No scratches here.

EDIT: And I was worried because night before last I fell asleep on a reclining chair and woke up to find my phone had slipped into the wood/metal frame at the bottom. I had to pull the fabric covering apart to get it out.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I just noticed about six scratches on the back of my phone today. I thought this glass was supposed to be super strong. My phone has dropped a couple of times, but we're talking from a three-foot-high desk to a carpeted floor. That's not what would cause something akin to this, let alone the one I would call a borderline crack.

Alas, it's all cosmetic. None of it is over the camera. The front seems to be scratch-free.

If this stuff is the same as the glass used in helicopter windshields and is supposed to be "the most scratch-resistant ever," they might want to check their supplier. It's kinda crap for this to happen within a month, especially when you can't find a damn case for this phone yet.

Are you sure it's the glass that's scratching? It's more likely it's the oleographic coating getting scratched.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've seen professional photographers shoot beautiful pictures with severely cracked (and I mean CRACKED) lenses without an issue.

Of course the camera lens isn't the gorilla glass. Surprised you'd even think so. Surprised you think that the iPhone - or any other device can NEVER be scratched.

The lens getting scratched isn't going to affect the imaging unless it's a real scrape/nick, etc. I wouldn't worry.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
You really shouldn't generalize things...

Not a scratch on my camera. Just a pretty crack on the back glass =(

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Are you sure it's the glass that's scratching? It's more likely it's the oleographic coating getting scratched.

I'm not looking at it through a microscope. I just know the back has a few microscratches and one that's kind of obvious because it goes over the Apple logo. I don't know if it's the coating or not. I just know that it isn't all shiny any more. I know stuff happens, but this seems kinda severe for three weeks, especially the big one.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
No scratches at all here. Keep it in a microfiber bag and when its on my desk, it's on a microfiber cloth. At home it's on the bag or on the couch.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

With the big antenna issue stirring up headlines, it just seems like people just want to add to this idea that the iPhone 4 is a complete failure in every way possible. It's sensationalism at it's finest. I consider my iPhone 4 pretty perfect, and have no legitimate complaints about any of it. Honestly, i think it's just the "in" thing to hate on right now.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
No scratches on mine, and that's with the camera exposed through the hole cut out in the screen protector style film I have on the back of mine.

I used my iPhone 4 without any case or protector for three days and carefully checked it under direct light before applying the protectors to both sides ... not a mark.

Just because Apple say it's "tougher" doesn't mean you can sit it down a little harder or treat it like a 40 quid plastic shell Nokia.

xmtgx

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010

Its only the front made of that first of all...
Second I have 0 scratches, no cases on mine either... Same with every other iphone i owned. People abuse **** and blame it on the product...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.