Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Ok here is where I ask a question then feel like an idiot when I get the simple answer.

Just setting up my new iPad, I have synched my music but when I press ipod on the main screen under the library I see no "Films" section like you do on itunes.

I have a film on my laptop that plays fine in itunes there but it will not let me transfer it to the ipad...any ideas?

Under Info in itunes its an MPEG-4 and H.264 video codec.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Ah, thanks yes I was looking in the ipod section as you would on the iphone.

Ok so as it plays fine on my laptops itunes under films how do I transfer it to the ipad?:confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Does the video comply with the following?

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

from Apple's official statement on the technical specifications of the iPad

Btw, MPEG-4 is a coded, just like H264 (an MPEG-4 variant). So what container (format) do you use? .mov, .m4v, .mp4, ...?

Ah, thanks yes I was looking in the ipod section as you would on the iphone.

Ok so as it plays fine on my laptops itunes under films how do I transfer it to the ipad?:confused:

If the video complies with the above specifications, you should be able to drag the film(s) onto the iPad in iTunes.

I miss the plural apostrophe.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
This is the info from iTunes, sorry about the size...

Untitled.jpg

roryapple

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Massachuttes
convert

hey mate, you want to go to itunes and select the video then go to advanced and convert to ipad/appletv version then sync.
good luck

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
Great so how do you get a film from your laptop into your video app?

In iTunes. Select the device you want to sync your movies to from the left column of the window, then from the large right pane select the Movies tab. Check the boxes for what you want to sync, then click the apply button at the bottom right corner of the screen. A instructed by the other answer above you may need to convert it using the option on the advanced menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.