Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Help - Can't install Warcraft 3 in on my MBP

Hi all Mac gurus, I seriously need some good advice.

I recently bought a legit warcraft III cd set, to be installed in my new macbook pro. When I tried to insert Reign of Chaos CD, I run the icon and key in the CD keys as instructed. Then, once I proceed, I got the message "Couldn't create destination folder "warcraft III folder". (-50).

What I can do? Please help
orangeslemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Enter your CD key on the Blizzard site and download the digital forms of Warcraft 3.
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:39 AM   #3
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Wow, you are fast, TQ. Would it help? What is the problem actually?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Try here.

Others have had problems with installing Warcraft 3. I assume that you are trying to install on Mac OS X, and on Snow Leopard?

Downloading the native Mac OS X installer, or using the digital forms of the Warcraft 3 CD's tend to solve installation issues. Both of which can be found on Blizzards website.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:50 AM   #5
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Yes Xavier, I am installing on OS X snow eloped. I will try to download from blizzard and see what will happen.

appreciate your quick help
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:03 AM   #6
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Hm… A stupid question I guess… how to enter CD key in the blizzard website? I can't find any, or do you mean give it to the blizzard support
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeslemon View Post
Hm… A stupid question I guess… how to enter CD key in the blizzard website? I can't find any, or do you mean give it to the blizzard support
Create a Blizzard account. If you click 'Store' you will see an option in the upper right to register. After you have registered and verified your account through email, go into 'account management'. There you will see an option call 'Add or Upgrade a Game'. Here you will be presented with an option to enter a CD key. Enter both the Warcraft 3 RoC CD Key and then the FT CD Key, and you will be allowed to download both in their digital forms.

It should be easier to find the blizzard Mac OS X installer.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:58 AM   #8
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

It's downloading now, finally something is working here!! Thanks a lot. I will try again once downloading complete. Look at the speed, it might take hours…

Peace my friend
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:03 PM   #9
thezerox
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to thezerox
Is your WC III volume case-sensitive?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:16 PM   #10
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezerox View Post
Is your WC III volume case-sensitive?
I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean whether the CD key is case-sensitive?

I am downloading the mac installer to try out Xavier's solution, it is very slow and I have to continue to download again tonight.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Hasissues
macrumors newbie

Installing Warcraft 3 CD's onto Mac OS X

Hi all mac guru's

i noticed your reply's to this post and i need your help as well!
I want to play my Warcraft 3 Roc and TFT on my

Mac OS X 10.5.8
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

However i have a problem, 2 weeks after installing my ROC and TFT CD's I did my weekly apple software update download i have been unable to launch Warcraft TFT ever since!

I deleted all the files thinking i should try again by reinstalling, but now when i put the ROC, CD in double Click on the icon/ORC face icon it will not recognize and begin the installation process.

If i download the CD;s from the Battle net store all i get is a Cd and it still will not do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with CD's! Brand NEW

What is wrong with my computer? Please Help me!

-Hasissues
Hasissues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:55 PM   #12
thezerox
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to thezerox
Quote:
I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean whether the CD key is case-sensitive?

I am downloading the mac installer to try out Xavier's solution, it is very slow and I have to continue to download again tonight.
I meant if is your HFS+ partition as case-sensitive formatted.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:07 PM   #13
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezerox View Post
I meant if is your HFS+ partition as case-sensitive formatted.
I do not know this. I never touch anything on my OS X, it come one piece from Apple untouched. So, does it mean mine is not a case-sensitive formattted?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:58 PM   #14
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

It's working!!

I registered with Blizzard and downloaded the Mac installer (ROC) using my CD-keys. Then I installed using the installer... Whoala, everything is like a breeze afterwards.

Now, I am downloading the Mac installer for TFT, take long time but I am a happyman

Thanks Xavier!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:58 PM   #15
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I do not know this. I never touch anything on my OS X, it come one piece from Apple untouched. So, does it mean mine is not a case-sensitive formattted?
If you have not messed with it, then it is HFS+. That is the standard for a Mac OS X installation.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:01 PM   #16
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It's working!!

