Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1
flipangle
macrumors regular

Otterbox Commuter vs Impact

Been hearing great things about Otterbox. Never had one of their cases before. What the difference between these two Otterbox series? And is the defender a lot bulkier? I want good protection for my new iPhone 4 but don't want to carry a brick. I currently use a Speck PixelSkin for my 3G. It's pretty darn thick. Anything thicker would be a deal breaker for me.
flipangle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Opie
macrumors 6502a

I have had all three for my 3gs and the defender is definitely a brick. I purchased the impact and it was ok but Hard to get in and out of pocket because it is all silicone. The commuter was my favorite and it got used the most. Otterbox has pictures of what the new three cases will look like.http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/ I recommend the commuter.
Opie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
OverSpun
macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem deciding between Impact and commuter. I just dont want commuter to be too thick. I really need to see pictures of it laying next to the phone and vs. with the bumper too. That should help a lot. I def dont need def. case. Looks way too beastly. Hmm.

I only bought the bumper as a temporary case until a good one starts selling.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4
flipangle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverSpun View Post
I have the same problem deciding between Impact and commuter. I just dont want commuter to be too thick. I really need to see pictures of it laying next to the phone and vs. with the bumper too. That should help a lot. I def dont need def. case. Looks way too beastly. Hmm.

I only bought the bumper as a temporary case until a good one starts selling.
I agree. I can't get a sense of the relative thickness between the commuter and the impact based on the pics on the website.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:20 PM   #5
flipangle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I have had all three for my 3gs and the defender is definitely a brick. I purchased the impact and it was ok but Hard to get in and out of pocket because it is all silicone. The commuter was my favorite and it got used the most. Otterbox has pictures of what the new three cases will look like.http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/ I recommend the commuter.
Thanks for your comments. Definitely helpful.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:53 AM   #6
makefunnyfaces
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to makefunnyfaces Send a message via Skype™ to makefunnyfaces
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never owned an Otterbox, but a friend of mine had the Impact, & it ripped in several places after only a few weeks. Not sure if that's typical for it.

As for me, I'm not a silicone case fan AT ALL, so I will probably go with the Defender or Commuter. I'm pretty much always sliding my phone in/out of my pocket, & silicone makes that hard to do.

Another case that offered me GREAT drop protection with my 3G & 3GS was the Switcheasy CapsuleRebel. They haven't released it for the 4 yet, but I really suggest it. I dropped my old phones on concrete, hardwood, & tile SO many times, but didn't even get so much as a scratch on either phone.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:58 AM   #7
CT1stMaxedOut09
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to CT1stMaxedOut09 Send a message via Skype™ to CT1stMaxedOut09
I had the OtterBox Commuter case on my iPhone 3Gs and I loved it. A few reasons why I like the OtterBox cases is because 1.) Durability, reliability, and craftsmanship and 2.) Their cases also incorporate port covers for both the headphone and dock connector ports which is awsome for those rainy days
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:32 AM   #8
flipangle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makefunnyfaces View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never owned an Otterbox, but a friend of mine had the Impact, & it ripped in several places after only a few weeks. Not sure if that's typical for it.

As for me, I'm not a silicone case fan AT ALL, so I will probably go with the Defender or Commuter. I'm pretty much always sliding my phone in/out of my pocket, & silicone makes that hard to do.
I'm confused. Aren't the Defender and Commuter also silicone?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:55 AM   #9
makefunnyfaces
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to makefunnyfaces Send a message via Skype™ to makefunnyfaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipangle View Post
I'm confused. Aren't the Defender and Commuter also silicone?
I checked the website & only saw the Impact's description as being silicone, but I could have overlooked it.

Edit: DOH, I guess they are. Just watched an unboxing on YouTube of a Commuter for the 3GS that has a plastic back (over the silicone), & a Defender that has an outer layer of silicone. Sorry about that. This changes everything for my decision making process, haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2sNzx7jHY

Last edited by makefunnyfaces; Jul 11, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
makefunnyfaces is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:17 PM   #10
OverSpun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by makefunnyfaces View Post
I checked the website & only saw the Impact's description as being silicone, but I could have overlooked it.

Edit: DOH, I guess they are. Just watched an unboxing on YouTube of a Commuter for the 3GS that has a plastic back (over the silicone), & a Defender that has an outer layer of silicone. Sorry about that. This changes everything for my decision making process, haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2sNzx7jHY
That helped me. Commuter is my choice. I hope it's ready soon.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:37 PM   #11
mhdena
macrumors 6502

Is the defender the only one that includes a holster? I want a holster as I don't keep my phone in my pocket.
mhdena is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:14 PM   #12
S1njin
macrumors 6502a

Waiting patiently for the 'buy now' email to come along ....
S1njin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:46 PM   #13
maus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
Waiting patiently for the 'buy now' email to come along ....
Didn't they say it would take a couple of months?
maus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:47 PM   #14
OverSpun
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Didn't they say it would take a couple of months?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:36 PM   #15
jkirton2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Is the defender the only one that includes a holster? I want a holster as I don't keep my phone in my pocket.
All of our SmartPhone Defender cases come with belt clip/holster included. There are also several smartphone cases that offer an optional ballistic nylon holster if the customer prefers a belt holster as opposed to a beltclip. There are also belt clip/holsters are for sale on our website if you choose to purchase extra. Some devices that might not come with the belt clip/holster included with the purchase of the case can be purchased as a separate optional accessory, if available. Cases that have one of the nylon holsters available for sale, but not included, are: 1930, 1931, 1920, 1921, and the HP cases 1910 and 1911.
jkirton2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:40 PM   #16
jkirton2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I've had an OtterBox Defender for my iPhone 3G for the past year. I've used the holster for a while, but found that I kept knocking the phone outta the holster everytime I sat in my armed office chair! I keep my iPhone in my pants/slacks pocket and, while it is difficult to get in and out, at least I know that it's NOT going to accidentally fall out of my pocket!
jkirton2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:11 PM   #17
OverSpun
macrumors 6502a

Anyone have a realism ETA on their commuter case? I'm tired of this bumper case, and its not safe at all.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:42 PM   #18
crashnburn
macrumors regular

People - Your experiences with the iPhone 4 versions of these various Otterbox cases? Defender / Commuter / Etc
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:50 PM   #19
Littlenet
macrumors member

I have the defender and I love it. I have dropped my phone a zillion times with no problems. Once in a puddle of water and the water didn't touch my phone.
Littlenet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:26 AM   #20
LaCosta
macrumors newbie

How well do stick on screen protectors like Zagg do in these Otterboxes? Do the edges come up or flare up from contact with the case?
LaCosta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:46 AM   #21
psyduckiee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta View Post
How well do stick on screen protectors like Zagg do in these Otterboxes? Do the edges come up or flare up from contact with the case?
Works fine with both the Commuter and Impact. Is not compatible with the Defender.
psyduckiee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:16 AM   #22
JASApplications
macrumors 65816

Commuter! In my opinion the Impact is just like any silicone case however you get paid a huge premium because it has the logo of Otterbox on it!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 05:34 PM   #23
crashnburn
macrumors regular

Any good side by side pics or comparison between Defender and Commuter for iPhone 4?
crashnburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:28 AM   #24
Maziar
macrumors 6502

I have the commuter and i like it. The only problem with it is that i found the edges a bit sharp(it annoys me a bit while talking) but aside from that,I'm haooy with it
Maziar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 01:33 PM   #25
jonofthedead
macrumors newbie

I just got the commuter in after using the Apple bumper for a month or two. I will never go back. Best case I've ever had by far.
jonofthedead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories