Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 9, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!! last backup not showing in tunes

I restored to factory settings (as new iphone) today to try to fix imovie problems. Now I want to restore to the way I had it before that, and my backups don't show up in itunes at the restore from backup window. This is excruciatingly frustrating. Anything I can do?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Thomasba58
macrumors member

Can't help I'm afraid but I'm looking for the same answer so.....bump!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 05:21 PM   #3
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

it just works my a$$
Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Iíve never really figured out the backup process. Every time I backup I think itís a new one and Iíll still have the old, but it just overwrites the old one, leaving me only one backup. Then sometime I get an additional one. Iím clueless.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:52 PM   #5
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
Iíve never really figured out the backup process. Every time I backup I think itís a new one and Iíll still have the old, but it just overwrites the old one, leaving me only one backup. Then sometime I get an additional one. Iím clueless.
yeah, there are ZERO of any of my iphone 4 backups on my itunes. The most recent backup is from my 3gs. frickin annoying. where are my backups apple????
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:41 PM   #6
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Delete all backups if there are any, Press Reset Sync History, Close and restart iTunes and plug iPhone back in and sync. This will generate a new backup for iPhone4

Good Luck and this should fix your issue.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:04 PM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Archer View Post
Delete all backups if there are any, Press Reset Sync History, Close and restart iTunes and plug iPhone back in and sync. This will generate a new backup for iPhone4

Good Luck and this should fix your issue.
He wants the backup before he made the changes. How does that do that?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:20 AM   #8
SFC Archer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aggie- View Post
He wants the backup before he made the changes. How does that do that?
He stated this: "and my backups don't show up in itunes at the restore from backup window."

If there is nothing there, then there is nothing to restore from.
You can attempt to see if the file is located in a path like this (this one is for windows 7) C:\Users\"computer name:\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I dont know if you cant just drop it in to iTunes or not. Google "iTunes Backup file restore" and you will have to dig through threads that will guide you.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:08 PM   #9
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Archer View Post
He stated this: "and my backups don't show up in itunes at the restore from backup window."

If there is nothing there, then there is nothing to restore from.
You can attempt to see if the file is located in a path like this (this one is for windows 7) C:\Users\"computer name:\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I dont know if you cant just drop it in to iTunes or not. Google "iTunes Backup file restore" and you will have to dig through threads that will guide you.
thanks but I just restored from my latest iphone 3gs backup from june 22 and redid a bunch of stuff. I hope apple eventually fixes this bug.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:37 PM   #10
michalko.j
macrumors member

Do you use time machine? I saw you have a mac. Backups (for the phone) are located in ~/library/application support/mobilesync/backup

Each folder in the backup folder is a separate backup with a long random letters and number name. These are the ones reported in the preferences window to iTunes. If you only see one folder your iPhone 4 backup must be gone or you restored your 4 from the 3GS backup and your 4 got renamed as a 3GS. That doesn't seem like the case since the backup was from the 22nd.
michalko.j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Wegee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
I restored to factory settings (as new iphone) today to try to fix imovie problems. Now I want to restore to the way I had it before that, and my backups don't show up in itunes at the restore from backup window. This is excruciatingly frustrating. Anything I can do?
Same happened to me when after a full restore, i chose "setup as new" instead of "restore from backup". I think the problem is that the name chosen for the iphone was the same as before the restore, in fact itunes has completely overwrite the old backup with the new -empty- one, automatically without ask me. Luckily i usually keep all my bakups in double copy on another disk, iphone backups included.

Anyway i don't like this way to take backups, i think Apple needs to completely revise the backup and synchronization system.
Why, in example, there is no way to do a selective backup? Every time synch all that stuff is a mess, why can't backup only some apps or some savegames? or maybe Text messages in text files? And so on, but i'm going off topic, sorry.
Wegee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:53 PM   #12
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegee View Post
Same happened to me when after a full restore, i chose "setup as new" instead of "restore from backup". I think the problem is that the name chosen for the iphone was the same as before the restore, in fact itunes has completely overwrite the old backup with the new -empty- one, automatically without ask me. Luckily i usually keep all my bakups in double copy on another disk, iphone backups included.

Anyway i don't like this way to take backups, i think Apple needs to completely revise the backup and synchronization system.
Why, in example, there is no way to do a selective backup? Every time synch all that stuff is a mess, why can't backup only some apps or some savegames? or maybe Text messages in text files? And so on, but i'm going off topic, sorry.
so now I've changed the name on my iphone to iPhone 4g and backed up, this should fix the problem?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Wegee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmusiker View Post
so now I've changed the name on my iphone to iPhone 4g and backed up, this should fix the problem?
Choosing another name should only avoid the overwriting problem in case of full restore and "setup as new": the new iphone's name should be different from the name used since the last backup, i.e. if your iphone's name is iphone_A, you should "setup as new" using another name, like iphone_B or something. I hope to make myself understood, I'm still learning to write English.
Wegee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:26 PM   #14
raouf007
macrumors newbie

Same Problem, perheps a solution

Hi every body
i have the same problem, before updating my iphone 4 to ios 5.1.1, i have done a backup and every things goes ok
till the restoring step
the last backup don't shows up in the list

i have tried to explore the backup folders
and and i figured out this :
if the backup is in there
"\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\8be609ea495e5346bf44a258b2bc29ea8dd373b7"

verify if there is these files :
"
Info.plist
Manifest.mbdb
Manifest.plist
Status.plist
"

if yes, then go to a previous backup folder (older date ofcourse) and open the file info.plist, that is an xml formated file

copy the header, from the beginning to "<key>IC-Info.sidv</key>"

verify that it's on backup of your iphone

then past this header into the file info.plist of the last backup folder

all the next lines are a listing ref --> file/prog name

so can't be reversed easily

i will test it tomorrow and stay in touch
raouf007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Nycguy2369
macrumors newbie

Hi Raouf007,

Were you able to fix the backup file to show up in iTunes? Was your iphone jail broken ?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouf007 View Post
Hi every body
i have the same problem, before updating my iphone 4 to ios 5.1.1, i have done a backup and every things goes ok
till the restoring step
the last backup don't shows up in the list

i have tried to explore the backup folders
and and i figured out this :
if the backup is in there
"\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\8be609ea495e5346bf44a258b2bc29ea8dd373b7"

verify if there is these files :
"
Info.plist
Manifest.mbdb
Manifest.plist
Status.plist
"

if yes, then go to a previous backup folder (older date ofcourse) and open the file info.plist, that is an xml formated file

copy the header, from the beginning to "<key>IC-Info.sidv</key>"

verify that it's on backup of your iphone

then past this header into the file info.plist of the last backup folder

all the next lines are a listing ref --> file/prog name

so can't be reversed easily

i will test it tomorrow and stay in touch
Nycguy2369 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting