Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farfooz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
i know this has been discussed before in the regular forums but they were asking if an official app could come out and utilize the camera flash for notifications. difference is for me im asking if it is possible through jailbreak means as it would be awesome to know when i get a new text or any notification as i dont have to turn on the phone every time in case i miss a vibration. i know the jailbreak isn't out yet but as I have been following musclenerd and planetbeing, they have the jb, now its just getting the unlock. anyones thoughts on this? the led flash can blink not brightly, but just enough so that the thing can show you that you have a notification. this wouldn't kill the battery as one: LED's are very battery efficient and use minimal power. and two: the led can't die out as it has a life span of up to 50000 hours. anyones thoughts on this?

Farfooz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Seeing as no one has a jailbroken iPhone 4, I dont see how anyone can answer that.

I know what you mean and I don't mean to pose a stupid question, I am just asking since it has been possible through official Flashlight apps on the app store, would it be possible to do such a thing through cydia only for notifications? I hope this question does not come across as amateur. just wondering probability wise, if it is indeed possible.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
this is a must be made/must have app.

im sure someone will do something like this once the jailbreak comes out.

I cant believe apple didnt put some type of led notification light on the new ip4.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I know what you mean and I don't mean to pose a stupid question, I am just asking since it has been possible through official Flashlight apps on the app store, would it be possible to do such a thing through cydia only for notifications? I hope this question does not come across as amateur. just wondering probability wise, if it is indeed possible.
Possible, yes.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
The LED is bright, does anyone know if it could be like not so bright when it does it? Like a toned down version?

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
It would be cool if you could tone down the brightness so that it didn't soak up battery. I didn't think that LEDs used that much power though? I guess I could be mistaking though. What I think would be a great app is one that would extend the missed call/text notification indefinitely. I'd like more than two chimes.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
It would be cool if you could tone down the brightness so that it didn't soak up battery. I didn't think that LEDs used that much power though? I guess I could be mistaking though. What I think would be a great app is one that would extend the missed call/text notification indefinitely. I'd like more than two chimes.

LED's dont use much power @ all..

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Since the LED off/on function is an official API call this would be trivial to code with mobilesubstrate. Adjusting the brightness is another matter and probably not possible since the current/voltage passed through the LED is hardware fixed.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
I know they dont use power(edit: that much :p), but who wants a glaring bright light coming out of their pocket in a dark room or if you decide not to answer something. The only way I would us this is if it could be subtle

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
I know they dont use power(edit: that much :p), but who wants a glaring bright light coming out of their pocket in a dark room or if you decide not to answer something. The only way I would us this is if it could be subtle

Well think of like the sleep light on any Mac. Not too bright but pulsing sorta like? That could be really cool. I agree the brightness should be lowered if possible. How cool would it be especially with some cases like the bumper, glowing edge when face up? Siiicckk.

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Why does this have to be a jailbrake app? Why not a regular app? They just approved the LED flashlight apps the other day....?

It would have to be able to access your phone email texts ect to work.
Apple doesnt allow apps to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.