Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
stephg
macrumors member

Help! Dog chewed USB cable

Grrrrr...My dog just chewed on the USB cable that came with my iPad. It still plugs in but doesn't show it charging. I plugged it into my iPhone 3GS cable which is plugged into my computer and it does show it's charging. Will this do any damage to the iPad until I can get a new one? Also are there any cheaper alternatives? The apple one is $29. TIA!
stephg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:55 PM   #2
kernkraft
Banned

I'd chew the dog and buy a cable on Ebay. Although, the 3GS cable is just as good. The only thing is to make sure that the device can charge the iPad.
kernkraft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:09 PM   #3
I3eXa
macrumors 6502

yep..ebay will get ya there for only a few bucks.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Wolffie
macrumors regular

Monoprice.com

Monoprice.com is everyone's friend

Good doggy, good timing
Wolffie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Battlestar
Banned

I believe that the Apple cable is $19.99 but for an extra $10.00 you can get it with a charger.
Battlestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:57 PM   #6
stephg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie;

Good doggy, good timing
Thanks so much! I had forgotten about monoprice.com. I just ordered two 6 ft. cables since they were so cheap (just in case she does it again). Although with the longer cable I will be able to run it behind my desk, and she probably won't be able to get to it again.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:12 PM   #7
ddoolin
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ddoolin Send a message via MSN to ddoolin Send a message via Skype™ to ddoolin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post

Good doggy, good timing
Wow. That's seriously cheap. Time to buy en masse.
ddoolin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
melman101
macrumors 68000

Yeah I ordered 4 6-footers on Saturday. Got them yesterday. Awesome!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 05:59 AM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoolin View Post
Wow. That's seriously cheap. Time to buy en masse.

Limit 6 per customer.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 06:14 AM   #10
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Limit 6 per customer.
Why give a price for a quantity of 50+ then? Very confusing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-10 at 7.12.06 AM.png
Views:	53
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	238044  

Last edited by annk; Jul 10, 2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Removed image link (click on thumbnail for larger version)
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:18 AM   #11
cardude280
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to cardude280
idk but most of the ones on ebay come with free shipping, it may take a little while longer but its free
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:31 AM   #12
stephg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude280 View Post
idk but most of the ones on ebay come with free shipping, it may take a little while longer but its free
I don't know what the cable prices are on ebay, but the shipping was cheap through monoprice. Weird that they have a limit, though. Probably to keep people from reselling on eBay!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:39 AM   #13
lostless
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg View Post
Grrrrr...My dog just chewed on the USB cable that came with my iPad. It still plugs in but doesn't show it charging. I plugged it into my iPhone 3GS cable which is plugged into my computer and it does show it's charging. Will this do any damage to the iPad until I can get a new one? Also are there any cheaper alternatives? The apple one is $29. TIA!
It will not do any damage. The USB cable for the iPad and 3GS (as well as any other ipod USB cable) are identical. They all use the usb 5V line to charge.
lostless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Perihelion
macrumors regular

Yeah, Monoprice, Dealextreme, and Budgetgadets.com all have phenomenal prices for these kinds of apple accessories. I keep spares at work and home so I don't have to carry the cables and adapters around.
Perihelion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:51 PM   #15
FirePak
macrumors regular

Just a FYI I have 3 of these mono price cables they will show your iPad charging but it will take forever. Like twice as long.
FirePak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:15 PM   #16
stephg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePak;
Just a FYI I have 3 of these mono price cables they will show your iPad charging but it will take forever. Like twice as long.
Interesting...well, worst case scenario, I will order from Apple and have a couple backup cables! I usually just plug in the iPad overnight, so I'll see if it charges fully doing that. Thanks.

Also, I'm wondering if it makes a difference if I plug the replacement cable into the wall charger instead of the computer? That's how I usually charge the iPad.

Last edited by stephg; Jul 10, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 02:32 PM   #17
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg View Post

Huh? Your dog chewed the USB cable not the charger itself? Just plug another USB cable from ANY device and call it a day. It's a USB cable not a magical cable. Each USB cable is the same anyways. You can use your iPhone charger even but it will just overheat eventually. Using an iPhone chargers on an iPad is not recommended, using an iPad charger on an iphone is perfectly fine, because it can handle that amount of watts and more. But USB cables don't matter

Thanks
AE
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:18 PM   #18
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelalfy View Post
Huh? Your dog chewed the USB cable not the charger itself? Just plug another USB cable from ANY device and call it a day. It's a USB cable not a magical cable. Each USB cable is the same anyways. You can use your iPhone charger even but it will just overheat eventually. Using an iPhone chargers on an iPad is not recommended, using an iPad charger on an iphone is perfectly fine, because it can handle that amount of watts and more. But USB cables don't matter

Thanks
AE
/facepalm.

Have you never seen an iPad/iPhone/iPod USB cable?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 03:26 PM   #19
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
I agree, but a 6' cable I recently bought is not charging my wife's iPad, and my own iPhone 3G that I left connected to my MBP overnight did not charge when connected via a 2' cable purchased at the same time, nor does it charge via a 2' cable + car-charger also purchased as part of that batch. I have no doubt that Monoprice will make it right--their service is terrific--but I may be experiencing a "You Get What You Pay For" moment here.

Meanwhile, to the OP, may I suggest for his doggie:

sjinsjca is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 04:17 PM   #20
stephg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelalfy;

Thanks
AE
Well, it's the USB sync cable, so not just a plain USB cable.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:00 PM   #21
stephg
macrumors member

Update on mono price cable

I just wanted to post back with an update on the monoprice cable for my iPad. I got it yesterday and tried it first plugged into my iMac. It showed the iPad as charging. Last night I plugged into the wall charger and it showed my iPad as charging and it was fully charged this morning, so it seems to work just fine. To the PP who said the monoprice cable didn't charge their devices, you must have a defective cable, so you should be able to get a replacement. You sure can't beat the price!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories