Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gheat93

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
San Francisco
I'm wondering how everyone carries their earphones on the go? I generally coil them up and keep them in my pocket - a little crude I know - and perhaps consequently, the cables invariably break.
How do you all carry your earphones whilst out? Do you have similar experiences to myself, or have you figured out a way to prolong the life of earphone cable?
I'm looking forward to your responses :)

StephenAndrew

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Same here, coiled in pocket or in any bag/backpack I'm carrying. I really only use them when I'm either working out, hiking or motorcycling, so I rarely need to store them on the go. I've been using the same pair of Shure earphones for almost 3 years now, they don't seem to mind how I store them.

Psant

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
My Klipsch S2Ms came with a little felt carrying pouch, so in that. I used to have some Skullcandies and I went through two pairs in a year by just coiling and throwing them in my backpack. I've learned to be more careful.

Stevomcgee

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
I'm on my third pair of these crappy headphones and I didn't want to buy anything so I made this out of an old contact case. Does the job.
91ed73df.jpg

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
My Skullcandy FMJ's came with a case like this and they seem to be holding up great:
skullcandy_asym_case_open.JPG
My iPod shuffle fits great inside of there too along with some extra foam tips.

crhudy1985

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
It depends on which earphones. I have a nice pair of sonys I keep in the pouch they came in with my shuffle. I put my apple earbuds coiled up in a small pouch on the side of my purse to be easily accessible.

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I usually just coil them up as well. Usually a bigger loop so they don't stick like that.

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
My v-moda's came with this pouch. It works out great. The difference in size in my pocket doesn't bug me and I think that is the biggest thing for me. Also they don't get tangled as easily.
dsc01878t.jpg

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Ultimate ears includes the crush proof case for their higher end model; works great:

2006-12-02_superfi_case.png

Alicia Keys also uses the case for her custom set that she uses on stage so...it's probably good enough for me :D

30274_391146992609_151126107609_4733591_4231988_n.jpg

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
I have the latest iteration of the Apple IEMs. I just use the triangular case they came in.

Also carry around the stock 'buds as a backup pair, coiled up like shown in a video posted earlier.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Ziploc snack size bags

I keep mine in Ziploc (usually generic equivalent) snack size bags. It at least keeps them apart and being tangled w/other stuff. I usually end up carrying both a regular set of buds for my iPod Classic + the set w/mic + buttons for my iPhone.

I wish more earbuds with come with windup cases like http://www.amazon.com/MDRE828LP-SLV-Lightweight-Earbuds-Silver/dp/B0015AM30Y. AGES ago, all Sony earbuds would come with them.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I'm on my third pair of these crappy headphones and I didn't want to buy anything so I made this out of an old contact case. Does the job.
91ed73df.jpg
Those hard bends in the wire may be why you're going through so many of them. Not only should wire not bend at sharp 90 degree angles like that, it's also pulling the wires from where they're soldered in the headphones and mic. Wind the wires around your fingers and store them in something protective and you'll find they last a lot longer, I bet. (Altoids or Eclipse mints tins are just the right size, by the way, and pretty protective.)

Stevomcgee

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Those hard bends in the wire may be why you're going through so many of them. Not only should wire not bend at sharp 90 degree angles like that, it's also pulling the wires from where they're soldered in the headphones and mic. Wind the wires around your fingers and store them in something protective and you'll find they last a lot longer, I bet. (Altoids or Eclipse mints tins are just the right size, by the way, and pretty protective.)

You're absolutely right but that's probably not the reason they keep crapping out on me. I like to run with these earphones so my sweat gets into the mic which causes all kinds of problems before I even pack them up. I'm currenty engineering a solution for wrapping up the mic/remote so I could still use it for running. My first attempt involved a cut out zip lock bag but I didn't have a proper seal so the sweat actually gathered inside the bag so now I'm working on another way to seal up the ends of the small bag. I'll probably stop using the contact case but since I can pretty much get a replacement for free(warranty) whenever I want I'll keep trying out creative solutions.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
You're absolutely right but that's probably not the reason they keep crapping out on me. I like to run with these earphones so my sweat gets into the mic which causes all kinds of problems before I even pack them up. I'm currenty engineering a solution for wrapping up the mic/remote so I could still use it for running. My first attempt involved a cut out zip lock bag but I didn't have a proper seal so the sweat actually gathered inside the bag so now I'm working on another way to seal up the ends of the small bag. I'll probably stop using the contact case but since I can pretty much get a replacement for free(warranty) whenever I want I'll keep trying out creative solutions.

How about just wrapping the mic/remote part with kitchen Cling Wrap?

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
I keep mine in Ziploc (usually generic equivalent) snack size bags. It at least keeps them apart and being tangled w/other stuff. I usually end up carrying both a regular set of buds for my iPod Classic + the set w/mic + buttons for my iPhone.

Hey, I'm not the only one! :)

I coil mine up neatly around my fingers, and then slide the coil into the snack bag. They come back out neat enough to be easily uncoiled and used in the dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.