I registered with Blizzard and downloaded the Mac installer (ROC) using my CD-keys. Then I installed using the installer... Whoala, everything is like a breeze afterwards.

Now, I am downloading the Mac installer for TFT, take long time but I am a happyman

Thanks Xavier!
Interestingly enough, I posted at the same time you posted this.

Anywho, glad you got it working. Once you get everything up and running you don't need to save the dmg's. Warcraft 3 will run without a CD present. Also if you ever run into further problem, you can redownload.

I love Warcraft 3, enjoy!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:10 AM   #17
orangeslemon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

Anywho, glad you got it working. Once you get everything up and running you don't need to save the dmg's. Warcraft 3 will run without a CD present. Also if you ever run into further problem, you can redownload.

Tonight I downloaded the TFT Mac installer from Blizzard, and no surprise this time, everything was smooth and I am able to install TFT and even update the 1.24 patch. To complete my night, I test run Dota ai and it was perfect!

You really gives me a great favor Xavier. Warcraft is my all time fav game
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:14 PM   #18
halbouni
macrumors newbie

help me plzzzz :) !!

i got this new MBP with retina display and i cant install WOC or TFT :S i got an account on battle.net and i bought the game but every time i try to download it from battle.net it say file is broken or some **** like this :S can u help meeee with this one plzz ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

----------

ahh and one last thing i m not really good with this site :/ i dnt understand anything i barely know how to login so take my mail and plz reply on it
its mo.halbouni@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbouni View Post
i got this new MBP with retina display and i cant install WOC or TFT :S i got an account on battle.net and i bought the game but every time i try to download it from battle.net it say file is broken or some **** like this :S can u help meeee with this one plzz ???
halbouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:17 PM   #19
Nermal

WC3/TFT won't run on an OS newer than 10.6.8, which is not compatible with any of the "retina" models

Edit: There's mention of a universal update below so I may be mixing it up with Starcraft.

Last edited by Nermal; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:22 PM   #20
halbouni
macrumors newbie

another help maybe :D

thanks for the fast reply should i downgrade my software or something ??
or maybe i heard something of installing windows on mac :/ but i really dnt get it :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
WC3/TFT won't run on an OS newer than 10.6.8, which is not compatible with any of the "retina" models
halbouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:58 PM   #21
Canaan
macrumors member

The game installer and updater require Rosetta which has been discontinued since Lion. The software emulated Power PC based apps and while the game itself has received a universal update, it is only attainable if you download and install the game on a computer running snow leopard or before, with Rosetta installed. So unless you can find an older machine, install it on there and update it, then transfer it to the new one... you are kind of out of luck. I was lucky enough to have the updated version on mine and backed up when I upgraded to Lion.
Canaan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

For those with machines that came preloaded with either Lion or Mountain Lion, if you install Warcraft III using the Blizzard installers, all it does is create the folder in your applications folder as literally every other file created (i.e. preferences files) are generated once the program runs). Similarly, all the Frozen Throne installer does is update that same folder. Similarly, all the Frozen Throne 1.26a patch does is further update that folder. The only specific data that folder has are your CD keys. You can otherwise copy that folder into any Applications folder and the game will run perfectly.

So, what I did (given that the MacBook Pro in my signature came preloaded with Mountain Lion) was I installed WC3 on my old Snow Leopard machine, installed Frozen Throne on top of it, and then installed the patcher, and I force-quit before the patcher could load WC3, then I copied the folder to the applications folder of my MacBook Pro, and lo and behold, it runs flawlessly on my MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:39 PM   #23
Skoundrell
macrumors newbie

install trouble on imac 4

hi all,

having problems installing warcraft 3 on imac 4 running 10.6.8. so far as i can tell, it's been used on a pc up until now (bought 2nd hand via e-bay). i'm giving crossover a whirl, which installs w3 fine, but then can't recognise the disk in the drive. is there any way to get the game up and running without forking out for a new disk? key works fine so far...

thanks in advance.
Skoundrell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games