Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I'm considering this one b/c I like the form factor. I've seen the various "first impression" reviews on eBay, but I'd love feedback from people who have used for a few or more weeks to find out how it's working on a daily basis.

Did it fit your needs as you thought it would and would you buy it again? Things you don't like about it but are not obvious until you've used it?

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
I have the Eco-Vue, which is supposedly the same except it flips open from the side, like a book. I love it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm considering this one b/c I like the form factor. I've seen the various "first impression" reviews on eBay, but I'd love feedback from people who have used for a few or more weeks to find out how it's working on a daily basis.

Did it fit your needs as you thought it would and would you buy it again? Things you don't like about it but are not obvious until you've used it?

I have and used an Eco-Flip for about a month, after using an Apple case for a few weeks. It's a very nice case and I still have it but am currently using a new Dodocase. I will probably flip (sorry, no pun intended) between the 2 going forward, depending on my needs. A brief summary of pros and cons:

Pros:
- Materials feel great to the touch--nice faux leather exterior with only small marware logo stamp on bottom corner. Nicely understated. Gray microfiber covers every interior surface and has held up nicely--no significant wears marks.
- Elastic strap on bottom of back of case works well to keep case closed and unlike the Dodocase, is taught whether wrapped around the front or not.
- I actually like the elastic strap on the inside cover that can be used to slide one's hand inside to help hold the iPad--makes holding iPad one-handed easier for longer periods of time
- Small flap also on inside cover works well to prop iPad in landscape orientation or typing.
- Propping iPad in portrait mode works great--no sliding.

Cons:
- Material has slightly already separated from case in one corner of the strip that frames the iPad. This is one of the few locations that aren't stitched together (small rubber strip, likely glued).
- That same strip the holds/frames the iPad can make accessing the lower row of the keyboard in landscape orientation a bit cumbersome but wasn't a major issue for me.
- No effective way to prop in landscape mode at steeper angle (i.e. for viewing video), but to be honest, I knew this going in and wasn't concerned about it.

Also, the often reported issue with the Eco-Vue about the strap that slides behind the iPad to hold it in place not being sufficient to keep it from sliding out in certain orientations is a non issue with the Flip.

Overall, I like the case and I think it does what it was designed to do well. I was looking for a simple, understated and not too bulky case to both protect and disguise my iPad and it fit the bill nicely. Again, as none of the cases I have fill all needs perfectly (Apple and Dodocase better for landscape use, Eco-Flip for portrait), I'll probably switch between them all as needed. Presently though I'm using a Dodocase and while it isn't as functional as I'd like, it is simply a beautiful, very well made case and will probably stick with it for a while.

dingmah

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2006
AB
I've had my Eco-Flip for about 2.5 weeks now, and the cover is bowing due to the strap tension. Not an issue for me, but I thought others might want to know. I still think that this is the best iPad case out there!

4854136267_0fafb9e3b2.jpg

4854142467_6476b212c3.jpg

4854769134_57b35b63f2.jpg

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
Pros:
- Materials feel great to the touch--nice faux leather exterior with only small marware logo stamp on bottom corner. Nicely understated. Gray microfiber covers every interior surface and has held up nicely--no significant wears marks.
- Elastic strap on bottom of back of case works well to keep case closed and unlike the Dodocase, is taught whether wrapped around the front or not.
- I actually like the elastic strap on the inside cover that can be used to slide one's hand inside to help hold the iPad--makes holding iPad one-handed easier for longer periods of time
- Small flap also on inside cover works well to prop iPad in landscape orientation or typing.
- Propping iPad in portrait mode works great--no sliding

Agree with the above

Cons:
- No effective way to prop in landscape mode at steeper angle (i.e. for viewing video), but to be honest, I knew this going in and wasn't concerned about it.

Due to the above issue I have decided to purchase the Yoobao V4 Executive Case as I am now using the iPad a lot more for work. The Yoobao will suit my needs better for propping the ipad up in landscape mode at different angles.

Having said that I will still use my Eco Flip as I feel it gives a lot more protection and am verry happy with it. No wear and Tear on mine and I've been using it for a number of weeks (heavy useage)

Hope this helps.

dstunbound

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
I have had the Eco-Vue for about 2.5 months and it's been pretty good. However, I do have a few issues and I'm going to be switching to something else soon (likely the Yoobao Executive or the new Yoobao Slim). My two main issues are the heft of the case and that it has started to come a part a bit at the corners where it holds the iPad in. I hope the newer Yoobao cases are lighter than the Marware is.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I've had my Eco-Flip for about 2.5 weeks now, and the cover is bowing due to the strap tension. Not an issue for me, but I thought others might want to know. I still think that this is the best iPad case out there!

I do believe that might have to do with the curved back of the ipad, thus the back of the case tries to contour with the ipad's shape. I have the eco-vue and its the same thing. if they designed the ipad like the iphone 4, this might not be the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.