Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
i've had the macbook for about a month now and I noticed that theres times when I boot up the macbook my temperature hovers around 70C (didn't turn on from sleep mode) i'm using smcfancontrol to see the temperature and I could feel it too, then when I restart it the temp drops and just hovers around 40C
does anyone know why?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Do you even bother to Google anything or even search the forums? Its not an issue.Sorry for the harsh response, but Its asked daily, and people seem so concerned. The Mac knows how to operate its self. The CPU can has a safe operating temp of 105C. So if it gets to 100C then worry a bit. 70C is nothing. Thats only 158F. My 13" MBP when starting up is between 160F-165F (71.111C-73.889C, then it drops quickly to 100F-120F (37.778C-48.889C)

cubiczech

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Dont bother about CPU temperature, everything below 105 degrees Celsius is ok, i have i7 15" MBP for about a week and its normal for that kind of processor. The new Intel architecture is really cool in idle state, but it gets hotter than C2D CPUs, in every i3, i5, i7 mobile computer.

back to the problem... its propabbly u bug in temperature readings, or just fan speed difference during bootup process. Im just guessing, but when you first boot, the CPU gets loaded with bootup process, after second reboot, the fans are running higher speed (because they adapted to the earlier temperature state), but the cpu isnt too loaded during shutdown and reboot (especially on the grey screen etc), so it can cool down the cpu and the heatsink. What Im trying to say is that the cpu during reboot has got much more time to cool down with help of the faster fans.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Dont bother about CPU temperature, everything below 105 degrees Celsius is ok, i have i7 15" MBP for about a week and its normal for that kind of processor. The new Intel architecture is really cool in idle state, but it gets hotter than C2D CPUs, in every i3, i5, i7 mobile computer.

back to the problem... its propabbly u bug in temperature readings, or just fan speed difference during bootup process. Im just guessing, but when you first boot, the CPU gets loaded with bootup process, after second reboot, the fans are running higher speed (because they adapted to the earlier temperature state), but the cpu isnt too loaded during shutdown and reboot (especially on the grey screen etc), so it can cool down the cpu and the heatsink. What Im trying to say is that the cpu during reboot has got much more time to cool down with help of the faster fans.

i'm not to worried about the 70c i know this average load, i'm just bothered by it because its running at a load temperature when clearly there is none, the fans are running at the same speed and when i kick them up to about 5500 rpm the temperature stays at the same 70-80C i left it for about 10 minutes and it only dropped to about 65C and i could feel that there is heat and i could definitely hear the fans kicking in, after the reboot at 3000rpm the temperature stays at around 35-44C and it feels a lot cooler

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
4745264042_9c23afdbc9_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.